ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball -- perceptions, expectations, reality

phantom_204

HB All-American
May 29, 2001
So, last week I posted a thread asking the question that if all BIG basketball jobs opened today, how would the list rank out and where would Iowa be on the list. First off, thanks for the participation and feedback ... I thought there was a lot of good thoughts and posts. Looking at the lists, there were some differences in order at the top of the lists, which is to be expected, but Iowa was pretty much 9th or 10th in all the lists and I would pretty much agree with that assessment.
With that being said, the next step in the mental process for me is to think about what are realistic expectations for the men's basketball program at Iowa. This is not a referendum on the job Fran or a specific coach, but more along the lines of the question: If Iowa is the 9th best job in the conference, is it realistic that our basketball coach have 5th (random number) best program in the conference. Currently, the basketball team is in 9th place and a good portion of the fan base is very upset. The last several years, the results were (3rd, tied for 5th (4-way tie), 6th, 5th (4 way tie), 3rd (4-way tie), 3rd (3-way tie), 6th), so 9th place is the worst the program has seen in several years. Don't get me wrong ... as fans, I know we'd like to like to compete for the Big Ten title every year and be in the top 4. Considering the limitations Iowa has, is that a reasonable expectation or is that overachieving?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News