ADVERTISEMENT

Batteries...

The Tradition

HB King
Apr 23, 2002
So, I got home from vacation and here in Florida it apparently rained the entire time I was gone. The lawn was loving it, and Lake Tradition is way up.

Anyway, Mrs. Tradition (no pics) tried to go to work on the front yard with our climate-friendly Skil electric mower. She doesn't want me to mow with the rider up front because she says it scalps the grass. But the battery wouldn't work even though it's fully charged. She would get like 10 minutes of mowing time, put it on the charger, and do it again. After a few rounds of that the battery completely died. So, ordered a new one for $200.

While all that was going on, I was going to move the wife's car and it wouldn't start either. Put it on the charger and went to the auto parts store to get a new one. Another $200.

Finally, the lawn tractor to attack the lake side of Tradition Manor. Guess what? The freaking battery is toast. Wouldn't even take a charge. Another $100.

And to top things off, the upstairs thermostat was flashing "REPLACE BATTERY" when we got home, too.

$500+ on batteries in one day!

Batteries suck. That is all.

• Haha
Reactions: TheCainer
So, I got home from vacation and here in Florida it apparently rained the entire time I was gone. The lawn was loving it, and Lake Tradition is way up.

Anyway, Mrs. Tradition (no pics) tried to go to work on the front yard with our climate-friendly Skil electric mower. She doesn't want me to mow with the rider up front because she says it scalps the grass. But the battery wouldn't work even though it's fully charged. She would get like 10 minutes of mowing time, put it on the charger, and do it again. After a few rounds of that the battery completely died. So, ordered a new one for $200.

While all that was going on, I was going to move the wife's car and it wouldn't start either. Put it on the charger and went to the auto parts store to get a new one. Another $200.

Finally, the lawn tractor to attack the lake side of Tradition Manor. Guess what? The freaking battery is toast. Wouldn't even take a charge. Another $100.

And to top things off, the upstairs thermostat was flashing "REPLACE BATTERY" when we got home, too.

It may behoove you to learn battery maintenance or maybe invest in a $25 trickle charger.

Reactions: Joes Place

Apparently karma is bitch.

• Haha
Reactions: Gimmered
It may behoove you to learn battery maintenance or maybe invest in a $25 trickle charger.

They also make things for lead-acid car batteries (or lawn tractor starter batteries) called "desulfators", which can recover a battery that's failing due to non-use. Cleans the sulfate deposits off the plates that build up on partly discharged (or non-maintained) batteries.

They are even cheaper than trickle chargers (but you need to disconnect from your car, because they could mess with your car's electronics systems w/ the pulses they push into the battery)

Riveting stuff

How old were all the batteries?

Skil? Please!
Season 17 What GIF by America's Got Talent

Not really as batteries are maintenance free, as long as they aren't inactive for a long period of time.
Li ion are, so long as you don't leave them uncharged after use.

Lead acid, not so much.
High or low temps w/o ensuring they are well charged reduces their lifespans. It's when the sulfates start building up on the lead plates. So, vehicles that are not driven much, and then only on short trips never fully get the battery back to a full charge. A battery tender is the tool you want to keep those in shape when you're not driving much.

Most batteries will last a while if you fully charge them between uses.

I've noticed our batteries don't last in Florida. I replace car battery down there every 2 years but back in midwest it's around 4 years. Thought it would be the opposite with cold winters. That's even with having a trickle charger on the Florida battery when not there.

Li ion are, so long as you don't leave them uncharged after use.

Lead acid, not so much.
High or low temps w/o ensuring they are well charged reduces their lifespans. It's when the sulfates start building up on the lead plates. So, vehicles that are not driven much, and then only on short trips never fully get the battery back to a full charge. A battery tender is the tool you want to keep those in shape when you're not driving much.

Most batteries will last a while if you fully charge them between uses.
If car batteries don't sit unused for weeks, they last a long time. I know as I have 6 operable vehicles I keep maintained. The oldest battery is 7 years, and the second oldest is 6 years.

Did you remember to check Mrs. Trad's nightstand? Those are probably toast too.

I've noticed our batteries don't last in Florida. I replace car battery down there every 2 years but back in midwest it's around 4 years. Thought it would be the opposite with cold winters. That's even with having a trickle charger on the Florida battery when not there.
Batteries do not perform as well in cold
But heat is what can really lower their lifespan.

Reactions: Capital1Hawk

Trad, this is one time I'm with you. I try to stay away from batteries except for things like a drill. Everything else is gas or AC. i just purchased a small corded blower to use when I don't want to use my gas blower. I don't have to worry about charging or the battery going bad, it just works every time and I have no problem winding up the cord. That's certainly easier and lasts longer than having to do "battery maintenance".

That's certainly easier and lasts longer than having to do "battery maintenance".

Battery maintenance is far simpler than draining oil and refilling.
It's literally "plugging something in" once a week or two.

Battery maintenance is far simpler than draining oil and refilling.
It's literally "plugging something in" once a week or two.

It's simpler for me, especially when i just pug it in. I'm not sold on the use of batteries because they make the device (drill, car, etc) basically throw away when the battery goes bad. Until there's more standard battery options, I'll stick with what I have.

It's simpler for me, especially when i just pug it in. I'm not sold on the use of batteries because they make the device (drill, car, etc) basically throw away when the battery goes bad.

You're unable to get replacement "drill" or "car" batteries?

Maybe shop for better quality stuff that you can easily purchase replacements for...

Maybe shop for better quality stuff that you can easily purchase replacements for...
When I say, car, I mean EV batteries. The cost to replace many drill batteries is basically the cost to buy a new drill. Like many things in the world today, it's through away.

The replacement battery for the electric lawn mower is $200… same as a car battery.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT