ADVERTISEMENT

BB Recruiting class rankings

perryhawk

HR Legend
Apr 3, 2008
Perry, Iowa
B10 BB Recruiting Rankings 2023

Okay, I was curious to see where our basketball recruiting class ranked with the recent Dembele commitment.....Rivals has us a 4th in the B10 behind MSU, Ohio State, and Maryland.....thought it might be higher but I still feel good about this class.

National Rankings
This site has us at 39th nationally.....which doesn't compute with or compare with Rivals ranking in the B10 as MSU, Ohio State, and Maryland (in that order are ahead of us) BUT then other B10 teams (Minnesota-Michigan-Rutgers) classes are rated higher than ours....hmmm.

Last edited:

Okay, I was curious to see where our basketball recruiting class ranked with the recent Dembele commitment.....Rivals has us a 4th in the B10 behind MSU, Ohio State, and Maryland.....thought it might be higher but I still feel good about this class.

National Rankings
This site has us at 39th nationally.....which doesn't compute with or compare with Rivals ranking in the B10 as MSU, Ohio State, and Maryland (in that order are ahead of us) BUT then other B10 teams (Minnesota-Michigan-Rutgers) classes are rated higher than ours....hmmm.
Use Rivals national ranking then.

Story from today, Nov 18:

Early Signing Period: Breaking down the Big Ten

SLEEPER CLASS: Iowa​

The Hawkeyes' class is headlined by four-star forwards Ladji Dembele and Pryce Sandfort, and they’re joined by three-star guard Brock Harding and three-star big man Owen Freeman. Fran McCaffrey’s recruiting class is one of the least talked about in the top 25 of the Rivals team rankings, mainly because there’s no headliner that jumps off the page. But it’s a good class nonetheless.

Dembele is a well-built prospect physically and can score inside, but is also very comfortable shooting from the outside. Speaking of shooters, Sandfort is one of the most elite shooting forwards in the country and should provide immediate scorers for the Hawkeyes.

Harding is a point guard with quickness and shiftiness that can score and distribute the ball. Lastly, Freeman is a big man that can score in a variety of ways and provide a low-post presence.

I admit that when I first heard about getting Dembele, I thought Fran was digging deep into his back up plans for losing Power/Estrella. However, the more I see and hear about Ladji, the more I like his addition. He has the tools to be a major contributor.

I really like all four of the recruits a lot and would have a hard time ranking them in order of preference. They all bring something different that adds to and rounds out the team very well. If JoshO or Mulvey can step up, the team is in pretty good shape for next year (although an experienced center would make me more confident), but if it is clear to the coaches that they can't make significant contributions, then Fran really needs to hit the portal hard for an experienced center, who can at least defend the basket and rebound, and maybe cut bait with JoshO or Mulvey. Regardless, the addition of Ladji makes me feel much better about next year...

I admit that when I first heard about getting Dembele, I thought Fran was digging deep into his back up plans for losing Power/Estrella. However, the more I see and hear about Ladji, the more I like his addition. He has the tools to be a major contributor.

I really like all four of the recruits a lot and would have a hard time ranking them in order of preference. They all bring something different that adds to and rounds out the team very well. If JoshO or Mulvey can step up, the team is in pretty good shape for next year (although an experienced center would make me more confident), but if it is clear to the coaches that they can't make significant contributions, then Fran really needs to hit the portal hard for an experienced center, who can at least defend the basket and rebound, and maybe cut bait with JoshO or Mulvey. Regardless, the addition of Ladji makes me feel much better about next year...
Now if in 24 we can add JT Rock and Donnie Freeman to go with Cooper Koch , I’ll be feeling like we will be on our way to sweet sixteen and possibly better than that

Story from today, Nov 18:

Early Signing Period: Breaking down the Big Ten

SLEEPER CLASS: Iowa​

The Hawkeyes' class is headlined by four-star forwards Ladji Dembele and Pryce Sandfort, and they’re joined by three-star guard Brock Harding and three-star big man Owen Freeman. Fran McCaffrey’s recruiting class is one of the least talked about in the top 25 of the Rivals team rankings, mainly because there’s no headliner that jumps off the page. But it’s a good class nonetheless.

Dembele is a well-built prospect physically and can score inside, but is also very comfortable shooting from the outside. Speaking of shooters, Sandfort is one of the most elite shooting forwards in the country and should provide immediate scorers for the Hawkeyes.

Harding is a point guard with quickness and shiftiness that can score and distribute the ball. Lastly, Freeman is a big man that can score in a variety of ways and provide a low-post presence.

This is the type of class that Fran develops into an upper tier team in the Big Ten. Harding and Freeman are very good together, I think both will surprise in the BIG. Pryce is a outstanding shooter and Dembele is a true power forward who can play in or out. I really like this class, hats off to Fran and his assistants.

Is Caden Wilkins a target?
Iowa has filled current spots but if Kris turns pro that leaves a spot for one more in this class or an additional for 24 class (4 JRs on the roster). If they do not fill add anymore this year then they would have five schollies available for 24. I think Wilkins would be a target for sure but there are several shooting guards Fran has high on his list.

National Rankings
Hard to take too much from the rankings. Iowa has two four stars and two 3 stars

National Rankings
Hard to take too much from these rankings. Iowa is ranked ahead of Illinois because they have two 4-stars and two 3-stars. Illinois has two 4-stars and one 3-star who is from France and the star of the 18-U French national team. Since he didn’t play in U.S., he was given 3 stars since he hasn’t been evaluated here. So Iowa has one more three star. Illinois is not taking a fourth prep. Underwood is holding two scholarships for the transfer portal.

So what does it mean? We don’t know how any of them will turn out.

Reactions: perryhawk
i don't understand the lack of ranking for Dembele? he's a 4* so he has to be top 150 at least, right? yet his profile has no state, national or position rankings.
He is a 4 star in Rivals, but only a 3 star on 247. Shouldn't impact how you feel about him as a recruit and what he adds to the team, but shared as you asked why isn't he being treated like a 4-star and tried to provide some context.

i don't understand the lack of ranking for Dembele? he's a 4* so he has to be top 150 at least, right? yet his profile has no state, national or position rankings.

He was rated kind of late, so they gave him a 4* grade and rating, but it's maybe not at a point where they would rework all of the position ratings. ie some guys moving up, others moving down.

Reactions: Quintana
Once a player comments to a program does rivals and 247 stop evaluating the players?

ADVERTISEMENT