ADVERTISEMENT

BB Recruiting Success...stacking classes

perryhawk

HR Legend
Apr 3, 2008
Perry, Iowa
Such a broad topic, so ambiguous.

I had a lengthy post written up and decided to delete it all.....because I'm not sure how to pull this together....I'm going on basic feeling which is not my norm. I usually have reasoned things out that I comment on..but here it is:

I feel like we could be on the verge of stacking some very talented recruiting classes......the class with the Murray's and Patrick and Tony has turned out to be a REALLY talented class without necessarily being highly rated. NOW we have Freeman committed....if Pryce and Estrella were to commit that would be a very talented class. Then we have Koch committed for the following year...a very talented start to that class. Are we on an upward trend? Are we seeing the effects of Luka and Keegan press....then hopefully Kris?

Interested in any thoughts on where are talent level is (overall roster) and where it appears to be headed?

I had a lengthy post written up and decided to delete it all.....because I'm not sure how to pull this together....I'm going on basic feeling which is not my norm. I usually have reasoned things out that I comment on..but here it is:

I feel like we could be on the verge of stacking some very talented recruiting classes......the class with the Murray's and Patrick and Tony has turned out to be a REALLY talented class without necessarily being highly rated. NOW we have Freeman committed....if Pryce and Estrella were to commit that would be a very talented class. Then we have Koch committed for the following year...a very talented start to that class. Are we on an upward trend? Are we seeing the effects of Luka and Keegan press....then hopefully Kris?

Interested in any thoughts on where are talent level is (overall roster) and where it appears to be headed?
Yes, I think the attention Garza and the Murrays have garnered have been helpful. No doubt. I am cautious about speculating on recruiting trends, though, because at the time I was looking at the Class of 2020 as being a colossal failure, so you never know.

One thing I will say is this: Fran has always gotten in early on big-time talent and interest has been somewhat reciprocated because of Fran’s likability and style of play. If Iowa continues to have success on the court and just so happens to finally get hot in an NCAA tournament, I think they’re going to land one or two of these high-end, 4-star recruits who can help elevate the program where Luka and now Keegan left off. I believe this to be true because I think Iowa is going to get their NIL program together that will help land one or two big fish that would normally bridesmaid Fran.

In the end, like it or not, it will boil down to NIL. I know everyone looks at NIL as a negative for programs like Iowa, but I think in time it will have a positive effect and actually help programs like Iowa. Why? Because NIL has been happening under the table at places like Kansas for a long time, anyway, and Iowa has never had their own bag man to compete with that. Now that any school can call upon those with a vested interest to pony up the dough, Fran is going to finally get an actual seat at the table for guys he normally wouldn’t. No, Iowa still won’t compete with Kansas, UNC, etc. for recruits, but now he has a legitimate shot of landing at least one top 100 level recruit every class, whereas before those kids were far and few between in actually committing. The blue bloods can’t buy them all. Lol.

That’s the hope at least. 😁

Maybe we are starting to see better talent on both the Men's and the Women's teams. Frans class of Bowen and Dix this year remains to be seen. Ogundele and Mulvey have shown little so far so maybe cart before the horse action? The Womens team is likely to start the same 5 for the 3rd year and certainly can make some waves with some very serious talent above and beyond the starting 5. Lisa's team is a preseason Top 6 team and I think they deserve it. I think Fran's team will end up an NCAA team but maybe not Top 25.
So long story short, the Women are definitely starting to stack some good talent but with the portal, how can you avoid attrition? The men's team has some proving to do but they DO have good talent. Will they improve and play well together? Only time will tell.

Perception of the program is essential to all of this (that and some legacy luck). Winning big games like the Big Ten Tournament Champ, having the player of the year, possibly lottery picks two years in a row, etc. really start to add up to enhance perception of a program. It ain't easy to do, particularly at a place like Iowa, and really appreciate what Fran has built.

I think you are probably on to something. I think all the publicity from Luka Garza is paying off and will continue with the story of the Murray Brothers. Success breeds success. Fran loves shooters and we will always have a few on the team to go with our other talent. That's a lethal combination.

Reactions: perryhawk

With Fran producing 1st Team All Americans the last 3 years and NBA Draft picks this year and last, that has to get recruits attention. Sure, kids like Luka and Keegan work hard on their games and deserve credit but Fran also deserves credit for player development.

The way Fran's teams play also gets recruits' attention; all the time they mention how they love the fast paced style. Fran's system allows his players to thrive.

Pulling Owen Freeman and Cooper Koch out of Illinois is huge, imo. And don't forget; both committed really early.

So, I do think we are on an upward trend. And it seems like Fran is not needing huge NIL deals from boosters to seal the deals, either.

ADVERTISEMENT