ADVERTISEMENT

Be A Teacher In America

I didn't start right away. Some classes at Iowa and then 2.5 years at a private school.
Kudos to you for paying it off on a teacher's salary. Not intending a debate with anyone about student loan forgiveness, but I am sure you feel better knowing you paid it off on your own. I still believe a satisfaction has to come with the sacrifice. Congrats and thank you for what you do for kids.

Kudos to you for paying it off on a teacher's salary. Not intending a debate with anyone about student loan forgiveness, but I am sure you feel better knowing you paid it off on your own. I still believe a satisfaction has to come with the sacrifice. Congrats and thank you for what you do for kids.

Which is why I struggle just forgiving everyone else’s loans. I’m not going to “whine” about it though.

Overworked my ass they’re protected by the best union in the country. My wife works 40 hours a week and does great as a teacher. Pay? 86,000 with a masters for working 9.5 months with holidays off and two extended breaks during the year? Seems beyond fair. As far as all of the shooting shit in your post pretty much anyone with any job with two doors to get in faces the same threat..
Best union? Holy crap. In Iowa we have zero power. No union power at all and can’t strike. Yeah great situation.

Be a teacher in America

- Overworked
- Underpaid
- Constant anxiety around the possibility of gun violence at your school
- A mass shooting actually occurs
- Many of your students are murdered
- Police go on national TV and blame you, at least in part, for the shooting. Turns out you didn't actually do anything wrong.

Apply now!
Actually, my no-pics daughter works in a title one school and lives #1 & 2, but doesn't really worry about a mass shooting. She's too busy dealing with constant verbal abuse and breaking up the 4x daily fist fights. Apparently these brawls are coordinated via some social media app and the teachers are the last to find out. Good times.

Reactions: Tom Paris
I agree with you here but it is a societal issue. Fatherless homes and zero backbone from institutions. This stuff was never tolerated back in the day and now we allow it because admin is more afraid of the parents and parents side with their kids over adults now when confronted about behavior issues.
So hire someone to beat the parents' a**es.......problem solved.

Reactions: hexumhawk
Good one.
giphy-2.gif

Why would anyone that wasn’t smart enough to keep their identity private, continue to talk about posting and tweeting while working at a school? Are they not smart enough to understand the school board, parents and staff can see every post and tweet they did during school hours?

So like most others start out then…

Sounds about right. Several people working in science or science related careers struggle to make much over 60k. I've also known nurse practitioners that are responsible for seeing and treating patients that made less than an I kindergarten teacher.
Nurses with 2 year degrees are making over 60k. Nurse practitioners well over 100k.
Overworked my ass they’re protected by the best union in the country. My wife works 40 hours a week and does great as a teacher. Pay? 86,000 with a masters for working 9.5 months with holidays off and two extended breaks during the year? Seems beyond fair. As far as all of the shooting shit in your post pretty much anyone with any job with two doors to get in faces the same threat..
Then you’re wife is a poor teacher. 40 hours lol. Like any salaries position a good teacher will surpass that by a ways. 86 k? Not many schools reach that. I have a masters +30 hours and won’t reach that for another 10 years if we get 3% a year and that will be nearing 40 years of teaching.
0% chance you know what the fugg you're talking about. I understand how hard the idea of math can be though.
No way. Unless there is way more to that story. Like they are the principal that teaches an hour.

Sadly, another person that doesn’t understand public school teacher’s pay is public information and lacks the ability to look it up.

Actually, my no-pics daughter works in a title one school and lives #1 & 2, but doesn't really worry about a mass shooting. She's too busy dealing with constant verbal abuse and breaking up the 4x daily fist fights. Apparently these brawls are coordinated via some social media app and the teachers are the last to find out. Good times.
These guys working in their offices, OR NOW AT HOME, have to break fights up and get cussed at all the time.

Why would anyone that wasn’t smart enough to keep their identity private, continue to talk about posting and tweeting while working at a school? Are they not smart enough to understand the school board, parents and staff can see every post and tweet they did during school hours?
Wow, you are that laziest, most uncreative, lamest poster on this board. Looked at your posts and you've never added an ounce of intelligent discussion. Good gig if you can get it, I guess. Keep it up. Life needs that bottom bell curve.
I like your initials.

Nurses with 2 year degrees are making over 60k. Nurse practitioners well over 100k.

Then you’re wife is a poor teacher. 40 hours lol. Like any salaries position a good teacher will surpass that by a ways. 86 k? Not many schools reach that. I have a masters +30 hours and won’t reach that for another 10 years if we get 3% a year and that will be nearing 40 years of teaching.

No way. Unless there is way more to that story. Like they are the principal that teaches an hour.
I have a masters and have 3 coaching or intramurals stipends and I won't approach 86K in the next 10 years. Not when they stop us on the pay ladder for several years at a time and a $100 raise to the base.

I have a masters and have 3 coaching or intramurals stipends and I won't approach 86K in the next 10 years. Not when they stop us on the pay ladder for several years at a time and a $100 raise to the base.
Is your coaching part of your contract with the school or is that separate from your contract for teaching?

My wife (no pic) makes pretty good at her district. Next year she will make nearly 80,000. Not bad for a teacher. This will be her 22nd year and she has a Master's. When I changed districts (mental health reasons) I took a major pay cut. Next year will be my 24th year and I have a Master's and will barely make 60,000. I am really happy with my new job, but feel I am grossly underpaid. I have to remind myself that happiness is more important than money.

Reactions: Tom Paris

I don’t think you want to be comparing teaching with nursing. You will lose whatever argument you’re trying to make.

Just saw this thread. It is 7 pages now, so TLDR.

I have a question ... why are there so many teachers posting all the time on HROT? ;)

86,688 for a 192 day contract = 451.00/day.
Most other jobs work 235 days, so the annual pay = 451 x 235 days = 105,985 equivalent to folks who work all year. Plus the IPERs, health, early retirement bonus. My wife took 2 early retirements = 40,000...
So in other words they didn't make 100,000 like you said, correct? Not all district health insurances are good, actually most are pretty shitty.

ADVERTISEMENT