ADVERTISEMENT

Beard in the portal

Because he's really tall for a 125 and has the frame for 133.

I wouldn't call him undersized at 125, I'd call him outmuscled. Don't really see how he puts on much muscle/strength and maintains 125, and see him having to bump to 133 in the future.
I feel like we’ve entered the twilight zone. It hurts my brain to consider the idea of an outmuscled 125 moving up a weight and not having similar problems. Kinda like the kid who swallowed the spider to catch the fly, perhaps?

Reactions: Lambertt
I feel like we’ve entered the twilight zone. It hurts my brain to consider the idea of an outmuscled 125 moving up a weight and not having similar problems. Kinda like the kid who swallowed the spider to catch the fly, perhaps?
You cant imagine someone that puts on muscle also gains weight? Maybe you are in the twilight zone

You cant imagine someone that puts on muscle also gains weight? Maybe you are in the twilight zone
Yeah, but if one needs to put on muscle to compete with 125’s it might be next level shite to get strong enough for 133.

But I’m just talking smack. DA was clearly limited by his shoulder last season.

Spot on. I know Drake weighed in the low to mid 140's earlier in the fall and was not "fat" and out of shape at all. He's just good a cutting weight and that probably affected his strength coming down 15 plus pounds with 1 hour weigh ins unlike HS. He'll be a big 133 in a few years and Nate J should be a career 125. And I'm positive that was fully discussed before Nate decided on committing to Iowa.
Why do you think high school weigh ins are different? They go to weigh ins , make weight and wrestle within the hour after. And remember, there is no intermission halfway through the dual

Reactions: Gobblin
Well you see Mr. Dub, the body is mainly composed of 4 things: water, muscle, fat, and bone. When cutting weight, first thing to go is water, then fat, then muscle, can't cut bone.

When one runs out of water to cut, and doesn't really have any fat (which Drake doesn't), the body starts losing muscle. This is indicative of somebody cutting too much weight. This loss of muscle due to excessive weight loss can cause a significant lack of strength. When one is wrestling at a more natural weight, even though the other wrestlers are bigger as well, you might find that the wrestler previously cutting too much weight is much stronger at a more natural weight relative to his competitors.

FURTHERMORE, if you're cutting 15 pounds to 125, you're cutting roughly 11 percent of your bodyweight. You can be at 17 pounds for about the same percentage at 133, so you could theoretically be heavier relative to the weight class.

TLDR: you're focusing way too much on strength and not enough on frame. Drake clearly has the frame for 133 with his height, and even though he appears outmuscled it could be more a factor of being at a weight too low relative to his frame.

It feels like ASU/Michigan/Cornell make the most sense if Beard wants to go to a team fighting for a trophy and make a difference.
If your team can't win a National Title what should he care? Go to a place with good coaching and a place he will wrestle and go back and put it to PS national champ at 197.

Only way I would take is if he could make 184. Otherwise he just does not fit. I know Franklin has gone down a bit ranking wise but I really like him and his ceiling.

Don’t want to be anti Assad but beard would likely smash him. Resumes completely different levels.
I would tend to agree with this, and I didn't see a ton of Beard's matches but the ones I did he really showed some big time potential offensively. The kid is really good and if he gets better as you would hope, look out. He'll be a really good addition for somebody.

Well you see Mr. Dub, the body is mainly composed of 4 things: water, muscle, fat, and bone. When cutting weight, first thing to go is water, then fat, then muscle, can't cut bone.

When one runs out of water to cut, and doesn't really have any fat (which Drake doesn't), the body starts losing muscle. This is indicative of somebody cutting too much weight. This loss of muscle due to excessive weight loss can cause a significant lack of strength. When one is wrestling at a more natural weight, even though the other wrestlers are bigger as well, you might find that the wrestler previously cutting too much weight is much stronger at a more natural weight relative to his competitors.

FURTHERMORE, if you're cutting 15 pounds to 125, you're cutting roughly 11 percent of your bodyweight. You can be at 17 pounds for about the same percentage at 133, so you could theoretically be heavier relative to the weight class.

TLDR: you're focusing way too much on strength and not enough on frame. Drake clearly has the frame for 133 with his height, and even though he appears outmuscled it could be more a factor of being at a weight too low relative to his frame.
thank you....

Reactions: el dub
Morningstar at 157 was an example for me of a guy losing muscle and strength to make weight. Was much stronger after moving up to 165.
lots of examples to pick from….you could use d. weber as a possiblity.

I honestly think you are better off now days to eat and bulk up and wrestle a more natural weight than to cut a big amount to hold a weight. This really shows up in a tournament setting for big cutters. Maintaining a constant weight year round is much better long term for a wrestler than ballooning and shrinking over and over. I think T n T have figured this out by most of the guys off season interviews. The rules are a lot different than even 10 years ago for weight cutting.

Everything I've heard indicates Ayala is undersized now and likely a career 125. Why does everyone keep penciling him in at 133? Honest question

Probably because he is taller than the average 125 pounder and looks skinny. So adding eight pounds of muscle on a good weight program would seem to be not just an easy task, but probably would make him a better athlete.

Reactions: redghost1974
I would tend to agree with this, and I didn't see a ton of Beard's matches but the ones I did he really showed some big time potential offensively. The kid is really good and if he gets better as you would hope, look out. He'll be a really good addition for somebody.
Few notable wins from last year - Hoffman, Buchanan and caffey. Smashed Geer who road Assad like a donkey last year.
Also lost 9-8 on a last second takedown to dean in wrestle off. Guy can score serious points. I would never take him over Warner. But at a different weight umm yes.

Kind of an interesting idea of him coming to IOWA and going 184. Not sure either is possible, but, at F*** st he had no where to go. Is he a big 197? Might be just a pipe dream but another high AA in our lineup and it is Game ON!!!

Kind of an interesting idea of him coming to IOWA and going 184. Not sure either is possible, but, at F*** st he had no where to go. Is he a big 197? Might be just a pipe dream but another high AA in our lineup and it is Game ON!!!

He weighed in at heavyweight for one of the late season duals (but didn’t need to take the mat). I can’t recall his weight but I wanna say it was 210ish.

AOC was a hope, but he just posted on instagram something like he’s staying around unc. I love our line up. 33-Schreiver is a gamer and puts up points. 57- Some tough young ins and 84-Quote me, Assad will AA! He wasn’t healthy. He is fine there

AOC was a hope, but he just posted on instagram something like he’s staying around unc. I love our line up. 33-Schreiver is a gamer and puts up points. 57- Some tough young ins and 84-Quote me, Assad will AA! He wasn’t healthy. He is fine there
I’m worried about Schriever’s ability to stay healthy. Or Ayala could be needed at 133 sooner than hoped for?

Probably because he is taller than the average 125 pounder and looks skinny. So adding eight pounds of muscle on a good weight program would seem to be not just an easy task, but probably would make him a better athlete.

Iowa needs some different resources, otherwise he ain't getting a good weight program.

Ya that’s the what if.. need CS healthy.. and well everyone else
Seems like alot of talent in the light weights. Wonder what happens to Schreiver the following year if Jersoga takes over 125, Ayala at 33 and Real at 41, I can see why Henson would leave this year.

Seems like alot of talent in the light weights. Wonder what happens to Schreiver the following year if Jersoga takes over 125, Ayala at 33 and Real at 41, I can see why Henson would leave this year.

22/23- Spencer 125, Drake shirts, Schriever 133, Woods 141, Murin 149.

23/24- Drake 125, Jesuroga Shirts, Schriever 133, Woods 141, Rathjen/Reyna 149.

24/25- Jesuroga 125, Drake 133, Schriever 141, Rathjen/Reyna/Block 149.

Henson could have went against Schriever for 133 next year and if he was still here the option for Woods to 149 and him at 141 would have been there the following year. The year after he could have again gone vs Schriever for 141. So in effect he only had to beat out Schriever. I have the feeling at the least things were not all roses with Henson before Woods joined and possibly him taking off could have already had legs.

ok MVPFAN thanks for the inside knowledge. Thank goodness they just didn't recruit over him like those other cheating guys.

Ok...let's hash this out. The options are this: 1)Henson announces transfer only a few days after Real Woods is announced 2)Henson was already planning on transferring

Option 1 assumes Henson was going to wrestle 141 and was pissed when the Hawks brought Woods in. In essence, Wyatt Henson (son of Sammie) did not want to compete against Woods or move down to 133 to compete against Schriever. I don't buy it simply because I don't think the kid minds competing against anybody. From an Iowa POV, Henson is not owed a spot. It's not like he was a returning AA. He was a good looking freshman on his feet, meh on top, really bad on bottom. The latter two could be cured (see Desanto and Marinelli). Bottom line is that I don't think Sammie Henson would let his son transfer purely for wrestling reasons.

Option 2 would read like one of the parties didn't like the cut of the jib of the other. Maybe Henson was already on his way out for whatever reason. Could have been personal, academic or maybe he just didn't like Iowa. It happens.

It takes more than a couple of days to make these decisions. It took Beard a year. In any event, loved to watch him, wish things could have worked out and good luck to him at Oklahoma.

Sweet we got Woods for a few years. I'm big time excited to see him step on the mat his first time at Carver in front of 14k fans!
Going to blow his mind too I'm sure!
Love to get Beard too!

Iowa needs some different resources, otherwise he ain't getting a good weight program.
I do not know how you can say that. Are you telling me that AD, Kemdawg, Marinelli, Young, Murin, Cass, Assad, and Eireman lost matches because they were undersized or weak? Throw in Warner while you are at it.

I just don't see Ayala making 125 after a redshirt. Bodies change a lot in the first 2 years out of HS, I just don't see him making it to end of the season without getting beat up from the cut. I'd rather him make 133 home.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT