ADVERTISEMENT

Beard in the portal

Beard to big, Lamont to small. We need someone right in the middle.
If only there was some way we could fuse them into LaBeard - Hawkeye 157 lb National Champ...

maxresdefault.jpg

could you imagine some of the comments if the woods/henson situation had not happened.

You would probably hear comments on how Iowa is making it a habit of recruiting over current starters in their lineup who also happen to be returning all-Americans.

Oh that's right, we've never had the privilege of doing so.

Reactions: IRONBIRD
It feels like ASU/Michigan/Cornell make the most sense if Beard wants to go to a team fighting for a trophy and make a difference.

Reactions: Pennstate1985
This is what I was wondering. Goes 133 or possible 125 safety net for Lee incase of a setback. Also let’s Drake rs, eat and lift hard in order to be a good sized 133 in two years.
Everything I've heard indicates Ayala is undersized now and likely a career 125. Why does everyone keep penciling him in at 133? Honest question

'Round these parts, any weight class within 2 weights (either direction) is fair game for any Hawk starter. In many cases, guys simply just need to hit the weights in the off season to mold into our brilliant HR hivemind championship lineups.
And if a kid isn’t having success at a certain weight, some around here think moving them up a weight.or two might be the answer.

Everything I've heard indicates Ayala is undersized now and likely a career 125. Why does everyone keep penciling him in at 133? Honest question
Maybe what you are hearing isn't correct?? Drake has the frame to move up to 133 & it will be a smooth transition when it happens. I think it will shake out where we see Jesuroga at 125 and Ayala at 133.

Because he's really tall for a 125 and has the frame for 133.

I wouldn't call him undersized at 125, I'd call him outmuscled. Don't really see how he puts on much muscle/strength and maintains 125, and see him having to bump to 133 in the future.

Maybe what you are hearing isn't correct?? Drake has the frame to move up to 133 & it will be a smooth transition when it happens. I think it will shake out where we see Jesuroga at 125 and Ayala at 133.
He’s getting horsed at 125. How about letting him fill out and at least catch up to the top 125’ers before moving him up to get horsed around at 133? Lol
'Round these parts, any weight class within 2 weights (either direction) is fair game for any Hawk starter. In many cases, guys simply just need to hit the weights in the off season to mold into our brilliant HR hivemind championship lineups.
they don’t even have to be starters. We like our guys.

He’s getting horsed at 125. How about letting him fill out and at least catch up to the top 125’ers before moving him up to get horsed around at 133? Lol

they don’t even have to be starters. We like our guys.
I get what you are saying, but after a full redshirt year & another year of maturity, it shouldn't be an issue. Drake getting horsed on the mat this year wasn't so much a size or weight issue, it's a strength issue. He's going to have a hard time getting stronger if he keeps cutting down to 125. Strong healthy diet and solid weight program and he will be right where he needs to be to step into 133.

Does Iowa make a play at beard? How many years of eligibility does he still have? Could he beat warner out of the gate if he decides to stick around as has been indicated?

Reactions: el dub
It feels like ASU/Michigan/Cornell make the most sense if Beard wants to go to a team fighting for a trophy and make a difference.
Lineup wise yes all those make sense however the ‘22/23 year will be Beard’s 4th academic year correct? With 3 years of eligibility remaining? Ivy’s don’t allow grad students to be eligible athletically so that would seemingly rule them out unless he wants to transfer again. Michigan also really struggles to get any transfers through admissions that are not freshman or graduates. They only allow 60 credits to transfer so basically every kid no matter their academic prowess has to make up credits in a very short time. I can remember 1 mid career transfer in my 30ish years as a Michigan football fan, Grant Mason from Stanford. So unless Beard graduates between now and the fall Michigan is probably out as well.

Lineup wise yes all those make sense however the ‘22/23 year will be Beard’s 4th academic year correct? With 3 years of eligibility remaining? Ivy’s don’t allow grad students to be eligible athletically so that would seemingly rule them out unless he wants to transfer again. Michigan also really struggles to get any transfers through admissions that are not freshman or graduates. They only allow 60 credits to transfer so basically every kid no matter their academic prowess has to make up credits in a very short time. I can remember 1 mid career transfer in my 30ish years as a Michigan football fan, Grant Mason from Stanford. So unless Beard graduates between now and the fall Michigan is probably out as well.
So, ASU it is…..

I get what you are saying, but after a full redshirt year & another year of maturity, it shouldn't be an issue. Drake getting horsed on the mat this year wasn't so much a size or weight issue, it's a strength issue. He's going to have a hard time getting stronger if he keeps cutting down to 125. Strong healthy diet and solid weight program and he will be right where he needs to be to step into 133.
Spot on. I know Drake weighed in the low to mid 140's earlier in the fall and was not "fat" and out of shape at all. He's just good a cutting weight and that probably affected his strength coming down 15 plus pounds with 1 hour weigh ins unlike HS. He'll be a big 133 in a few years and Nate J should be a career 125. And I'm positive that was fully discussed before Nate decided on committing to Iowa.

Spot on. I know Drake weighed in the low to mid 140's earlier in the fall and was not "fat" and out of shape at all. He's just good a cutting weight and that probably affected his strength coming down 15 plus pounds with 1 hour weigh ins unlike HS. He'll be a big 133 in a few years and Nate J should be a career 125. And I'm positive that was fully discussed before Nate decided on committing to Iowa.
In the mean time, I’m eager to see him get healthy and smesh some guys at 125.

ADVERTISEMENT