ADVERTISEMENT

Beautiful Hawkeye touchdown… never gets old

That was such a fun night to be a Hawk fan, especially since it was putting it to USC.

That play reminds of my favorite few minutes as a Hawkeye fan ever, the opening kickoff of the 2003 Orange Bowl. I was in a bar full of Iowa fans, and I thought the place was going to come down. It was unreal.

The fact that the rest of the night was spent crying in my beer can't take away how awesome that moment was. Will never forget it.

That was such a fun night to be a Hawk fan, especially since it was putting it to USC.

That play reminds of my favorite few minutes as a Hawkeye fan ever, the opening kickoff of the 2003 Orange Bowl. I was in a bar full of Iowa fans, and I thought the place was going to come down. It was unreal.

The fact that the rest of the night was spent crying in my beer can't take away how awesome that moment was. Will never forget it.
Was at the game. It was as loud as I can ever remember at a bowl game. Kinnick like!

Also helped usc defense was complete garbage. That D was even worse than the one they had this year.
Yea that and the defense/special teams again helped the offense. I don't want to diminish BF's play calling in that game though because it was good, but 21 of our points did come from a kick return TD, Neiman pick 6, and 6 yard TD drive after a USC fumble. That game was a lot of fun to watch.

Same OC, same play calling, same offense. The 2 things that are massively different is that the offensive line was magnitudes better and protected the QB and ISM/B Smith provided credible vertical threats. In this offense if you can give the QB time to throw and you have multiple vertical threats, it allows you to exploit all of those drag routes to TE's and slot receivers, opens up the middle of the field for the TE seam routes, and opens up the second level for explosive plays in the running game. Its not that complicated.

Same OC, same play calling, same offense. The 2 things that are massively different is that the offensive line was magnitudes better and protected the QB and ISM/B Smith provided credible vertical threats. In this offense if you can give the QB time to throw and you have multiple vertical threats, it allows you to exploit all of those drag routes to TE's and slot receivers, opens up the middle of the field for the TE seam routes, and opens up the second level for explosive plays in the running game. Its not that complicated.
Good way of describing what is needed and it is a simple game, a numbers game, until you get down to the really nitty gritty of a playbook, techniques, etc.

A lot of teams are going to that 4 receivers on one side of the QB to flood the areas so we will see how that develops on offense vs defense over the next few years at least.

Good way of describing what is needed and it is a simple game, a numbers game, until you get down to the really nitty gritty of a playbook, techniques, etc.

A lot of teams are going to that 4 receivers on one side of the QB to flood the areas so we will see how that develops on offense vs defense over the next few years at least.
ISM was a true X and I think Brandon Smith was one as well, although I think he was woefully under-utilized. So that put Ragaini and Tracy in at #3 and #4 in those y and z slots, which were the right positions for them. Because Hock and Fant had graduated, that just left a young LaPorta at the TE position. With that personnel that allowed BF to run those vertical routes to open things up underneath for LaPorta/Tracy/Ragaini because they were being covered by the third, 4th and 5th best defenders in those man underneath coverages. That created a lot of space for the offense to operate, and space is the name of the game.

In 21 and 22 with no ISM or BSmith, that put Tracy in at the X which we all saw did not work. KJ was ok, but no ISM/BSmith and for whatever reason Charlie Jones didn't get ton of reps there. That put all the pressure on the tight ends, allowed the defenses to drop the Mike LB'er into coverage to take away those seam routes and without the vertical threats the field got compressed dramatically, took away the space for anyone to operate, and made everything really really difficult.

I think the jury is still out on 23. The good is that we have an experienced QB that can exploit defenses with the QB draw (see Joe Burrow against KC in the AFC champ game) which will keep that Mike/hybrid player in the box to open our great TE's up in the middle. The other good is that the addition of Anderson will bring us some speed on the edge. The bad is that we need a second X, so lets hope we either still get someone or someone emerges. This is of course not mentioning the Oline, because if the Oline play is trash this offense is trash no matter who you have in the skill positions.

ISM had the speed and the moves.

Reactions: Bishop1971

The best tailgate I've ever experienced was that Orange Bowl, and that (many hours) positive buildup was capped by the kickoff return and pure explosion in the stadium. And people forget, the game was tied at half so the game was not all terrible (not to mention it should have been a 7 or at worst 3 point lead except for the disastrous ending to the half).

The Holiday Bowl a few years back was spectacular but still only 10% of what the Hawks owe USC for the OB second half. Someday...

His speed and quickness were elite. He ran a 4.43 and his 10 yard split of 1.44 was one of the best ever. He was a game changer and I sure wish we had somebody else like him.
He really improved from his freshman year to the USC game. He was definitely a primary weapon in that game. I wish i had been to that bowl. I'd trade the Mississippi State one for that orange bowl. ISM was definitely fun to watch. I hope Anderson has an impact like ISM did.

Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT