ADVERTISEMENT

Been a week…….

There are more than 130k schools in the US. How much does it cost to armor up one school? Now multiply that by 130k.
The right screams about spending - but seem to be ok with exorbitant spending instead of just fixing the damned problem.
Here’s what I know we can all agree on…..baby steps in the right direction are a good start. Not everything has to happen overnight, but, it has to happen. And whatever helps identify and eliminate mass shooting, whether they are in schools or WalMarts are a damn good thing.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
I know nothing about that.

It is in the below thread which will also help bring awareness to the @strummingram ban.

Here’s what I know we can all agree on…..baby steps in the right direction are a good start. Not everything has to happen overnight, but, it has to happen. And whatever helps identify and eliminate mass shooting, whether they are in schools or WalMarts are a damn good thing.
Why can't the baby steps ever be about guns? It's been almost 25 years since Columbine and if anything access to these weapons has gotten easier since then.
But sure...let's spend untold billions turning schools into prisons instead.

Why can't the baby steps ever be about guns? It's been almost 25 years since Columbine and if anything access to these weapons has gotten easier since then.
Well, they sort of are like prisons. Mandated. A form of tyranny some may say. I’d like to start pulling kids out at 16 to train for the real world. Lots of youngins waste time struggling with outdated subjects. Would be much better off learning skills to put bread on the table.

Reactions: billanole

This is a good idea. Send the kids to a private for profit prison for school. Detention can be solitary confinement. Unruly kids can be sent out of genpop.

Reactions: NCHawk5
My suggestions were about guns……..but, I included security measures as well, you know, to be inclusive…….smh

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
My suggestions were about guns……..but, I included security measures as well, you know, to be inclusive…….smh
I don't see where I was crapping on your suggestions Mike. I believe that I was complaining about Duval's.

I like this…., my only concern is what happens when the shooter is behind one of those doors already? We all wonder how it happens, but it does.

and…..I try and keep things level headed in my posts. I see both sides of the political environments, and like to think I can converse with posters from either side. I like to leave my political beliefs at the door, but I share them when it’s appropriate. And what is more appropriate than this?

I’m a gun owner. Have been all my life. My sons, son in law, and many of my friends own AR’s. Prior military, so no problem with weapons in the hands of responsible folks. I’d possibly like to have an AR, but probably won’t. If I want to shoot one, I can get my hands on them with one phone call. Fun at the range!

1. not sure anyone needs one other than military or Law Enforcement personnel. No one is forming an Military force to take over the US

2. I think that Red Flag laws should be national.

3. I think background checks should be national as well.

4. I think there should be a waiting period for purchasing a firearm. 30 days would be ideal, but minimum of 3.

5. I feel there should be a national registry

6. And just so everyone knows, I’m not in favor of turning weapons in or anyone telling me I can’t own them. If I’m willing to do those things above, I feel other “responsible” gun owners should be okay with it as well.

Of course, not all are in favor of those things, but that’s where I’d start.
That's a great start. And I know you're a pretty moderate Republican but you also have to know that the Republicans will not budge an inch on any of this. They have pretty much already started planting their feet in the ground. The fact as someone says we have 130K schools in this country and we think we can keep them on lock down at all times is absurd. And we shouldn't have to. Our 6 year olds to 18 year olds should not be afraid of going to school. And as others have stated, what do you do about recess? Do we never let the little kids outside anymore? Mental health resources have been cut everywhere. Sure, most gun owners are responsible. However, not all are. The Sandy Hook guy was able to get the guns out of his parents house. In the end we are a nation w/a huge gun culture. I don't understand it as I grew up a city kid. I've lived in KC and parts of the city that are not the greatest and never felt threatened or felt the need for a gun. Is what it is. What you have stated is very reasonable but when the Republicans actually stand up and say it as well then I'll believe something might happen. If any Republicans actually stand up and say anything they will be admonished by their party. And you know it. It's not a both sides issue. I'm sorry.

Walmart is a private business, but they can install them if they would like to.

It sure seems the school mass shootings get more publicity than ones at Walmart.

Why are people against increasing security measures at schools as a step? It looks like it will be much quicker to be implemented than waiting on Congress and the President to get on the same page on passing gun control laws. Combine that with following security protocols on limiting points of entry into a school and making those entrances manned by someone trained to follow security protocols during school hours.
I’m not against increasing school safety at all. I’m against acting like that is the only approach to our problems with guns. Raise the age, institute red flag laws nationwide, require a database. Did you know that Florida’s red flag law has been used 6,000 times? I have to believe those laws when properly enforced have saved lives.

It sure seems the school mass shootings get more publicity than ones at Walmart.

Why are people against increasing security measures at schools as a step? It looks like it will be much quicker to be implemented than waiting on Congress and the President to get on the same page on passing gun control laws. Combine that with following security protocols on limiting points of entry into a school and making those entrances manned by someone trained to follow security protocols during school hours.
What kind of increased security measures are you proposing?

Reactions: RileyHawk
Hmmmm, but, you quoted my post…so I may have assumed you just weren’t happy about slow forward progress
I'm not happy about slow progress when it's ignoring guns.
I commented on Duval's post, you replied, and I responded.
I didn't crap on your original suggestions but you came in to support Duval's, which I think are missing the point.

Reactions: littlez
I like this…., my only concern is what happens when the shooter is behind one of those doors already? We all wonder how it happens, but it does.

and…..I try and keep things level headed in my posts. I see both sides of the political environments, and like to think I can converse with posters from either side. I like to leave my political beliefs at the door, but I share them when it’s appropriate. And what is more appropriate than this?

I’m a gun owner. Have been all my life. My sons, son in law, and many of my friends own AR’s. Prior military, so no problem with weapons in the hands of responsible folks. I’d possibly like to have an AR, but probably won’t. If I want to shoot one, I can get my hands on them with one phone call. Fun at the range!

1. not sure anyone needs one other than military or Law Enforcement personnel. No one is forming an Military force to take over the US

2. I think that Red Flag laws should be national.

3. I think background checks should be national as well.

4. I think there should be a waiting period for purchasing a firearm. 30 days would be ideal, but minimum of 3.

5. I feel there should be a national registry

6. And just so everyone knows, I’m not in favor of turning weapons in or anyone telling me I can’t own them. If I’m willing to do those things above, I feel other “responsible” gun owners should be okay with it as well.

Of course, not all are in favor of those things, but that’s where I’d start.
Whole lotta "I thinks" and "I feels" in that list....lets just pick one: How do you prevent Red Flags from being used as a vengeful/retaliatory tactic?

How about we start by simply requiring that all schools lock their emergency exits?... These should be exit only and alarmed upon activation by anyone.
I think in theory most schools lock all their doors anymore, but students and teachers enter and exit different doors for different activities. For example, one door is the entry, one is to the playground, one might be to a portable classroom, one is to the teacher's parking lot, etc. An alarm sounds like a good idea, but in practice there would some problems.

What happens with the school security personnel are cowards like Marjory Stoneman Douglas

I volunteer. My work here is complete.
Yeah…….no!

rejected-stamp.gif

Reactions: Moral
That's a great start. And I know you're a pretty moderate Republican but you also have to know that the Republicans will not budge an inch on any of this. They have pretty much already started planting their feet in the ground. The fact as someone says we have 130K schools in this country and we think we can keep them on lock down at all times is absurd. And we shouldn't have to. Our 6 year olds to 18 year olds should not be afraid of going to school. And as others have stated, what do you do about recess? Do we never let the little kids outside anymore? Mental health resources have been cut everywhere. Sure, most gun owners are responsible. However, not all are. The Sandy Hook guy was able to get the guns out of his parents house. In the end we are a nation w/a huge gun culture. I don't understand it as I grew up a city kid. I've lived in KC and parts of the city that are not the greatest and never felt threatened or felt the need for a gun. Is what it is. What you have stated is very reasonable but when the Republicans actually stand up and say it as well then I'll believe something might happen. If any Republicans actually stand up and say anything they will be admonished by their party. And you know it. It's not a both sides issue. I'm sorry.
Thank you for recognizing that I’m a moderate Republican. And I appreciate the candid response. You aren’t wrong on much of it.

the part I hope you are wrong on is the not budging part! I’m hopeful, but not delusional

Reactions: littlez
Thank you for recognizing that I’m a moderate Republican. And I appreciate the candid response. You aren’t wrong on much of it.

the part I hope you are wrong on is the not budging part! I’m hopeful, but not delusional
Moderates don't matter.

So you are against increasing security in schools and only want gun control? That's fine. We will just agree to disagree.
I don't think anyone being reasonable is against these types of measures, but considering the overwhelming contempt for public schools and teachers in some GOP dominated echo chambers, how seriously would this be implemented once the proletariat sees the price tag involved? We can't even muster adequate funding and reasonable COLAs for our public schools now.

I don't think anyone being reasonable is against these types of measures, but considering the overwhelming contempt for public schools and teachers in some GOP dominated echo chambers, how seriously would this be implemented once the proletariat sees the price tag involved? We can't even muster adequate funding and reasonable COLAs for our public schools now.
Exactly.

Whole lotta "I thinks" and "I feels" in that list....lets just pick one: How do you prevent Red Flags from being used as a vengeful/retaliatory tactic?
That's easy - it would be illegal to do so. If you are found to have raised a red flag on someone without any merit you can be held criminally and civilly liable.

Reactions: sober_teacher
I think in theory most schools lock all their doors anymore, but students and teachers enter and exit different doors for different activities. For example, one door is the entry, one is to the playground, one might be to a portable classroom, one is to the teacher's parking lot, etc. An alarm sounds like a good idea, but in practice there would some problems.
This is absolutely the case. With this heightened awareness every place will have tighter scrutiny on their security but after a while it will cease. I'm all for having much better systems in place to secure all of our schools, but to think those will be anywhere near foolproof is foolish. Much more has to be done.

My conservative farmer FIL and BIL both believe some gun control needs to be put in put in place. And they live in Greene County (bastion of far right).

Even if you are righty, which I have no problem with, you need to contact your legislators and refuse to make campaign donations.

This should not be a left vs. right debate. This should be about how we save American lives.

What provisions?
OK, I'll try once more. If you are found to have raised a red flag on someone without any merit you can be held criminally and civilly liable.

Your position is akin to someone saying "we can't allow people to bring lawsuits against someone else because they might be unwarranted".

This is a good idea. Send the kids to a private for profit prison for school. Detention can be solitary confinement. Unruly kids can be sent out of genpop.
If there’s one things we know, prisons provide a lovely, healthy, nurturing environment. I bet all violent behavior would poof disappear from society altogether in no time.

Reactions: littlez and Moral
How about we start by simply requiring that all schools lock their emergency exits?... These should be exit only and alarmed upon activation by anyone.
Officially, I’m pretty sure this “supposed” to be the case already once the opening bell rings. In practice we know that schools don’t always follow this. The sad part is they don’t for usually pretty innocuous reasons - quick run out to the car for something, improve ventilation (especially in older buildings with no or crappy AC).

hopefully, one of the lessons schools learn from Uvalde is that schools make sure all non-main entrance doors are secured once the school day starts. It sucks, but teachers have to accept they can’t return to status quo.

What happens with the school security personnel are cowards like Marjory Stoneman Douglas
They can at least
Duval County is taking steps toward doing it in Florida. GOP mayor and governor.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT