ADVERTISEMENT

Been a week…….

And it would certainly appear that the initial distress of another school/mass shooting has worn off most people already……outside of those affected in Uvalde!

I truly hope that something is done….this time!
It’s a pendulum in life for so many things. I have three guns myself, but my view is that things have been swinging so wildly towards no restrictions for anything gun related that this gives us the chance for a slight swing back to the center. The center is where most people are on this issue. Are the negotiators in the Senate authorized to cut a deal? We will find out soon if there is a serious intention at reform, or if this is a NRA funded stall job. Again.

Something is done? Or something that aligns with your political leaning?

The county I live in has started by taking this step.

Are we going to install these at Walmart as well or do mass shootings with assault rifles only happen in schools?

Reactions: TheCainer and Moral
Something is done? Or something that aligns with your political leaning?

The county I live in has started by taking this step.

I like this…., my only concern is what happens when the shooter is behind one of those doors already? We all wonder how it happens, but it does.

and…..I try and keep things level headed in my posts. I see both sides of the political environments, and like to think I can converse with posters from either side. I like to leave my political beliefs at the door, but I share them when it’s appropriate. And what is more appropriate than this?

I’m a gun owner. Have been all my life. My sons, son in law, and many of my friends own AR’s. Prior military, so no problem with weapons in the hands of responsible folks. I’d possibly like to have an AR, but probably won’t. If I want to shoot one, I can get my hands on them with one phone call. Fun at the range!

1. not sure anyone needs one other than military or Law Enforcement personnel. No one is forming an Military force to take over the US

2. I think that Red Flag laws should be national.

3. I think background checks should be national as well.

4. I think there should be a waiting period for purchasing a firearm. 30 days would be ideal, but minimum of 3.

5. I feel there should be a national registry

6. And just so everyone knows, I’m not in favor of turning weapons in or anyone telling me I can’t own them. If I’m willing to do those things above, I feel other “responsible” gun owners should be okay with it as well.

Of course, not all are in favor of those things, but that’s where I’d start.

Are we going to install these at Walmart as well or do mass shootings with assault rifles only happen in schools?
Walmart is a private business, but they can install them if they would like to.

It sure seems the school mass shootings get more publicity than ones at Walmart.

Why are people against increasing security measures at schools as a step? It looks like it will be much quicker to be implemented than waiting on Congress and the President to get on the same page on passing gun control laws. Combine that with following security protocols on limiting points of entry into a school and making those entrances manned by someone trained to follow security protocols during school hours.

I like this…., my only concern is what happens when the shooter is behind one of those doors already? We all wonder how it happens, but it does.

and…..I try and keep things level headed in my posts. I see both sides of the political environments, and like to think I can converse with posters from either side. I like to leave my political beliefs at the door, but I share them when it’s appropriate. And what is more appropriate than this?

I’m a gun owner. Have been all my life. My sons, son in law, and many of my friends own AR’s. Prior military, so no problem with weapons in the hands of responsible folks. I’d possibly like to have an AR, but probably won’t. If I want to shoot one, I can get my hands on them with one phone call. Fun at the range!

1. not sure anyone needs one other than military or Law Enforcement personnel. No one is forming an Military force to take over the US

4. I think there should be a waiting period for purchasing a firearm. 30 days would be ideal, but minimum of 3.

6. And just so everyone knows, I’m not in favor of turning weapons in or anyone telling me I can’t own them. If I’m willing to do those things above, I feel other “responsible” gun owners should be okay with it as well.

I’ll add one

gun owners should pay for all of this. they should be on the hook for background checks, national registry etc.

On 4... even longer for first time buyer. It's water under the bridge if you already have a bunch of guns. (in most cases) Plus, letting the existing gun nuts get by without so much of a delay will decrease their opposition to these rules.

Make the barrier to entry for gun ownership a lot tougher, but once you've proven yourself, I'm not sure it matters so much.

I think the marketing for these ideas needs to center around "responsible gun ownership"... with great power, comes great responsibility. That sort of thing. Don't demonize guns or the people that own them, but try to create a new cultural expectation over the process of acquisition that says we have to weed out anybody that might be an immediate threat.

Reactions: Crafty Beaver

It sure seems the school mass shootings get more publicity than ones at Walmart.

Why are people against increasing security measures at schools as a step? It looks like it will be much quicker to be implemented than waiting on Congress and the President to get on the same page on passing gun control laws. Combine that with following security protocols on limiting points of entry into a school and making those entrances manned by someone trained to follow security protocols during school hours.
I'm not against adding security measures in school as a step. I'm very much against it being the only step. And I am very, very, very much against arming teachers.

We can all come up with scenarios that are going to get around any security measure or even gun control laws. The best thing to do even is to create security protocols to reduce the chances of a firearm especially an AR from entering the school to begin with.

But the security measures of each classroom locked securely would at least make it much harder for them to go to multiple classrooms and increasing the body count.

Plus there are other security measures and protocols that can be implemented to further reduce risk. Things like having only 1 or 2 entry points into the building during school hours. Both entrances manned by security during school hours.

Add one more thing to the marketing strategy here for responsible gun ownership... when attacking opposition to sensible reform, focus on the gun lobby and corporations looking to profit from free flowing easy to purchase weapons. Cynically attack them and their motives -- not the responsible gun owner.

And I am very, very, very much against arming teachers.
I know a teacher that was retired military that wanted no part of being armed. That just introduces more risk to the situation, especially if students know a teacher is armed.

Increasing security is the quickest thing that can be implemented rather than waiting on Congress to do anything related to gun control laws.

still looking for a few volunteers!
Moderate people? Probably not a good fit for me . Fascists are perfect follow the rules and u are fine. I'd probably be too random about. I'd just ban posters annoying me. Or that bore me.

Last edited:

I think eventually they will have killer police drones everywhere that will just insta-kill you if you open fire in a public place. You might get one shot off before the drone pings you in the head.

I think eventually they will have killer police drones everywhere that will just insta-kill you if you open fire in a public place. You might get one shot off before the drone pings you in the head.
Also predictive AI. NSA, ICE, FBI, etc already have complied and access to private data.

And it would certainly appear that the initial distress of another school/mass shooting has worn off most people already……outside of those affected in Uvalde!

I truly hope that something is done….this time!
they can't even get the the age raised from 18 to 21 to buy an AR. Nothing will happen. Nothing.

Why should we have to armor up our cities and homes because gun owners refuse to agree to some basic security requirements?

So you are against increasing security in schools and only want gun control? That's fine. We will just agree to disagree.
There are more than 130k schools in the US. How much does it cost to armor up one school? Now multiply that by 130k.
The right screams about spending - but seem to be ok with exorbitant spending instead of just fixing the damned problem.

How about we start by simply requiring that all schools lock their emergency exits?... These should be exit only and alarmed upon activation by anyone.

ADVERTISEMENT