ADVERTISEMENT

Been a week…….

And it would certainly appear that the initial distress of another school/mass shooting has worn off most people already……outside of those affected in Uvalde!

I truly hope that something is done….this time!
You want I should step in and do things my way?...............

Reactions: billanole
Reactions: sober_teacher

Interesting opinion piece. Thoughts?
Veeerrryy interesting. Thanks for the link.

I'm sorry facts make you feel that way. Maybe someday you'll grow and you'll be able to have adult conversations. Take it easy
Ahh, you and your boy jmsbfd tag teaming again.
jeez, the clown show rides herd across the fields of Iowa.

Interesting opinion piece. Thoughts?
You seem to be susceptible to the Appeal to Authority fallacy, so how many articles, videos, posts, etc would it take from others with on par credentials & experiences saying the opposite to change your mind?

Care to offer an opinion on the article I linked?
Hes has some fact, some hyperbole, some disingenuous (if not outright incorrect) points, and some absolutely asinine positions. My opinion; nothing in his background nor his position and rationale cause me to rethink anything on the subject.

So back to my question; how many articles, videos, posts, etc would it take from others with on par credentials & experiences saying the opposite to change your mind?

Hes has some fact, some hyperbole, some disingenuous (if not outright incorrect) points, and some absolutely asinine positions. My opinion; nothing in his background nor his position and rationale cause me to rethink anything on the subject.

So back to my question; how many articles, videos, posts, etc would it take from others with on par credentials & experiences saying the opposite to change your mind?

Always depends on the source and what’s being discussed.

As always thanks so much for not offering any specifics about what you disagreed with.

Always depends on the source and what’s being discussed.

As always thanks so much for not offering any specifics about what you disagreed with.

Ill give you specifics:
  • Hes wrong, an AR has qualities that make it a fantastic home defense weapon. He's clearly extremely limited in his bullet (and ballistic) knowledge (or at least the amount he will share for this opinion piece). The "through the wall" is very antiquated. There are bullets that limit or eliminate that issue.
  • Who's he to decide "legitimate use" for another? He said he has a handful of different guns for hunting alone - thats great for him. Id rather have one lower and several uppers for different uses (hunting different game being one of them, but not exclusively).
  • The "power and accuracy are useful for military purposes" can be easily refuted by googling the terms "XM5" and "277 fury".
  • The "knife through butter" is another incredibly misleading point - its completely dependent on bullet design and ballistics, nothing to do w/ the gun. Those hunting rifles he mentioned earlier in the article are much better at defeating that armor.
  • $1/rd? Wrong.
  • His logic of "I dont need it, so no one else should have it" - asinine
  • Making them illegal to own to circumvent confiscation - asinine
  • Thinking people will turn them in - just look at the anemic turn in rate of the bump stocks (well fewer than 1000 units turned in of an estimated 300K-500K)
  • Class 3 firearm? Hes terribly conflating being an SOT dealer vs owning NFA items. He's so jumbled on his understanding of that process, im not even sure what hes attempting to say.
I would venture a guess he has more than a few narcissistic tendencies, and I would think he's much more knowledgeable than this opinion piece shows based on what he says his experience is, but maybe hes arrogant enough for that not to be true. Once you come to the realization being "in the military" or "in law enforcement" doesnt automatically qualify you as an SME, you'll be better off. Much more relevant info to be had from armorers and ammo mfg ballisticians. All in my humble opinion of course - which you asked for.

So like I said: on par background/experiences offering contrary opinions (because thats all this article is). Are you changing your mind, or do you just agree because he shares your opinion?

Ill give you specifics:
  • Hes wrong, an AR has qualities that make it a fantastic home defense weapon. He's clearly extremely limited in his bullet (and ballistic) knowledge (or at least the amount he will share for this opinion piece). The "through the wall" is very antiquated. There are bullets that limit or eliminate that issue.
  • Who's he to decide "legitimate use" for another? He said he has a handful of different guns for hunting alone - thats great for him. Id rather have one lower and several uppers for different uses (hunting different game being one of them, but not exclusively).
  • The "power and accuracy are useful for military purposes" can be easily refuted by googling the terms "XM5" and "277 fury".
  • The "knife through butter" is another incredibly misleading point - its completely dependent on bullet design and ballistics, nothing to do w/ the gun. Those hunting rifles he mentioned earlier in the article are much better at defeating that armor.
  • $1/rd? Wrong.
  • Thinking people will turn them in - just look at the anemic turn in rate of the bump stocks (well fewer than 1000 units turned in of an estimated 300K-500K)
  • Class 3 firearm? Hes terribly conflating being an SOT dealer vs owning NFA items. He's so jumbled on his understanding of that process, im not even sure what hes attempting to say.
I would venture a guess he has more than a few narcissistic tendencies, and I would think he's much more knowledgeable than this opinion piece shows based on what he says his experience is, but maybe hes arrogant enough for that not to be true. Once you come to the realization being "in the military" or "in law enforcement" doesnt automatically qualify you as an SME, you'll be better off. Much more relevant info to be had from armorers and ammo mfg ballisticians. All in my humble opinion of course - which you asked for.

So like I said: on par background/experiences offering contrary opinions (because thats all this article is). Are you changing your mind, or do you just agree because he shares your opinion?

I shared the article because I thought it was interesting opinion from a gun owner that I hadn’t thought of from some angles. I don’t agree with everything or at least if it would be legal - such as that bit about reclassifying weapons to get around and talks on banning them completely. You disagree with him, fine.

Ill give you specifics:
  • $1/rd? Wrong.

Your first bullet makes me laugh. One could say that about anything.

Rocket launcher gizmo! Grenade! Tank! Bruce Willis circa 1988!

I shared the article because I thought it was interesting opinion from a gun owner that I hadn’t thought of from some angles. I don’t agree with everything or at least if it would be legal - such as that bit about reclassifying weapons to get around and talks on banning them completely. You disagree with him, fine.
Not only do I disagree with him - he presented incorrect information as fact. Lets not gloss over that - the impressionable will take pieces like this as gospel when its not true. I believe the current buzzword would be "misinformation".

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
Not only do I disagree with him - he presented incorrect information as fact. Lets not gloss over that - the impressionable will take pieces like this as gospel when its not true. I believe the current buzzword would be "misinformation".
What are your credentials?

The longer this drags out the less useful any legislation will be. The timing is tough with primaries going on. Even guys like John Thune, who is as safe as safe can be, was afraid to stick his nose out this week.
I guess if something is produced you have to take it, but from what I have heard I don't know if anything useful will be produced. Then you will have Dems leaving the negotiations, and Mitch McConnell and the NRA bagmen will have what they want. The Dems to blame for nothing happening.

ADVERTISEMENT