ADVERTISEMENT

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice

DooBi

HB Legend
Sep 18, 2006
Anyone go and see it? I was going to go with my son but I'm hearing it's really dumb. Not sure I want to spend the money.

I went Friday and quite enjoyed it.

It IS dumb - but so was the first one!

They definitely tried to shove in too many addtional subplots and new characters - but if you really, really liked the first one, the callbacks and general craftsmanship of the film make it an entertaining nostalgia ride.

They definitely tried to shove in too many addtional subplots and new characters - but if you really, really liked the first one, the callbacks and general craftsmanship of the film make it an entertaining nostalgia ride.
This so much. It felt like a sketch movie without a central plot. Still enjoyed it but then I came home and rewatched the original - it's far superior.

I just don't know. Dumb and Dumber 2, Anchor Man 2, Super Troopers 2, etc all were terrible.

You know what the best was? Top Gun: Maverick and I dislike Tom Cruise outside of the MI franchise. I still watched that streaming.

I'll wait because when I want to shit it off in 10 mins, I didn't pay $12 just to do so.

Reactions: ClarindaA's

Well crap. If Torbs likes it then I know it's shit! Lol

This so much. It felt like a sketch movie without a central plot. Still enjoyed it but then I came home and rewatched the original - it's far superior.
I actually loved it. I didn’t think there were too many subplots at all. They all come together at the end really well. The only issue I had was the ending for the character of Beetlejuice, but there was definitely some foreshadowing for that. I also knew exactly who Monica Belucci’s character was immediately because the family had just watched the original in the morning, and I loved that they brought in a character just hinted at in the original. My wife mentioned many elements that felt like a twisted, more-adult Hocus Pocus. That didn’t bother me because the original borrowed some elements from Return of the Living Dead (and hinted as much).

Pretty much this. First half was too slow introducing the daughter dynamic in the family . The chick who plays the daughter is mediocre at best in the role. It finishes strong and there’s just enough of Keaton to not be too much. All in all, for a completely unnecessary movie, they did about as good as you could hope for. 7/10.

Reactions: goldmom and torbee
beetlejuice-thejuice.gif

It was very good. It was definitely overstuffed, as is almost every movie today. The original was delightfully simple.

That said, they pretty much stuck the landing, the overplotting didn't end up ruining it.

I loved that they didn't sand off the gnarly edges of the original and make too soft. Winona Ryder and Catherine O'Hara were really good together. While it is obviously a bigger movie than the original, it felt like a legitimate return to the characters and tone of the original, rather than just a fresh retread of old IP.

Anyone go and see it? I was going to go with my son but I'm hearing it's really dumb. Not sure I want to spend the money.
I thought it was fine, and frankly better than I expected it to be after 30 years since the original.
Pretty much this. First half was too slow introducing the daughter dynamic in the family . The chick who plays the daughter is mediocre at best in the role. It finishes strong and there’s just enough of Keaton to not be too much. All in all, for a completely unnecessary movie, they did about as good as you could hope for. 7/10.
Interesting. I had the opposite reaction - enjoyed the first 2/3 but thought the climax fell a little flat for me.

Overall I liked it much more than I thought I would when it was announced,

I can recall taking my now grown children to see the first one with a couple of their friends and they thought it was awesome then,
Sequels are rarely ever as good though so you’re probably right.
Day-O….

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT