Do you believe in God?

• Yes

Votes: 77 43.3%
  • No

Votes: 74 41.6%
  • Unsure/Maybe

Votes: 27 15.2%

• Total voters
I suddenly realized how egocentric it was.....an omnipotent, loving God wouldn't pick one species above all other, especially not our species
That's the thing. It isn't even that he chose one species. He chose a subset of the species. The Bible says he created man in his image. Muslims are men so God's like "ahh well, they chose the wrong religion all those many years ago so **** all their descendents for eternity. To hell with everyone except my Christian faves."

What a loving God! That, my friends is true love.

That's the thing. It isn't even that he chose one species. He chose a subset of the species. The Bible says he created man in his image. Muslims are men so God's like "ahh well, they chose the wrong religion all those many years ago so **** all their descendents for eternity. To hell with everyone except my Christian faves."

What a loving God! That, my friends is true love.

Where did you get that idea??

I definitely don't believe that about Muslims.

That's not written anywhere in the Bible nor is it the doctrine of most Christian denominations.

I grew up in a strict Dutch Reformed family. I was really religious in my youth. I loved my church's youth group. Infact, those are my best memories of high school. I was in FCA. When I got to college I started questioning things. I would say I am Agnostic. I haven't really been to church since Covid but was Agnostic way before that. I do know I pray for my family hoping someone is listening. I don't really believe in the Christian view of Heaven as I believe a God that loves would welcome all good people. I always questioned why some snotty person goes to Heaven just because they go to church while a Muslim, Jewish, Atheist, or someone else can donate their whole life to charity and goodwill go to Hell. Always had a problem with that.

I grew up in a strict Dutch Reformed family. I was really religious in my youth. I loved my church's youth group. Infact, those are my best memories of high school. I was in FCA. When I got to college I started questioning things. I would say I am Agnostic. I haven't really been to church since Covid but was Agnostic way before that. I do know I pray for my family hoping someone is listening. I don't really believe in the Christian view of Heaven as I believe a God that loves would welcome all good people. I always questioned why some snotty person goes to Heaven just because they go to church while a Muslim, Jewish, Atheist, or someone else can donate their whole life to charity and goodwill go to Hell. Always had a problem with that.

I don't think most Christians believe that.

I'd rather be a loving Muslim than a hateful Christian. That's for sure.

Americans should be careful what they wish for as we enter an atheist culture. It will have unintended consequences, IMO.

Communism and Nazi Germany are two examples.

Wehrmacht_Heer_Gebirgsj%C3%A4ger_%28WW2_German_army_mountain_trooper%29_Field_Uniform_M1943_Koppelschloss_%28belt_buckle%29_Gott_mit_uns_Wehrmachtsadler_%28army_style_eagle-and-swastika%29_Hjemmefrontmuseet_Rakkestad_war_museum_Norway_2021-06-20_IMG.jpg

Reactions: HawkFan1298
#1 is more narcissistic. He believes himself to be the entire center of the universe with no eternal repercussions for his actions. Since he's an atheist, he's less likely to give to charity or volunteer. He judges all moral standards by himself. He can do whatever he wants.

#2 believes God created everyone in His image and he has to live up to a certain standard, unlike #1.
One thing that must be mentioned is God gave man free will to choose his path.
Bottom line is most of mankind has chosen independence from God’s rulership.

WTH are you always bold?
Been posting this way for over a decade. Nothing new to the regulars

Since you haven't met me or the others in person, you really can't. I've trolled you to my and other's enjoyment for the last couple pages. That puts me in the top 69%, easily.

You know I was just jesting, right?

You're easily my 10th favorite poster here...69% of the time. 😀

I know math is hard, but the poll says 81% believe in god.

I know reading comprehension is hard, but the HROT poll says 56% don't. :)

Do you believe in God?​

• Yes​

Votes: 74 43.8%
  • No​

Votes: 69 40.8%
  • Unsure/Maybe​

Votes: 26 15.4%

I know reading comprehension is hard, but the HROT poll says 56% don't. :)

Do you believe in God?​

• Yes​

Votes: 74 43.8%
  • No​

Votes: 69 40.8%
  • Unsure/Maybe​

Votes: 26 15.4%

Ah, the thread created by the poster. I assumed you were talking about the scientific poll that was the subject of the thread.

81% of Americans believe in god, which suggests HROT is not representative of the country. Hard to believe, I know.

Ah, the thread created by the poster. I assumed you were talking about the scientific poll that was the subject of the thread.

81% of Americans believe in god, which suggests HROT is not representative of the country. Hard to believe, I know.

I think HROT is probably more representative of the true number, given that 80% of Americans don't attend Church on Sundays anymore.

That's just my speculation.

Kim believes he is a deity, that kinda proves my point about atheists, no? :)

Hitler was not a Christian. Hitler never attended Church as an adult. He told his secretary Traudl Junge that "nature" was his religion and his valet Heinz Linge that once one was dead they were "finished." He also told Goebbels he "hated" Christianity because it was a "branch of Judaism" and that he would destroy the Churches after the war. The Nazis also killed thousands of Christian clergy.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_views_of_Adolf_Hitler
Maybe you need to reread that link

Maybe you need to reread that link

The Goebbels Diaries also remark on this policy. Goebbels wrote on 29 April 1941 that though Hitler was "a fierce opponent" of the Vatican and Christianity, "he forbids me to leave the church. For tactical reasons."[66]

According to Speer, Hitler's private secretary, Martin Bormann, relished recording any harsh pronouncements by Hitler against the church.[67] Speer considered Bormann to be the driving force behind the regime's campaign against the churches. Speer thought that Hitler approved of Bormann's aims, but was more pragmatic and wanted to "postpone this problem to a more favourable time":[68]

"Once I have settled my other problem," [Hitler] occasionally declared, "I'll have my reckoning with the church. I'll have it reeling on the ropes." But Bormann did not want this reckoning postponed ... he would take out a document from his pocket and begin reading passages from a defiant sermon or pastoral letter. Frequently Hitler would become so worked up ... and vowed to punish the offending clergyman eventually ... That he could not immediately retaliate raised him to a white heat ...
— Extract from Inside the Third Reich, the memoir of Albert Speer
Hitler, wrote Speer, viewed Christianity as the wrong religion for the "Germanic temperament":[65] Speer wrote that Hitler would say: "You see, it's been our misfortune to have the wrong religion. Why didn't we have the religion of the Japanese, who regard sacrifice for the fatherland as the highest good? The Mohameddan religion too would have been much more compatible to us than Christianity. Why did it have to be Christianity with its meekness and flabbiness?"

Reactions: hwk23
I think HROT is probably more representative of the true number, given that 80% of Americans don't attend Church on Sundays anymore.

That's just my speculation.
Hey 1298 at some point you just need to remember 2Timothy2:23-25
“Further, reject foolish and ignorant debates, knowing that they produce fights. For a slave of the Lord does not need to fight, but needs to be gentle toward all, qualified to teach, showing restraint when wronged, 25 instructing with mildness those not favorably disposed. Perhaps God may give them repentance leading to an accurate knowledge of truth”

I get what you’re trying to do but at some point you need to do agree to disagree . I have a passion for the Bible and will defend it but bashing anyone for their differing beliefs is not the answer. The truth is people believe things for different reasons. Atheists most likely have had some kind of trauma in their lives that make them question the existence of God. Doesn’t mean they’re any less of a human being . In a perfect world everyone would be able to see evidence of God’s existence, observe His creation and see the marvel in it. For some it’s hard to reconcile why a loving God would allow suffering . All we can do as Christians is try and set an example worthy of imitating Christ. It includes being peaceable and patient . Even in Jesus day most of the Jewish nation rejected him as the Messiah. But he refused to retaliate even when his executioners spit on him or slapped him in the face.
People change and one day someone who denies God exists may change their viewpoint .

Hey 1298 at some point you just need to remember 2Timothy2:23-25
“Further, reject foolish and ignorant debates, knowing that they produce fights. For a slave of the Lord does not need to fight, but needs to be gentle toward all, qualified to teach, showing restraint when wronged, 25 instructing with mildness those not favorably disposed. Perhaps God may give them repentance leading to an accurate knowledge of truth”

I get what you’re trying to do but at some point you need to do agree to disagree . I have a passion for the Bible and will defend it but bashing anyone for their differing beliefs is not the answer. The truth is people believe things for different reasons. Atheists most likely have had some kind of trauma in their lives that make them question the existence of God. Doesn’t mean they’re any less of a human being . In a perfect world everyone would be able to see evidence of God’s existence, observe His creation and see the marvel in it. For some it’s hard to reconcile why a loving God would allow suffering . All we can do as Christians is try and set an example worthy of imitating Christ. It includes being peaceable and patient . Even in Jesus day most of the Jewish nation rejected him as the Messiah. But he refused to retaliate even when his executioners spit on him or slapped him in the face.
People change and one day someone who denies God exists may change their viewpoint .

That's a good point. Debates seldom resolve these things.

When I was an atheist, I used to watch debates between atheists and theists and was seldom convinced by the other side. :)

"Christian terrorists who shoot up health care clinics and mosques?" 😆 How many dozen has that been?

You'd be wrong. Certainly.

Mao
Hitler
Stalin
Pol Pot
Mussolini
Kim family in North Korea

That's gotta be 100 million dead people under atheist leaders.

You're not even close to right.
Those guys were all men.

Half were white, half Asian.

Would you condemn men, whites or Asians because these monsters shared those attributes?

Of course not. But why not? Could it be that they didn't slaughter people in the name of their race or gender?

Those guys were all men.

Half were white, half Asian.

Would you condemn men, whites or Asians because these monsters shared those attributes?

Of course not. But why not? Could it be that they didn't slaughter people in the name of their race or gender?

Those atheists replaced the need for God that's planted in the human heart with atheist political philosophies, IMO.

Stalin should have stayed in the Seminary.

Reactions: hwk23
Religion vs Logic.

You simply can't get all those species on that boat, and if you could, how do you get them there?

How long does it take for the water to rise and recede?

How many humans?

Bible writers were stupid.

Reactions: Bulldogs1974
You can tell your son these responses:

1. Christians aren't supposed to ridicule gays or anybody else. There are plenty of non-Christians that ridicule gays. Many Muslim countries give them the death penalty. Many atheists ridicule gays, too.

2. Most atheists are that way because they grew up in atheist majority countries like Western Europe and now America. Just because someone grew up in a Christian country doesn't make Christianity false. Imagine if one grows up in a Christian country, becomes an atheist, yet Christianity is true? That's a massive error.

3. The vast majority of scholars believe Jesus was a real person. Even atheist scholars like Bart Ehrman argue that Jesus was real. Most atheists believe Jesus was a myth because they grew up in atheist cultures and haven't actually studied the evidence. So, you can tell your son that and give him this link. :)

Wow these are some really bad attempts at debating uro’s points. Like, really bad.

For me, the uncertainty is with the church. I've sat in too many homilies that spoke about abortion or gay relationships in a way where it's assumed we (Catholics) must all share the core beliefs that abortion is always wrong and gay marriage is illegitimate. There was a priest that liked to recycle his homily during the holiday season that disparaged other religions too.

I also struggle with the sexual abuse history of priests, and the act of coverup versus accountability with those involved, and the knowledge that a portion of my donation may support those legal bills.

Do I believe in God? Yes, but I don't view church as a must attend weekly event.

I love it when Christians try you persuade with scripture. The very nonsensical aspect. It's like their images of Jesus. Did they have cameras 2000 years ago?

Apply logic. It's nothing more than any other religious worship THEY (themselves) would ridicule.

Brian should go watch religulous. It explains how the stories of Jesus were basically plagiarism, how religious zealots that believe in the rapture don’t have an interest in taking care of our planet, and how narcissistic it is to believe you have the Answers because you have faith.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT