ADVERTISEMENT

Ben Kueter..nobody?

I know not everyone goes to the wrestling board but Ben committed to the hawks for football and wrestling. STUD in both sports! 3 star Tight End or linebacker. 6-3 225 ish and not done growing. Will likely be heavyweight and in the 250 pound mark in college. Big get!
Like how the young man projects ... seems like he could develop at LB, TE, or DL. Obviously awesome athleticism and toughness ... will be curious to see where he ends up for the Hawks.

Like how the young man projects ... seems like he could develop at LB, TE, or DL. Obviously awesome athleticism and toughness ... will be curious to see where he ends up for the Hawks.
I agree, I saw it posted in the lounge but not on this board. People should be stoked about this. This was a big get for wrestling and I think a major get for football. Glad he got past campbell’s yellow and red (aka black and white) bs..

How realistic is it to play both sports at the highest level? Have any guys done it recently?

Reactions: EKHawk
I agree, I saw it posted in the lounge but not on this board. People should be stoked about this. This was a big get for wrestling and I think a major get for football. Glad he got past campbell’s yellow and red (aka black and white) bs..
Unofficially, I think he was trolling the ISU football program in his visit.

Even tweeted the obligatory, positive things.

Unlike Deyo... heard he's also a good student.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
How realistic is it to play both sports at the highest level? Have any guys done it recently?
My first thought too. It's a nice idea, but both sports require an extreme amount of time to play at this level. I can't see Ferentz ever playing a kid who can't make it to every practice or team event. Similar situation w/ Brody Brecht. It's cool thing to say, but is it realistic?

My first thought too. It's a nice idea, but both sports require an extreme amount of time to play at this level. I can't see Ferentz ever playing a kid who can't make it to every practice or team event. Similar situation w/ Brody Brecht. It's cool thing to say, but is it realistic?
I think it is with him. Very few people can play at high levels in both... he is one. Brody may be one too.

Reactions: ChrisVarick
Coaches tend to be accommodative of guys who can throw 98 mph and/or win 4 state wrestling championships in Iowa .

Tom Brands loves Kirk Ferentz. Tried finding the video where Tom Brands talked about Cambus and Kirk Ferentz. That was glorious.

Reactions: IAFootball#1
One positive for him is that it sounds like he may be a heavyweight and thus not have to worry about cutting weight between football and wrestling. One less stressor mentally and physically.

Reactions: madmax1191
One positive for him is that it sounds like he may be a heavyweight and thus not have to worry about cutting weight between football and wrestling. One less stressor mentally and physically.
Yeah I think he will be walking around 235 or 240 when he is in college. Both Anthony Cassar from Penn State and Kyle Snyder from Ohio State were right around this weight winning championships as heavyweights.

Football isnt nearly as technical as wrestling, so the more apt question would be; how does Brands feel about a wrestler not being a full time wrestler.

Reactions: Incredible Hawk
Ben is a monster. I knew he was built different paying kindergarten flag football with my son. I know it is a crazy comment to make. Not sure what position he will play but I'm sure he will be a technician and give intense effort.

Reactions: Blair Sanderson
I see him playing football through a bowl and then jumping into Wrestling mode through NCAAs. He'll miss some meets and Midlands, but should wrestle enough to have a chance at a good seed in Big Tens which would catapult him too a good NCAA seed.

And I hope to God he's a HWT, otherwise he's got no shot at being successful in football at anything other than safety.

I see him playing football through a bowl and then jumping into Wrestling mode through NCAAs. He'll miss some meets and Midlands, but should wrestle enough to have a chance at a good seed in Big Tens which would catapult him too a good NCAA seed.

And I hope to God he's a HWT, otherwise he's got no shot at being successful in football at anything other than safety.
He is wrestling this year (his junior season) at 220lbs. Will likely move to HWT for his senior season. Looking at his Dad, he has the genetics to get a little taller. Has the chance to be a four time Iowa Champ, winning the title at four differenct weights starting at 160lbs as a freshman and then 195 last year.

Football isnt nearly as technical as wrestling, so the more apt question would be; how does Brands feel about a wrestler not being a full time wrestler.
It's a no-lose situation for Brands. It doesn't count against his 11.7 or how many scholarships wrestling gets. Keuter can join the wrestling program I would think soon after Jan. 1 every year (unless Iowa is in CFP).

Interesting prospect in both sports. KF likes multi-sports guys as it allows them to see how people compete. Glad he's open to Brecht and Keuter at least giving it a try.

It's a no-lose situation for Brands. It doesn't count against his 11.7 or how many scholarships wrestling gets. Keuter can join the wrestling program I would think soon after Jan. 1 every year (unless Iowa is in CFP).

Interesting prospect in both sports. KF likes multi-sports guys as it allows them to see how people compete. Glad he's open to Brecht and Keuter at least giving it a try.
Wrestling gets 9.9 scholarships. You are correct, it is a win-win for the wrestling program.

9.9...Just under the number needed to fill the 10-weight lineup. It feels like a slap in the face.
That has been the scholarship level for a while. That is why you rarely have guys get full rides, most get partials. Only the elite of the elite get a full ride.

Last edited:
My guess is if he takes off in football with a future past college he drops wrestling and if not and not playing he drops football for wrestling.

My guess is if he takes off in football with a future past college he drops wrestling and if not and not playing he drops football for wrestling.
Might be similar to Iowa's Mark Sindlinger, a 3 year starter on the Football Team, 2x Big Ten Champion and 2x All-American on the Wrestling Team at HWT.

Sindlinger was a Fargo Freestyle Champion as a Junior, and Greco Champion as a Senior. Kueter took 2nd at Fargo Freestyle this summer before entering his Junior Season.

Sindlinger: "In High School I was the Wrestler who played Football, in College I was the Football Player who Wrestled".

Kueter is currently a 4 sport athlete (Wrestling, Football, Baseball, Track), so cutting down to two sports should be easy.................Ha! Should be interesting to see how this unfolds. Kueter is currently the overall #9 Wrestling prospect in his class. That's some deep water there.

This is a great get for Iowa either way, and he seems like a great kid to boot.

He’s committed to Iowa so he’ll be a 2 star soon hurrrrrrr durrrrrrrr.

ADVERTISEMENT