ADVERTISEMENT

Ben Sasse To Write B1G Presidents

Senator Sasse should concentrate on doing the work he’s being paid to do.
True, but he's also playing to his constituants. Anyone who doesn't think this will have serious financial ramifications if there's no college football season, isn't paying attention. Between this and the players threat to unionize, its quite possible we're seeing the dawn of the end of college athletics.

Whether this should be his focus or not is a different story, but he makes an excellent point -

Instead of being on a structured, regimented practice field 5 days a week, tens of thousands of college athletes will instead be socializing, shopping, partying, trips to gas stations, going to Walmarts and basically doing whatever TF they want...spreading germs all over the place for the next few months.

Canceling the season is about the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Well that settles it ….. the Sasse has spoken. I expect all 14 B10 presidents to immediately reconvene and reconsider their decision. No way they took into account his excellent points.

Also, a very subtle maneuver to mention his prior position as President of Midland Lutheran College in order to bolster his argument.

Senator Sasse should concentrate on doing the work he’s being paid to do.

Bringing tens of millions of dollars to Lincoln that will save a lot of peoples jobs and generate millions of dollars in tax revenue for services needed by citizens isn’t what he’s paid to do?

Oh right, I forget the AOC crowd literally thinks politicians are elected to destroy jobs, my bad.....

https://time.com/5530386/aoc-amazon-new-york-hq2/

Whether this should be his focus or not is a different story, but he makes an excellent point -

Instead of being on a structured, regimented practice field 5 days a week, tens of thousands of college athletes will instead be socializing, shopping, partying, trips to gas stations, going to Walmarts and basically doing whatever TF they want...spreading germs all over the place for the next few months.

Not only that, but hundreds of these players across college sports view this as a chance to get away from crappy home situations, be it from broken homes or gang issues, etc etc.

Well that settles it ….. the Sasse has spoken. I expect all 14 B10 presidents to immediately reconvene and reconsider their decision. No way they took into account his excellent points.

Also, a very subtle maneuver to mention his prior position as President of Midland Lutheran College in order to bolster his argument.
They may have considered the alternative lives of their student-athletes but surely their liability weighs more heavily than the well-being of their students.

The liability issue is a pretty big deal, though. A class action suit by former players and their families who have long-term health conditions arise years later after getting coronavirus while playing this fall is no small issue; compensation could be billions of dollars. If I were a B10 school I'd want to get insurance coverage against this type of liability through Lloyd's of London--and if L of L isn't providing coverage for this or if its premiums are exorbitant and not cost-efficient, well ...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT