ADVERTISEMENT

Bernie's Assessment

This one wouldn't work.

Help?
Not sure I can walk you through it, but here's a suggestion for a new avatar. You can pretend the red x is a bow tie.

ValuableSafeChimpanzee

How policies that favor the working class will be bad for the economy is an argument I've never understood.

It seems like common sense to me.

If government taxes people and businesses an excessive amount, they won't be able to operate as effectively.

We have seen a right-wing extremist, Republican Congress attempt to throw up to 32 million Americans off of the health care they have, give a trillion dollars in tax breaks to the richest people in our country and the largest corporations, destroy environmental legislation, work aggressively to deny women the right to control their own bodies and end net neutrality.

We have a president who is not only a pathological liar but someone who is trying to win votes by dividing our nation up based on the color of our skin, our country of origin, our religion, our gender or our sexual orientation. Further, and dangerously, he is undermining our democratic institutions as he attempts to move us toward an authoritarian type society.
My God. Another “ Trump is a racist” post.

Wow.

His wife inherited a home in Maine. They sold it and bought one in the state where they live.

A guy works for the public good all his life and - IN HIS 70s - buys an expensive house with inherited money - and you think there's something wrong with him.

Compare that with pretty much any GOP leader.

SMH
You left out that he is a communist nut wacker.

Free college and his healthcare plan and the resulting tax implications (a lot higher) is enough for me. It will not work. Having said that, if it was him instead of Hillary, I would still have voted for him as I did Hillary. These guys need to quit saying what people want to hear and instead do the things that will actually solve problems.
You mean like massive tax cuts and repatriations and promising the deficit will be slashed?
I'm not in the free college for all, or free health care for all crowd, but if we hadn't given away the farm to the Koch Brothers a few months ago we could come pretty close to a few of these things.

Nope, your fears are not supported by the decades of evidence. Get an avatar.

@BrianNole09

Many businesses out there already struggle to raise wages to match the rising costs of living (2-3%). How the hell would they make up the difference after basic goods see a 10% mark up to make up for the added expenses from wage earning hikes? So everyone is going to get a 10% raise in the middle class. Your talking trillions. How are we going to do that when we're in a trade deficit? California and New York have been learning some tough lessons lately.

Many businesses out there already struggle to raise wages to match the rising costs of living (2-3%). How the hell would they make up the difference after basic goods see a 10% mark up to make up for the added expenses from wage earning hikes? So everyone is going to get a 10% raise in the middle class. Your talking trillions. How are we going to do that when we're in a trade deficit? California and New York have been learning some tough lessons lately.
Your numbers are way off. We have done this with good results multiple times over your life. There is nothing to fear by growing the economy by raisng the floor.

Your numbers are way off. We have done this with good results multiple times over your life. There is nothing to fear by growing the economy by raisng the floor.

Not to the extent the Bern is talking. Not when we are in a trade deficit, not when our GDP growth has failed to hit 3% for over a decade. Not when taxes continue to rise, health care costs continue to rise. Not when middle class wages see barely any growth. Too many things working against us. Every minor gain the lower and middle class has gained big business has knock them back further. We have seen hours cut back to under 30 to protect businesses. We have seen jobs switch to salary positions to avoid new overtime standards. If we see huge wage hikes for menial jobs you think big business is going to just roll over? Don't even get me started on entrepreneurship decline.

Not to the extent the Bern is talking. Not when we are in a trade deficit, not when our GDP growth has failed to hit 3% for over a decade. Not when taxes continue to rise, health care costs continue to rise. Not when middle class wages see barely any growth. Too many things working against us. Every minor gain the lower and middle class has gained big business has knock them back further. We have seen hours cut back to under 30 to protect businesses. We have seen jobs switch to salary positions to avoid new overtime standards. If we see huge wage hikes for menial jobs you think big business is going to just roll over? Don't even get me started on entrepreneurship decline.
I think the results will be the same as the last several times we raised it. I don't buy your argument that we are in s different position. If you value growth over 3%, this is the way. The path for growth is more redistribution to the lower classes.

Reactions: Moral
It would drive growth. Money in the hands of the poor is always good for the economy.

This is so short sighted I don’t even know if I have time to address it. That is making $31,000 a year. Do You realize that starting teachers make about $31,000 a year? Do you realize that paramedics and other professions where one actually gets trained and goes to school starts out at even the same or less?

How are you encouraging a 16 year old to stay in school when they can drop out and make $15 an hour?

Do you think companies are not going to be even more picky about who they are hiring at $15 an hour? It would make jobs even more competitive to be hired. What does that do to those with disabilities who work at places like Hy-Vee, that are great places that provide jobs for and train people with special needs.

All you are doing is enabling more people that never wanted to work in the first place. You are then forcing higher wages in schools, medical care, trades, and many other jobs to make it an incentive to come to that profession.

Food prices and every other price would increase, also. There are so many holes in this philosophy of raising minimum wage to $15 an hour that it boggles my mind people actually think it is a good idea.

Reactions: The_Gent and Auger
This is so short sighted I don’t even know if I have time to address it. That is making $31,000 a year. Do You realize that starting teachers make about $31,000 a year? Do you realize that paramedics and other professions where one actually gets trained and goes to school starts out at even the same or less?

How are you encouraging a 16 year old to stay in school when they can drop out and make $15 an hour?

Do you think companies are not going to be even more picky about who they are hiring at $15 an hour? It would make jobs even more competitive to be hired. What does that do to those with disabilities who work at places like Hy-Vee, that are great places that provide jobs for and train people with special needs.

All you are doing is enabling more people that never wanted to work in the first place. You are then forcing higher wages in schools, medical care, trades, and many other jobs to make it an incentive to come to that profession.

Food prices and every other price would increase, also. There are so many holes in this philosophy of raising minimum wage to $15 an hour that it boggles my mind people actually think it is a good idea.
Valuing work is the opposite of enabling the lazy. Now if you have time to type so much wrong, you have time to get an avatar.

@BrianNole09

Last edited:
Valuing work is the opposite of enabling the lazy. Now if you have time to type do much wrong, you have time to get an avatar.

@BrianNole09
It’s easy to say raising minimum wage to $15 an hour solves all of our problems. The only thing it does do is creates new ones. It is a lazy approach and not thought out whatsoever.

Do you realize job corps will take in all of the low income people and provide them free training and room and board for a job or field a person wants to get into? Many of them even have partnerships with community colleges that will pay for 2 years of college FREE if you don’t like the jobs that are offered in the program.

Bernie doesn’t talk about this or promote it because it goes against his ability to get people to vote for this stupid idea of $15 an hour.

Last edited:
It’s easy to say raising minimum wage to $15 an hour solves all of our problems. The only thing it does do is creates new ones. It is a lazy approach and not thought out whatsoever.

Do you realize job corps will take in all of the low income people and provide them free training and room and board for a job or field a person wants to get into? Many of them even have partnerships with community colleges that will pay for 2 years of college FREE if you don’t like the jobs that are offered in the program.

Bernie doesn’t talk about this or promote it because it goes against his ability to get people to vote for this stupid idea of $15 an hour.
Bernie talks about free job training and education a lot. You don't know what you're typing.

I think the results will be the same as the last several times we raised it. I don't buy your argument that we are in s different position. If you value growth over 3%, this is the way. The path for growth is more redistribution to the lower classes.

There are several studies out there that disagree. There have been some significant challenges in a booming market like Seattle. That the cost/benefit ratio hasn't been a great exchange. That people impacted by the wage increase are losing their value. It would be interesting to see the impact in small towns where there isn't a major city in the vicinity. The other question becomes do you change the safety net limits for rent, utilities, food, etc? One of the challenges is 'employment is up' in that sector, it may be up because if they make $15 and work full time they have to pay all of their rent or all of their utilities or buy all of their food, their actual real income goes down, they are requesting less hours to keep their benefits thus the need to hire another part timer to support that role. The employer than says I am going to hire a full time $20 an hour a person who is more productive and get rid of both of the $15 people. It has been an interesting process. And you should try the Seattle sweet corn lol

Reactions: Auger
Wow.

His wife inherited a home in Maine. They sold it and bought one in the state where they live.

A guy works for the public good all his life and - IN HIS 70s - buys an expensive house with inherited money - and you think there's something wrong with him.

Compare that with pretty much any GOP leader.

SMH

Bullshit. He got a 600k lake house for keeping his mouth shut during the Clinton campaign for President.

The Clintons didn't want him to bring up how rigged the primary was by Hillary Clinton.

Last edited:
We have seen a right-wing extremist, Republican Congress attempt to throw up to 32 million Americans off of the health care they have, give a trillion dollars in tax breaks to the richest people in our country and the largest corporations, destroy environmental legislation, work aggressively to deny women the right to control their own bodies and end net neutrality.

We have a president who is not only a pathological liar but someone who is trying to win votes by dividing our nation up based on the color of our skin, our country of origin, our religion, our gender or our sexual orientation. Further, and dangerously, he is undermining our democratic institutions as he attempts to move us toward an authoritarian type society.
What we haven't seen:

1. Billions paid to terrorist country for hostages.
2. The original ACA claims of cheaper for everyone.
3. The MSM talk to any great length (in a positive fashion) about the first two women to hold their positions (EVER - with one being black) so take your racial\woman hating rhetoric and shove it.
3. Border crossing increases.
4. Terrible unemployment %
5. NK build nuclear testing facilities\
6. More wars started than when entered office.
7. THe democrats that vowed to leave the USA if Trump go elected, bunch of liars\pansies.
8. Black unemployment rise.
9. Any democrat do anything that the MSM hasn't laid out for them.
10. A SINGLE NRA member commit a mass shooting.
11. An assault shotgun, revolver, car.
12. A reduction in texting and driving that kills 11 kids every day.
13. One single shred of evidence that there was Russia collusion.
14. Not one of the 33k emails that HIllary deleted.
15. Congress or the Senate do their f-ing jobs.
16. Not one of Obama's policies standing.

Meanwhile, the frog sits in the slowly warming kettle of water and asks, “What’s for dinner?”

There are several studies out there that disagree. There have been some significant challenges in a booming market like Seattle. That the cost/benefit ratio hasn't been a great exchange. That people impacted by the wage increase are losing their value. It would be interesting to see the impact in small towns where there isn't a major city in the vicinity. The other question becomes do you change the safety net limits for rent, utilities, food, etc? One of the challenges is 'employment is up' in that sector, it may be up because if they make $15 and work full time they have to pay all of their rent or all of their utilities or buy all of their food, their actual real income goes down, they are requesting less hours to keep their benefits thus the need to hire another part timer to support that role. The employer than says I am going to hire a full time $20 an hour a person who is more productive and get rid of both of the $15 people. It has been an interesting process. And you should try the Seattle sweet corn lol
Less welfare is another benefit of forcing employers to pay the real cost of an employee.

Reactions: Rudolph and Moral
The worst thing that could ever happen to Bernie would be if he were actually given the opportunity to implement some of his crazy ass plans,... It would be like giving the Santa Claus at Macy's a "magic" sleigh with eight tiny reindeer and telling him to go for it...

Reactions: Greenway12
The worst thing that could ever happen to Bernie would be if he were actually given the opportunity to implement some of his crazy ass plans,... It would be like giving the Santa Claus at Macy's a "magic" sleigh with eight tiny reindeer and telling him to go for it...

His plans are certainly less crazy than thinking corporations are people and their money is speech. His plans are less crazy than being in perpetual war and releasing random drone strikes around the globe. His plans are less crazy than believing we need a middle man between medical care and the people. They are less crazy than going against the 97% consensus on climate change. They are less crazy than calling ourselves the land of the free when our prison population has a commanding lead over anyone else.

However, this is America so having an educated, healthy, and strong middle class is what is really crazy.

Reactions: srams21 and Rudolph
It would drive growth. Money in the hands of the poor is always good for the economy.
Where's the money coming from to get them to the 15/hr? Out of someone's pocket no? It's a shell game. I'm not willing to pay twice as much for a meal so the part time bus boy can make 15/hr. I'd just eat out less as a result and cook an extra meal or two a week at home.

Reactions: The_Gent
His plans are certainly less crazy than thinking corporations are people and their money is speech. His plans are less crazy than being in perpetual war and releasing random drone strikes around the globe. His plans are less crazy than believing we need a middle man between medical care and the people. They are less crazy than going against the 97% consensus on climate change. They are less crazy than calling ourselves the land of the free when our prison population has a commanding lead over anyone else.

However, this is America so having an educated, healthy, and strong middle class is what is really crazy.
Whoa there big fella... you dont think govt run healthcare puts a middle man between health care and patients? Are you serious?

In a government of checks and balances people always talk about Bernie as if everything he wanted would pass. It wouldn't but at least Bernie is armed with principles.
Glass-steagal
Citizen's United
No one else offered anything more important to freedom than these two items. Anyone who says anything different cares not for the United States of American but only for the own selfish reasons.

A $15 nationwide minimum wage would explode the economy...just not in the way you're thinking :)
Almost every proposal to increase the MW calls for phasing it in over several years.

Not a problem.

In those very rare situations where there are unavoidable problems, the laws can make exceptions or provide temporary aid to help businesses get over the hump.

Complaints that this or any of Bernie's proposals will cause the sky to fall are simply uninformed and unintelligent.

In some cases - such as green programs - the transitions may not be painless, but doing nothing will be disastrous. I'll take a little sensible pain over disaster.

In other cases, Bernie's programs seem costly, but the complainers simply aren't looking at the benefits.

Reactions: Moral
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT