ADVERTISEMENT

Besides Dentistry, is there a bigger scam than HVAC servicing?

They clean the combustion chamber and blower fan. They check and adjust the burners. They make sure it is operating efficiently. They check for exhaust (carbon monoxide) leaks. They also change your filter.

You can do it yourself, but depends how much your time is worth.
Every year my dad would go to his immaculate work shop and get out some hoses and gauges to pressure check the coolant, and he'd putter around with some things. Just the way he was. He changed the oil in all of our cars, too.
I prefer to pay someone to do the basics beyond changing the filters.

It may be the old man in me, begging to break free, but I am of the opinion almost all ACs, refrigerators, dishwashers, ovens, dryers, hot water heaters and wash machines now are terrible compared to their predecessors of 20 years ago, both in performance and longevity.

It may be the old man in me, begging to break free, but I am of the opinion almost all ACs, refrigerators, dishwashers, ovens, dryers, hot water heaters and wash machines now are terrible compared to their predecessors of 20 years ago, both in performance and longevity.
planned obsolescense

AC units and many other appliances were built in the 60s and 70s to last 50 years. That was found to be unprofitable. AC units of today are built to last 5-10 years. Just like your fridge.

Once had a hole in car tire. Tires Plus told me it couldn’t be patched because it was too close to side wall so I would need to drop a couple hundred on new tire. I said ok. Few minutes later they said they didn’t have a replacement in my size so they patched it.

things that make you go hmmm.
Thats why in Arizona I go to Big O tires. You go in with a small problem and they fix it for free. But I also remember that and when I need new tires I go back.

Reactions: kkhawk
In 2012 I replaced my AC that was original to my house in 1965. 5 years and two weeks after my "new" AC was installed it broke down. Two weeks out of warranty. The service call was almost $300 to replace a capacitor that could be bought on the internet for just under $20.
I had to call mine over the weekend to replace the capacitor. He charged $150 per hour (weekend rate) and $30 for the capacitor.

They clean the combustion chamber and blower fan. They check and adjust the burners. They make sure it is operating efficiently. They check for exhaust (carbon monoxide) leaks. They also change your filter.

You can do it yourself, but depends how much your time is worth.

Yep; simplest thing is cleaning off the ignition sensor, which is a primary problem of furnaces not starting up in the winter. That and cleaning dust out of the fan.

Easy to do yourself - ample Youtube vids to show you the steps. That only takes a few minutes depending on how accessible it is.

My furnace asks for a new filter every 3 months, which is a nice reminder as it's pretty gunked up by then.

Don't take this the wrong way, but what kind of a stupid f*** doesn't check the breakers?
No offense.

None taken. Valid question.

There's three different breakers on this unit (one inside the home, two outside). I was under the impression that there were only two on the unit - the one inside labeled "AC", then a single compressor unit breaker outside. I have two different breaker boxes outside, and did not know the compressor alone had a separate breaker.

The fan on the compressor unit was spinning - just no cold air coming through inside. This fan breaker has at times flipped...I knew that breaker outside. I assumed that the compressor was on the same circuit. I lifted all breaker box covers and visually observed no breakers appeared tripped.

My home, the main indoor breaker box, everything is labeled. The large breaker box and small breaker box outside are not labeled. The small breaker box in question, I was under the impression it was for my heat tape (mobile home), my yard light, my shed, and outside outlets. The one I thought was for the heat tape was for the compressor.

I hadn't done a complete shutdown of everything in the house at the time (I was working from home), and my father was a maintenance electrician. One thing he had taught me was you just don't start flipping breakers unless you know everything is as shut down as possible. The repairman even said the breaker that needed resetting wasn't showing it needed to be reset.

It happens (apparently). And while I have done a lot of electrical work on my own with both 110, 220 and 12 volt auto, I have no experience whatsoever with AC units. And all things considered, I got a quick and dirty health check on the AC portion of my system in the end. The repairman basically told me "I'll give you your money's worth on this service call". No leaks, freon charge is enough for years, don't forget to clean out the fins yearly and cover it for the winter, etc.

Different refrigerant to protect the ozone - not as efficient.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
Different refrigerant to protect the ozone - not as efficient.

Huh?
Newer AC units with the new refrigerants are WAY more efficient than what was sold 20 yrs ago. My 20 yr old AC was 14 SEER. Upgraded to 19 SEER; could have had 21 SEER or better if it was economical for me.

Efficiency and reliability are not mutually exclusive. Nor are ozone-friendly refrigerants related to either of them.

Huh?
Newer AC units with the new refrigerants are WAY more efficient than what was sold 20 yrs ago. My 20 yr old AC was 14 SEER. Upgraded to 19 SEER; could have had 21 SEER or better if it was economical for me.

Efficiency and reliability are not mutually exclusive. Nor are ozone-friendly refrigerants related to either of them.
Compressors and evaporators are constructed with more efficient equipment today, but old school R-22 has more heat-carrying capacity than the current residential standard R-410A.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
Compressors and evaporators are constructed with more efficient equipment today, but old school R-22 has more heat-carrying capacity than the current residential standard R-410A.

That simply means you design to those parameters. It means higher flow rates to compensate. Kind of like how you get more horsepower out of an engine with a turbocharger to increase the airflow.

That simply means you design to those parameters. It means higher flow rates to compensate. Kind of like how you get more horsepower out of an engine with a turbocharger to increase the airflow.
No - it means systems running at higher pressures and longer cycle times, especially on really hot days.

No - it means systems running at higher pressures and longer cycle times, especially on really hot days.

Ergo: they design systems to run at higher pressures and longer duty cycles.
It's literally why it's impossible to simply "retrofit" older systems with new coolants.

I have a friend w/ a generic compressor: burned his motor out running 100% duty cycle, as it's rated for about 50%. I have a California Air Tools model; rated for 100% duty cycle. All day. Every day.

Ergo: they design systems to run at higher pressures and longer duty cycles.
It's literally why it's impossible to simply "retrofit" older systems with new coolants.

I have a friend w/ a generic compressor: burned his motor out running 100% duty cycle, as it's rated for about 50%. I have a California Air Tools model; rated for 100% duty cycle. All day. Every day.
You said flow rate, not pressure. Thermo flash backs.

We have chosen (rightfully so) to use an inferior product for environmental reasons. We have chosen (incorrectly) to accept lower quality equipment for lower consumer prices. The two mixed mean our AC units don't last as long.

Yearly maintenance? What do they do, change your filter? I must be the worst homeowner ever because I’ve never had “maintenance” done on my furnace or AC.

inherent-vice-22-gif-watch-the-film-wtf-watch-the-film-saint-pauly.gif
Mine flush the water heater, clean the mouse homes out of the air conditioner, freon, clean etc.

planned obsolescense

AC units and many other appliances were built in the 60s and 70s to last 50 years. That was found to be unprofitable. AC units of today are built to last 5-10 years. Just like your fridge.
50 years, bahahaha!!! Come on man!

Perhaps not...but dentistry is really expensive! And all their work is not guaranteed, either.
I think it's the prices that have people crying foul (of course that can be said about a myriad of things).

So here's the deal........when the general public can come together and create a composite list of what they think is a fair price (because nobody seems to want everything for free) for everything under the sun in regards to consumer purchases, be it basic or essential needs or otherwise......then I'll take that list and go around and force all these business (every last f***ing one of them) to set these prices at the flat rate the people of America believe they should fairly be.

Deal?................:)

Schaal Heating and Cooling was just at my place doing their yearly maintenance on my AC unit I purchased from them 6 years ago. Apparently the unit they sold me (Schaal branded unit I might add) has had some issues. They said my coolant level was really low, I haven't had any issues with it but I have to take their word for it. They said they can refill the coolant for $250 and hope for the best or they can try to find the leak for $450 and anything that they find is covered under warranty. So I go with that option as I don't want to have something go wrong later.

4 hours later they say they didn't find a leak but they will put a note on my account to keep an eye on it for next year. I asked if we get $200 back since they didn't find anything and they said no as that's the cost of the test....WTF?!?
Lol you've been had.......

Yearly maintenance? What do they do, change your filter? I must be the worst homeowner ever because I’ve never had “maintenance” done on my furnace or AC.

inherent-vice-22-gif-watch-the-film-wtf-watch-the-film-saint-pauly.gif
When I purchased the new furnace and AC unit they said it had a 10 year warranty but you had to be on their maintenance program to be eligible. It costs like $160 a year or for $20 month you can become a platinum member meaning if the AC or heat goes out they will have someone out to fix it same day. It seemed like a good deal at the time. However every year they find something else that needs to be fixed, generally in the $200-$300 range. I've usually called them on the BS and ordered the parts off Amazon for $18 or whatever and fixed myself. But the cooling leak is something I can't fix so they had me on that one. I also had no way of knowing if it was actually true or not.

When I purchased the new furnace and AC unit they said it had a 10 year warranty but you had to be on their maintenance program to be eligible. It costs like $160 a year or for $20 month you can become a platinum member meaning if the AC or heat goes out they will have someone out to fix it same day. It seemed like a good deal at the time. However every year they find something else that needs to be fixed, generally in the $200-$300 range. I've usually called them on the BS and ordered the parts off Amazon for $18 or whatever and fixed myself. But the cooling leak is something I can't fix so they had me on that one. I also had no way of knowing if it was actually true or not.

You can watch them. They have a device that makes noise if the coolant is leaking...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT