ADVERTISEMENT

Best article on the current state of Iowa Football ever!!!!!

Irvin 88

HR All-State
Nov 11, 2017
200.gif

Interesting article. I doubt the read will get much traction since it does not appear to be coming from a reputable/established newspaper website. I actually had been thinking about BF's alleged racist comments over the weekend and definitely think they were not fabricated. Sorry for bringing this up again, so why was Doyle shown the door and BF not if both made racist comments? (apologies in advance if I have it wrong) tia

I only wish there was some way that every Iowa fan in the country could get this article in their hands...it is a thing of beauty....I hope and pray that it gains some traction and Jaws is forced to comment on it....enjoy!!!

Not even close to being a great article. There are a few good points but the article is mostly race baiting trash from one of the most liberal rags out there.

Slate is basically all left leaning op eds. Had they stopped with the nepotism angle instead of making it about Iowa as institution trying to keep "racist" white coaches in power and "Jim Crow" any chance of black coach being hired it might have been good.

Ignores the multitude of black Iowa assistants and the fact that most of the accusations against Iowa involving the players lawsuit are baseless and many of the specific incidents being alleged have been debunked by multiple witnesses.

I only wish there was some way that every Iowa fan in the country could get this article in their hands...it is a thing of beauty....I hope and pray that it gains some traction and Jaws is forced to comment on it....enjoy!!!

For all the 'I love Kirk' crowd, he has been fleecing us with his nepotism and 10 wins on the back on Phil Parker or not, he has not made several decisions in the best interest of the program.

Agree the article should have stopped at the nepotism angle. That part is spot on. Bringing in the race angle seems really manufactured and frankly will start to take folks down a different argument - likely a political one - when the focus should be 100% on results and the issue of nepotism.

Insinuating it’s a black/white thing is sort of a disgrace. It’s actually super simple imo. Kirk wants great opportunities for his son and is giving him one. Who amongst us (of all races) doesn’t WANT that for our kids. Wanting it vs doing it are two different things, tho, and that’s why this whole thing stinks. AND as stated above, it ignores the minority coaches on staff already that btw are doing really well.

Not even close to being a great article. There are a few good points but the article is mostly race baiting trash from one of the most liberal rags out there.

Slate is basically all left leaning op eds. Had they stopped with the nepotism angle instead of making it about Iowa as institution trying to keep "racist" white coaches in power and "Jim Crow" any chance of black coach being hired it might have been good.

Ignores the multitude of black Iowa assistants and the fact that most of the accusations against Iowa involving the players lawsuit are baseless and many of the specific incidents being alleged have been debunked by multiple witnesses.
Yeah Slate is trash journalism. Agree with the nepotism argument but it stops there.

Truth hurts, doesn't it? It's long overdue that the Ferentz family's history of shady behavior gets the spotlight it deserves. Brian living in govt subsidized housing after Kirk's first big contract extension and raise... Doyle hospitalizing 13 players in the rabdo incident and having it brushed under the rug, ignoring complaints from black players of racial bias for over a decade until in blew up in 2020....the Brian nepotism issue is just the latest thing coming to a head and I'm not even including Barta's questionable actions

I know Kirk has done plenty of good things too and has a lot of admirable qualities, it's what has endeared him to so many. All of these questionable behaviors by Kirk pale in comparison to what happened at Penn St but there is a lesson to be learned there and it's that turning a bling eye to shady behaviors to protect the legacy of a man or a football program is very risky.

This ridiculous Ferentz nepotism chapter needs to end immediately. If Barta is too weak to do the right thing the President needs to step in. Enough is enough

I’m not “left” but this article can’t be disputed as far as all things nepotism.

And how does Brian beca main figure in the story without mentioning the fact he’s currently named in a racial lawsuit!

Reactions: kcgolfer
I’m not “left” but this article can’t be disputed as far as all things nepotism.

And how does Brian beca main figure in the story without mentioning the fact he’s currently named in a racial lawsuit!
it is mentioned though...but I do think the race angle was over done.

Truth hurts, doesn't it? It's long overdue that the Ferentz family's history of shady behavior gets the spotlight it deserves. Brian living in govt subsidized housing after Kirk's first big contract extension and raise... Doyle hospitalizing 13 players in the rabdo incident and having it brushed under the rug, ignoring complaints from black players of racial bias for over a decade until in blew up in 2020....the Brian nepotism issue is just the latest thing coming to a head and I'm not even including Barta's questionable actions

I know Kirk has done plenty of good things too and has a lot of admirable qualities, it's what has endeared him to so many. All of these questionable behaviors by Kirk pale in comparison to what happened at Penn St but there is a lesson to be learned there and it's that turning a bling eye to shady behaviors to protect the legacy of a man or a football program is very risky.

This ridiculous Ferentz nepotism chapter needs to end immediately. If Barta is too weak to do the right thing the President needs to step in. Enough is enough
I'm not disagreeing with nepotism. I'm disagreeing with the agenda being pushed that Iowa is racist is the only reason to hire your son is because he's a white coach and it prevents a hire of a qualified black candidate.

Did you READ the article?? There is an incredibly heavy handed slant that Brian was hired to prevent the hiring of black coaches.

The author (generous calling him that) could have cut two paragraphs and kept to the nepotism angle, and it would have been a really good article. Instead, he chose to play the race card heavy handed and attribute nepotism to some implied unwritten/unspoken Jim Crow policies trying to convince the audience that this is a way of keeping qualified black coaches out.

I'm not disagreeing with nepotism. I'm disagreeing with the agenda being pushed that Iowa is racist is the only reason to hire your son is because he's a white coach and it prevents a hire of a qualified black candidate.
The race stuff is relevant to the article. The way they led into it was cringy. Juxtaposing with a black OC from Illinois who also had an unremarkable offensive performance.

The reading comprehension of you and several others is severely lacking. The author did NOT say that Brian was hired to prevent hiring a black coach. They said nepotism is a factor in the overwhelming whiteness of coaching ranks, and that is because most head coaches are white.

• Haha
Reactions: dean_oliver222
But its not Brian...its Kirk himself! He rules the roost as to Iowa's style of play. It will be the same with any OC under Kirk Ferentz. O'KEEFE, Davis, Brian....its all the same.

Far left? Not really. There may be a few articles with a liberal slant, but it's also filled with plenty of other interesting content. But then, there is a certain segment of the population that has been brainwashed to think that anything written that mentions racism or gay rights et al is far left.

Article was fine and states nothing we don’t know… The state of the program starts and ends with Barta and KF.

We know Kirk runs the show and has allowed Barta to remain in his job for all of these years.

Kirk being back to his snarky responses and defending the indefensible - despite the obvious need of change - will indeed tarnish his future and legacy if he stands by Brian til the end.

Barta is slow to question KF or force his hand … he knows who has filled his bank account all these years …

Iowa is in a corner with a stubborn coach who believes he is above
criticism and an AD who still has a job because Iowa football has kept money in the coffers.

Like anything in life - things change. What worked yesterday may not work today. Iowa is at a critical junction. Kirk is already tarnishing his image and many fans will remember this period moving forward despite what happens to BF.

I am not convinced there is enough in the tank for a Kirk 3.0.

When you field the worst offense in college football and one of the worst in Iowa football (and modern football) history … and won’t make changes because your son is involved … you are flipping your finger to the same university and fans who’ve allowed you to be the longest tenured coach in college football… (in addition to an inept
AD and his ridiculous contract offerings)…

Buddy look who you're talking to. He IS stupid and childish.
says the same individual who picked a fight with another poster a week or so ago and bogged down a thread for about 2 pages....looking forward to you getting the last word as usual....you cannot NOT do it....let all wait and see.

JFC...

What a dumb article. Like others have said, why the race angle?

The nepotism needed to be addressed but the writer is gonna lose a lot of people with the race hustling.
I agree 100%....the race baiting WAS way over the line....the other stuff got me so fired up though, that I couldn't think straight...I'm included as one who hates that the UofI continually tries to make itself the Berkeley of the Big 10 along with Wisc.

The quality and racial overtones of that article are questionable, but there were also a lot of facts and really good points. Overall, it's refreshing to see something written up regarding Iowa football by a journalist not scared to death of KF. No way any local journalist, needing to maintain press credentials, would write anything like this and certainly wouldn't ask KF about any of the issues brought up in this article.

Reactions: littlez
Far left? Not really. There may be a few articles with a liberal slant, but it's also filled with plenty of other interesting content. But then, there is a certain segment of the population that has been brainwashed to think that anything written that mentions racism or gay rights et al is far left.

Slate is a very liberal far left publication.

Biasly which ranks media bias gives Slate a rating of Very Liberal with a less than stellar trustworthy rating. Additionally, many of the writers are individually rated as Very Liberal.

Slate is a very liberal far left publication.

Biasly which ranks media bias gives Slate a rating of Very Liberal with a less than stellar trustworthy rating. Additionally, many of the writers are individually rated as Very Liberal.

So what parts of the article are false?

Reactions: rrsteffe
ADVERTISEMENT