ADVERTISEMENT

Best Burger Recipe

alaskanseminole

HR Legend
Oct 20, 2002
Drop your best burger recipe in this thread...whether that's cast iron skillet, smoker, grill, etc. Whatcha got? I'm looking to change things up a bit.

TTIWWP

78006fe8463f4a2d6232b64c41d7911a70760c6b.jpg

I usually just do kosher salt and pepper. The key to me is the shape of the patty. I bought the patty cutter that makes it a perfect circle and uniform thickness. That way the sides are dry and it cooks evenly.

Reactions: GOHOX69
I only do burgers if the idea is not working hard to make my meal. Ball up and shape patties quick then sprinkle with Lawry's. Usually use a cast iron skillet with grill ridges. Though normally now I'd just do maid rites instead.

Reactions: Chief Turkeyscratch
80/20
Patty
Seasoning (salt/pepper/garlic) or klutz kupp

Dimple the middle and add worchestishire
Let sit in fridge for a hour or so

Get charcoal ready
Drink beer
Grill

Reactions: alaskanseminole
I’m a fan of a couple of styles of burgers I’ve learned to make over the years like the Oklahoma onion burger, standard Swiss and Mushroom gravy burger, burger stuffed with blue cheese, a San Fran sourdough Patty Melt, etc… But my favorite is a Hatch Green Chili Cheeseburger.

On the griddle add some butter or preferrably tallow and then start sautéing some sweet onion slices. When they’re fully translucent but haven’t browned yet add some chopped roasted Hatch Green Chilis and some minced garlic. (The ratio is 2 to 1 Hatch chili to sweet onion with just a teaspoon or so of minced garlic). When some carmelized color and a little black char has been added to the onion, garlic and Hatch green chilis, then give it a sprinkle of salt, black pepper, and cumin. Take the veggies off the heat.

Simultaneously, you should be cooking the burger. I’ve found that starting with a very loose handful of meat turned into a Smashburger gives the best results. So without forming the patty or compacting the meat, I just try to loosely take as much meat out of the grind as would roughly fit in my hand or about a baseball. Toss it unformed onto the griddle in that loose ball shape and let it sizzle. When you’ve gotten some char on the bottom of the ball, that’s when you come in with a large spatula and smash it down hard once and only once and smear the edges into a fine lace of meat. Allow that side to char and then flip the burger. Now is when you add fresh grated Monterey Jack to the top of the burger and place a bowl or purpose built burger cloche over the burger to steam and thereby melt the cheese. When the cheese is melted you’re done so quickly add the burger to a toasted bun and top it with your cooked veggies. I like to add some Mayo and spicy ketchup from Whataburger (they recently started selling it in grocery stores here) to the bun but that’s not traditional or required.

Last edited:
Ground chuck and minced garlic mixed. Make 1/4 pound patties with mix and press flat

Heat cast iron skillet with butter at medium high. Add the burger and cook 2 minutes on the first side and 1 minute the second side. While cooking the meat add Hatch green chile the last minute to the skillet. Add choice of cheese on the burger the last minute.

After the three minutes remove chile and burger from the skillet and toast a brioche bun in the skillet. When toasted add to your burger red onion, mayo and mustard. Egg and bacon optional.

Reactions: ThorneStockton
My burgers are a disaster but I like them cooked with soy sauce and topped with cheese, tomato, jalepenos and more jalapenos. Serve between a bun.

Man, over 25 years I've done just about everything with making burgers, between add ins, methods, and toppings.

You know where I landed after all that? Frozen quarter pound chuck patties from the grocery store freezer, cooked on the grill with white American cheese. Topped with yellow mustard and diced onions. On a $0.99/pack sesame bun.

Eat 2-3 of them with fries or chips. Sublime.

I am sure exactly how I landed back there, but the cheap burger-stand type hamburger is the best iteration I think. I can't put my finger on it exactly, but it's something about being the most exquisite kind of junk food vs attempts to elevate a hunk of ground beef into something gourmet.

Its like trying every spiced coffee stout and double gravity Belgian quadruple...and being like "shit its a hot day and I just want to sit around and drink a Bud Light".

I do them two ways.
First is 1/3lb patties with worcestershire and lowrys and cooked on the grill/grill grates.

The other is like ~3oz patties smashed on the griddle with just salt and pepper. I put whatever cheese is wanted on them and then stack them two per bun - which has been buttered and also browned on the griddle. Just did this last night. It's fast and easy - but makes a mess.

Man, over 25 years I've done just about everything with making burgers, between add ins, methods, and toppings.

You know where I landed after all that? Frozen quarter pound chuck patties from the grocery store freezer, cooked on the grill with white American cheese. Topped with yellow mustard and diced onions. On a $0.99/pack sesame bun.

I am sure exactly how I landed back there, but the cheap burger-stand type hamburger is the best iteration I think. I can't put my finger on it exactly, but it's something about being the most exquisite kind of junk food vs attempts to elevate a hunk of ground beef into something gourmet.

Its like trying every spiced coffee stout and double gravity Belgian quadruple...and being like "shit its a hot day and I just want to sit around and drink a Bud Light".

Yep. The frozen 1/4 pound patties I get with my half beef are all I use anymore. They’re simple and delicious. Go blackstone or charcoal with those

Salt and pepper on 80/20 beef on a cast iron surface. Sautee some onions in butter at the same time. As the burger is about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way through cooking, throw the onions on top along with a generous helping of whatever sort of cheese you prefer. Put a bowl or something to retain the heat over the burger so the cheese melts down a good bit.

At the same time slather some garlic butter on a quality bun and throw it on the cast iron surface, let it sit long enough to develop just a bit of crispness.

Combine the two when the burger finishes cooking.

One of the keys, I think, is getting the right amount of sodium in each bite. Sometimes I mix into the beef itself, even sprinkling a bit on each layer of ingredient. A bit tricky, but really enhances the experience if done right.

My last 2 burders were ground deer meat on the griddle. finished it off, worcestershire, swiss, mushroom, lettuce & tomato.

Thin, smash type burgers with the crispy edges are where it's at, but I recently had one of those 1/3 lb prepared bacon and onion burgers that you can get in the Publix butcher section. Im not one that usually goes for the prepared meals route, but they were fan effing tastic on the Green Egg.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
smashburgers are the best. beef fried in it's own grease....yeah! That's the inferiority of charcoal grilled burgers: all that grease gets burned up.

Ground beef patties cooked in cast iron skillet with 2 tablespoons of butter and 3 tablespoons of Worcestershire
sauce.

I don’t have any problem with the general principle of the simpler the better. Because I’ve never loved the truly ridiculous burgers with 800 things on them, usually I’m a one to six toppings max kind of person. So the “busiest” burgers I like are something like a San Fran Sourdough Patty Melt with four extra ingredients (Swiss and American cheese and thousand island dressing mixed with worcestershire) or the Hatch Green Chili Burger with six ingredients (chilis, onion, garlic, spicy ketchup, Mayo and Monterey Jack cheese) and some spices. And I’m a big fan of both Dyer’s Burgers in Memphis (deep fried burger with pickles and mustard and that’s it) and the cheese burger sliders from Krystal or White Castle (just pickles, grated onion and mustard on the steamed bun). I haven’t had the Louis Lunch burger yet but I’m guessing I would love its simplicity of tomato, onion and cheese spread.

What I’m skeptical about is the preformed Patties. Not only are we talking about poor quality meat but they’re usually packed hard. I too used to pack my meat hard……….pauses for laughs……and would try to mix seasonings that I thought would help with the flavor into the patty and would overmix it. Now I try to do the opposite and will barely and very loosely mix the ground meat if there’s multiple grinds (and if I’m feeling fancy I will go with a mix of Chuck, short rib, and heart). But those unseasoned loose Smashburgers turn out SOOO much better than any formed patties especially frozen one, I couldn’t go back.

Reactions: Nole Lou
Drop your best burger recipe in this thread...whether that's cast iron skillet, smoker, grill, etc. Whatcha got? I'm looking to change things up a bit.

TTIWWP

78006fe8463f4a2d6232b64c41d7911a70760c6b.jpg

I like to mix in some dried onion with the burger
Along with pepper and maybe garlic powder

Mix in about 1 T of bacon grease per 1/3# burger (especially if I only happen to have 93% lean burger)
Otherwise, I use 85% lean for burgers. But the bacon grease makes them extra tasty.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT