• Pancheros

• Moe's

• Qdoba

• Mexican restaurant

Results are only viewable after voting.

Stoopsbrother

HB All-State
Sep 16, 2022
Personally I don't think any of these can touch Qdoba with the pickled onions & jalapenos, also guacamole & queso is no extra charge.

If it's a good Pancheros location, I'm going with that. But some....most of them are beyond shitty anymore and it's sad. I voted for Pancheros but I do love Qdoba too.

After the Iowa vs Wisconsin game in Madison a few years ago, my buddy and I were drunk and sad and stopped into a Qdoba by our hotel. We walked in and started telling the dude what we wanted and the power went out for like a minute. The dude made our burritos then told us that it'll take like 5 mins for the register to restart, so we could just take the burritos and not pay/csb

Also, there's a food truck up here in CF/Waterloo called Tacos el Pariente. They have a "Burrito Poblano" which is a burrito made around a cheese stuffed grilled poblano pepper. It's phenomenal.

FreebirdsStorefront.jpg

Reactions: BelemNole
Everyone already knows Chipotle is trash
I honestly don't have an opinion on it since I've never eaten Mexican fast food. My kids like it though. My guess is that all of these restaurants are pretty much the same. Just like all of the gas station food that everyone always argues about on here.

TRUTH! If only 1993 Pancheros still existed.
2 pound burrito or el gordo or wtf they called it? The initiation ritual for women swimmers at Iowa was to eat one of them and dive off the high board. Inevitably, some girl would refund it and next one had to dive into said puke flotsam. My ex gf sucked at swimming and wound up diving into a sea of human puke.

Most times I'm back in Iowa City I'll try to get a Pancheros burrito on Riverside or one in Davenport on the way home and like one quarter of the time it's good but disappointing, the other times they aren't very good at all and very disappointing. I've just chalked it up to it being hard to find good help.

The Chipotles, Qdobas, Burrito Beach are all pretty similar in my book and are fine. The best are always going to be local spots.

No rice - wasted filler. Will not be convinced otherwise.

Exactly what I came to post…back before rice was used as a filler. Stuffed with meat and cheese. I can still picture the guy who took the orders because nobody else spoke English. Those burrito guys were savants. It’s nothing like it now.

My SIL's MIL. I'm not sure what my correct relational title is in regard to her. She's 100% Hispanic and she makes the most unbelievable cultural food I've ever had. Home-made salsas, guacamole. Tamales, wow. She makes a bunch for Christmas every year. And yes, burritos. Amazing skills.

Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
Worked there 95-96. Biggest regret is not getting the hot sauce recipe. Would see it being made but never noted what all went in it. Estela's and Pablo's in Cedar Falls were the closest that come to old school Panchero's. Looking forward to having Estela's a bit more often now that they are moving closer to North Liberty. Across the street from the Chipotle that just opened 😂

Reactions: Hawki97
Worked there 95-96. Biggest regret is not getting the hot sauce recipe. Would see it being made but never noted what all went in it. Estela's and Pablo's in Cedar Falls were the closest that come to old school Panchero's. Looking forward to having Estela's a bit more often now that they are moving closer to North Liberty. Across the street from the Chipotle that just opened 😂

Their tacos were actually the surprise of the menu. Two tortillas - but they put a slice of cheese between the tortillas and grilled them before putting in the taco goodness. And yes, the hot sauce was money. I essentially wrote pancheros off after they turned into vanilla chipotle.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT