ADVERTISEMENT

Best Carver crowd of the season?

A

anon_i8nzeu2gbf0ba

On TV at least, 1,200 miles from Iowa City, the crowd seemed energized from the opening tip and kept it up all game. Loud, standing, a real home court advantage for the Hawkeyes that, to me, seemed like the crowd's best 40-minutes of the season. Well done, Iowa fans. Now equal or better that effort in the revenge match vs. Purdue on Tuesday, then on to Champagne to finish with a flourish on Sunday.

But again, great job today by the Hawkeye crowd.

There is a bit of a conundrum right now- the weekday games are a real pain in the ass if you don’t live locally, so not only are those crowds a bit smaller, but it’s actually making the weekend games a ridiculously hot ticket because a lot of people WANT to see this team. I mean tickets today were selling for 5x face value.

I Agree. Not to mention it's a gorgeous day. Lots of Happy Hawkeyes doing their thing right now.:)

It has been 40 years, but I remember waiting in line for hours to buy season tickets on the first day they were sold. Would be great to get that interest back, especially among the students, so they can make some real noise. It was deafening in the late 70s watching a game in the Fieldhouse.

Folks. That was the best Carver crowd I’ve experienced since the Dayton NIT game. You could feel it even before tip, downtown IC was packed and buzzing by 9AM.

I can’t overstate how much we need to appreciate Fran. This program was one of the worst D-1 programs under Lick, with 0 fan-support and enthusiasm. Today’s atmosphere was simply incredible, feeling damn proud to be a Hawkeye.

Alot of fans showing up fired up that normally don't go. Garza is worth seeing alone. I wish Iowa would host some preseason games in Des Moines and the Mark. They would be sellouts and energetic crowds.

Yup. Traveled from Chicago because no way was I going to go this year without seeing Luka at home, I’m sure many others felt the same.

The problem ain't us. It's TV times and days of the week. Creighton sells 18,000 tickets because their whole fan base is 20 minutes from the game. Lots of Hawkeyes have to travel big distances, making a 6:00 pm start on a week night very difficult... especially with Iowa winters. The Hawkeyes ... this group for sure...are loved as much as any team. It just happens to be a tougher relationship.

With all the early talk of nobody being to able to win on the road in the Big Ten, Iowa is now the only Big Ten team that has not lost a conference game at home, and will likely remain so for the season.

Alot of fans showing up fired up that normally don't go. Garza is worth seeing alone. I wish Iowa would host some preseason games in Des Moines and the Mark. They would be sellouts and energetic crowds.
Just like KU playing a “neutral” site at KC or PSU playing at the Palestra.

It has been 40 years, but I remember waiting in line for hours to buy season tickets on the first day they were sold. Would be great to get that interest back, especially among the students, so they can make some real noise. It was deafening in the late 70s watching a game in the Fieldhouse.
That FIELDHOSE advantage was AWESOME.
CARVER could really rock if the students got fully involved like in the Lute and Dr. Tom days.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT