ADVERTISEMENT

Best Goal Line Stand Ever?

Everyone remembers this who was alive and paying attention. The young crowd on the board needs to see this. What a finish.

Remember that Jason Manson was our QB after an injury during the ISU game to Drew Tate. Their kicker made a ridiculously long fg (for him) to get to OT.

Everyone remembers this who was alive and paying attention. The young crowd on the board needs to see this. What a finish.

Remember that Jason Manson was our QB after an injury during the ISU game to Drew Tate. Their kicker made a ridiculously long fg (for him) to get to OT.
That was '05 that Tate got concussed during the ISU game.

Tate was injured before the season suffering an abdominal strain doing a hay bale toss......

That caught up to him before the Syracuse game and was a nagging issue the whole season.

Alex Kanellis credited with the next-to-last stop. He was a prized recruit in the great 2005 class, but unfortunately had to quit football because of concussions.

I remember running errands Saturday morning in Cedar Rapids before the game. It was kind up in the air on who was going to be the QB, right?

Alex Kanellis credited with the next-to-last stop. He was a prized recruit in the great 2005 class, but unfortunately had to quit football because of concussions.

Kanellis was credited with the stop by the tv crew that day but it was Mike Klinkenborg who filled the hole and stuffed the QB. Klinks career was also cut short due to concussions. Emotional week for Klink. The day after this game his Dad passed away unexpectedly. He played the following week against Iowa State. He had a hell of year in 2006. Second in the Big Ten in tackles with 129.

Minus Manson playing for an injured Tate and the goal line stand I can't remember anything else about this game. Couldn't find anything else on youtube for highlights unfortunately for this game minus the goal line stand. However good news is anyone living local in Eastern Iowa area I see where they picked this game on KCRG 9.2 as their Hawkeye replay of the week this Saturday at 9am.

Oh how I remember that like it was yesterday. I was living in the Washington DC area at the time. Several of the Capital Area Iowa Club members attended the game. I partied with a group before and after the game. Good times! GO HAWKS!

I’ve always said that instead of letting a team score, take the interference so they have to make a play to score, don’t just give it to them. With that said, those were two great interference penalties Iowa took instead of giving up the score to tie or possibly go for two and win by Syracuse.

Great team effort that day and love seeing the team and traveling fans celebrate the W. That scene is emblematic of Iowa football compared to other teams, as it seems when the Hawks pull out a W on the road, the broadcast ends for the game, always shows the players high fiving the fans on way back to the locker room.

Kanellis was credited with the stop by the tv crew that day but it was Mike Klinkenborg who filled the hole and stuffed the QB. Klinks career was also cut short due to concussions. Emotional week for Klink. The day after this game his Dad passed away unexpectedly. He played the following week against Iowa State. He had a hell of year in 2006. Second in the Big Ten in tackles with 129.
All always remember that as well. Big decision for Mike and his family about whether or not to play against ISU the week after his father passed. They decided his father (who passed away on the trip home from New York) would have wanted him with his teammates. Klink played his ass off against ISU. Still remember him carrying the trophy off the field, and the tears streaming down his face, making his eye black run down his face, while his teammates surrounded him. I cried like a baby......

Overtime is just starting on 9.2 in CR. I remember not even feeling happy after the last stop. More a feeling of relief.

All always remember that as well. Big decision for Mike and his family about whether or not to play against ISU the week after his father passed. They decided his father (who passed away on the trip home from New York) would have wanted him with his teammates. Klink played his ass off against ISU. Still remember him carrying the trophy off the field, and the tears streaming down his face, making his eye black run down his face, while his teammates surrounded him. I cried like a baby......

I distinctly remember the on-field reporter interviewing Klink right after the ISU win. She kept pressing him to share more detail on his emotions, until he was on the verge of fully breaking down. Then you hear KF, who’d been standing by his side just off camera the whole time, sternly say to her, “That’s enough,” as he pulled Klink away by his shoulderpad and led him back to his brothers.

Hell of a moment.

Reactions: HawkinWater

I was a freshman in high school when this happened.. does that put me in the young crowd?

One of my favorite Iowa memories. As soon as I saw the thread title I knew what OP was talking about and had to watch again. Pretty sure this is the moment I finally understood what "bend, don't break" meant.

ADVERTISEMENT