ADVERTISEMENT

Best New Wave Album

BelemNole

HR Legend
Mar 29, 2002
From start to finish, what you got?

I was watching New Wave: Dare to be Different last night on Showtime when I couldn't sleep. Mostly about WLIP in Long Island and how it broke so many alternative bands in the 80s. But it got me thinking as they interviewed all these great artists about which album was the best from start to finish.

I'm throwing out a controversial answer to get it rolling. Vincent Clark and Alison Moyet at their best.

I was watching New Wave: Dare to be Different last night on Showtime when I couldn't sleep. Mostly about WLIP in Long Island and how it broke so many alternative bands in the 80s. But it got me thinking as they interviewed all these great artists about which album was the best from start to finish.

I'm throwing out a controversial answer to get it rolling. Vincent Clark and Alison Moyet at their best.

Funny you mention Upstairs at Eric's. I had mostly forgotten about it until I watched The Americans -- and it plays a big part in a critical episode. Downloaded it and by God if it didn't sound even better in the 2020s than it did back then. Sublime album --- good call.

This one is probably my personal fave. Still in heavy rotation for me online and on vinyl:

51gf4yJtlOL.jpg

Funny you mention Upstairs at Eric's. I had mostly forgotten about it until I watched The Americans -- and it plays a big part in a critical episode. Downloaded it and by God if it didn't sound even better in the 2020s than it did back then. Sublime album --- good call.

This one is probably my personal fave. Still in heavy rotation for me online and on vinyl:

51gf4yJtlOL.jpg
I probably listen more often to New Order or Depeche Mode than I do Yaz, but when I heard that in the show last night it got me listening to the album again and damn if it wasn't near perfect.

Reactions: torbee and mstp1992
As divisive as they were in the early 80s, I don't know how you go with any other than Rio by Duran Duran.

Not a fan of any particular group, or the bulk of the style, but there are some songs I enjoy.

Reactions: mstp1992
Madness: “One Step Beyond” was really good.

I happen to like more of the early groups (e.g. X-Ray Spex, Buzzcocks, Pražský výběr, etc.). Hard to say which album is the best, though.
Great bands. Madness was ska, X-Ray Spex punk, and The Buzzcocks pop punk. I don’t think any used enough synth to be classified as New Wave.

As divisive as they were in the early 80s, I don't know how you go with any other than Rio by Duran Duran.

Not a fan of any particular group, or the bulk of the style, but there are some songs I enjoy.
First comment I can’t give a like too. Hated them. Still do.

Reactions: torbee

This would have been my choice, as well.

I’m still a big fan of Duran Duran. Saw them live in the late 80s and they were really quite good. Not as ‘synth’ as I had anticipated.
Other than Michael McDonald or Michael Bolton there are very few artists I don’t like.

I will say this for them, their rhythm section, John and Roger Taylor, were quite good. They were honestly quite underrated, probably because of their style. Level 42's Mark King has the same issue. He's an incredible funk bassist, but no one knows because, well, Level 42.

Are The Cars and Duran Duran considered New Wave? They both make heavy use of synth, but I think of them as more guitar-driven rock/pop.

I will say this for them, their rhythm section, John and Roger Taylor, were quite good. They were honestly quite underrated, probably because of their style. Level 42's Mark King has the same issue. He's an incredible funk bassist, but no one knows because, well, Level 42.
John Taylor was phenomenal live with the supergroup, Neurotic Outsiders.

Are The Cars and Duran Duran considered New Wave? They both make heavy use of synth, but I think of them as more guitar-driven rock/pop.
Definitely New Wave.

220px-Boys_Don%27t_Cry.jpg

First CD I ever owned. Might be stretching the definition of "new wave" a bit, but I think they count.
I came here to post the same album, Dave. Yeah, we can put this somewhere between post-punk and New Wave. Probably the former as it's pretty stripped down in its use of synths (I can only recall a synth on "Three Imaginary Boys").

Since hawkdave stole mine, I'll add the most "New Wave" sounding album I own (maybe the ONLY one I own, besides the later tracks on Blondie's Greatest Hits):

Missing_Persons_-_Spring_Session_M.jpg

I’m still a big fan of Duran Duran. Saw them live in the late 80s and they were really quite good. Not as ‘synth’ as I had anticipated.
Other than Michael McDonald or Michael Bolton there are very few artists I don’t like.
Always liked Duran Duran. The audio engineer I trained under to do live sound did concerts for them. Along with Metallica they were/are the biggest d-bags in the business, per his opinion.

We used to listen to new music that was first played in Iowa on KUNI. I'm not sure how to define New Wave, we used to call the new music Progressive rock. Groups like Holly & the Italians, Ramones, Sex Pistols, English Beat, UB40, The Jags, B-52's, The Clash. Anything new and fresh we would embrace but once it got too popular we moved on. Big Joan Jett fans until she made the top 40 then said bye.

Great album, Born to be Italian by Holly and the Italians.

We used to listen to new music that was first played in Iowa on KUNI. I'm not sure how to define New Wave, we used to call the new music Progressive rock. Groups like Holly & the Italians, Ramones, Sex Pistols, English Beat, UB40, The Jags, B-52's, The Clash. Anything new and fresh we would embrace but once it got too popular we moved on. Big Joan Jett fans until she made the top 40 then said bye.

Great album, Born to be Italian by Holly and the Italians.

I-liked-things.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT