ADVERTISEMENT

Best Programs of Kenpom Era (Since '97)

Does that include the new four or just the 14 thru 2023?

If just the 14, than it's probably about 3-4 spots lower than I would've guessed.

More shocked that Purdue isn't in the Top 20.

Also, F----- Wisconsin!!
Includes pac12 additions. UCLA and Oregon, specifically.

One kind of hinky thing about the rating, imo, is that it includes a recruiting component. Pomeroy justifies it by arguing that many highly ranked players choosing the same program is a statement about the stature of that program.

...I guess... Nevertheless, I would just prefer actual on court results.

PU a little surprising because I would expect them to be higher. Illinois also surprising because I would expect them to be lower because for a good third of that period, Illinois sucked pretty bad. The recruiting component might be responsible for that. I don't really care enough to dig into it though.

Last edited:
Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
I've said here several years ago that 1999/2000 was the turning point in the fortunes of our program and Wisconsin's. Wisconsin basically had no history for decades before that year when they went to the Final Four. If you ran these same numbers over that same time period of years ending in 2000, Iowa would have been top 20 at least and Wisconsin would have been in the 60s or lower most likely.

But we got rid of Dr. Tom and made two average hires and a bad hire wandering around in mediocrity in the 20+ years since. Wisconsin replaced their Final Four coach with Bo Ryan who had an amazing run in his career and replaced him with Gard who has been a bit hit or miss but at least hasn't been horrific like Lick was.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT