ADVERTISEMENT

Best Recent TV that Others May Not Know About

Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
I'm lucky enough to live near DC so I get lots of good Brit shows. One of the 4 (yes 4) different PBS providers in the area has a channel dedicated to UK shows. I think it's partly a test vehicle to see what gets enough viewers to move to the main channels.

Two Aussie Shows:

Miss Fisher Mysteries - 1920s Melbourne, wealthy flapper Phryne Fisher solves crimes. Great fun and wonderful ambiance.

Doctor Blake - 1950s Australia, former POW returns to his home town to take over his deceased father's medical practice, and solve crimes.

Others:

iZombie - this has to be the most fun new show this season. Not your shambling mindless zombies. Our heroine has to eats brains, true, but her job in the morgue gives her a supply. When eating brains turns out to give her glimpses of the dead person's life, she teams up with a local cop (under cover of receiving psychic visions) to help solve their murders. Sort of reminiscent of Tru Calling, but with a light touch of humor.

What have you got.

We probably would if we better funded PBS.[/QUOTE
]
Jesus, Miss Fisher Mysteries sounds pretty good. I like mysteries that are also period pieces. Give me detectives going from place to place in a hansom cab. Anne Perry's novels are excellent in that regard. A 1920s flapper detective gets bonus points for being original. You compared the brain-eating psychic zombie show to Tru Calling. Is she as hot as Eliza Dushku?

Reactions: naturalmwa
Agreed. Modern detectives have too many advantages. I'm not sure how they ever caught a criminal back on the day before photographs and electronic records. Pull a scam in 1700, then just move a 100 miles and who would know?

I bet that's why they had the death penalty for minor crimes. They knew they we not likely to get you, but if they did you were going to pay big.

Jesus, Miss Fisher Mysteries sounds pretty good. I like mysteries that are also period pieces. Give me detectives going from place to place in a hansom cab. Anne Perry's novels are excellent in that regard. A 1920s flapper detective gets bonus points for being original. You compared the brain-eating psychic zombie show to Tru Calling. Is she as hot as Eliza Dushku?
Not as sultry as Dushku, but a nice tight body. Pretty darn cute and a nice acting job. She takes on a bit of the personality of the person whose brain she eats. So it's a bit like Orphan Black in the sense that the actress gets to show off her flexibility a bit. Not every episode but enough that you can appreciate it. Her airhead cheerleader chops in the last episode were great.

Also a fan of Anne Perry's mysteries. Did you check out her WWI series (aka Reavely)? Maybe not quite as good as the best of Pitt, but still good and definitely worth it for the perspective on the war. You get period, war, spying, and a murder mystery in each book, so how can you miss?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT