ADVERTISEMENT

Best restaurant you have ever eaten at

Haven’t been in a few years honestly. Just haven’t been in town for dinner. Was not aware they moved.
Corner of 6th ave and 5th st in coralville now. Reservations only I'm pretty sure as they only have seating for 12 or something.

Corner of 6th ave and 5th st in coralville now. Reservations only I'm pretty sure as they only have seating for 12 or something.
I remember chatting the owner up. I believe he is self-trained and a former engineer who followed his passion. He is quite skilled.

801 Grand is the best in DM metro. They have awesome steak selections and a great selection of seafood.

Been to a lot of places with great memories and awesome meals......Chicago Gibson’s steaks and seafood tower. Grand Cayman, Cracked Conch, Calypso Cafe, Ristaurante Papagayo’s are just a few really great places for seafood, steak, and RP’s Italian. Love Joe’s in Vegas, Chicago, and the original in Miami just to name a few.

Reactions: kuchel20
Grays on Main in Franklin, TN

I don't have a favorite dish, everything I have had is out of this world.
It's probably the coolest restaurant on the inside I have ever been to as well (It's an old pharmacy)

4021_grays%20on%20main-.jpg
l.jpg
GRAYs-on-Main.jpg

801 Grand is the best in DM metro. They have awesome steak selections and a great selection of seafood.

Been to a lot of places with great memories and awesome meals......Chicago Gibson’s steaks and seafood tower. Grand Cayman, Cracked Conch, Calypso Cafe, Ristaurante Papagayo’s are just a few really great places for seafood, steak, and RP’s Italian. Love Joe’s in Vegas, Chicago, and the original in Miami just to name a few.
You are probably right it is the best. Not a poor but I feel like their prices are not justified as to the marginal gain in goodness to its competitors.

You are probably right it is the best. Not a poor but I feel like their prices are not justified as to the marginal gain in goodness to its competitors.

Frontera Grill in Chicago has great classed-up Mexican food. But my favorite is Russell's Beef House in Corinth, MS. I've been to many of the steak houses in Chicago (usually on the company's dime) but Russell's can stand up with any of them. From the outside it looks like another Mississippi dive, but inside the front door and behind a counter is a grill that must be 15-feet long or more, coals under it, with a few cooks tending to steaks, chops, burgers to order.

And they know how to cook steak over their coals. Medium rare comes out medium rare. Many restaurants bring out medium for that because customers are too f-ing stupid to know that MR means hot on the outside and red on the inside. Not pink, that's medium. Red.

Menace you are spot-on regarding Fricano's Pizza in Grand Haven, MI. And whoever said it, I truly miss the Iowa breaded pork tenderloins. I would always get one when I went back for football weekends, when we could go back for football weekends.

What is the greatest restaurant you have ever been to and is there a certain dish that you love? Also obviously name the location of the restaurant.

Could be a fancy pants upscale steakhouse or just a local diner.
Meadowood and French Laundry both in Napa. French Laundry had this lemon verbena salad that was a true taste bud epiphany. Unfortunately, Meadowood was burned down by the fires this summer.

I have been to a few mentioned here- I’m a big fan of Archie’s - being from the area I have eaten there on numerous occasions - the peppered New York is amazing- 801 Grand is also outstanding but for me I would have to say Manny’s in Minneapolis beats both

Six come to mind immediately. I am bad with names though.
1. 1492 in Chicago about 10 years ago. Tapas place. Wife (no pic) is a foodie. We were there for a weekend and it was so good, we ate there two nights.
2. Visited friends in Duesseldorf, Germany. First night there they took us to an Italian place a block from their apartment. I wish I remembered the name. Maybe it was jetlag, but I haven't had pasta that good since.
3. Same deal as #2, can't remember the name. We went to Barcelona last year and a friend referred us to an Italian joint. Life changing.
4. Business trip to China, Shenzhen. Bay side outdoor seafood joint with lots of Chinese "wine" which isn't wine, it puts hair on your nuts.
5. Flyin' Fish, Newport Beach, CA. Their cioppino and garlic bread are the best I have ever had.
6. Also Shenzhen. My first experience with hot pot. Spicy and delicious as hell. Also learned a life lesson of checking the facilities before you eat. Shitting in a hole in the floor ain't fun, boys.

Great thread, @srams21 . Thanks for these memories!
I've been to that tapas place in Chicago back in the day!

Reactions: jasonrann
AGO in West Hollywood (now closed) is probably the best of all time. Currently, Mahogany in Omaha is the best. We probably go 4-5 times per year. The tomahawk ribeye is the best steak I’ve ever had.

I couldn't even begin to tell you the name of it, but I had dinner one night in a tiny little restaurant outside of Verona, Italy. The place sat maybe 25 people at most. Everything was made from scratch, including the cheese. There were no menus, not even a chalkboard. The chef/waiter/owner came to the table and asked if we wanted fish or not. That was it. The people we were with explained that the guy's son catches the fish near Venice and drives it over three times a week. I want to say we had six courses, including some incredible linguini with shaved truffles. Easily the best meal I've ever had.

It was a small family owned restaurant in Paris. I did not record the name and location and regret that. It was in the Neully-sur-Seine area, but I I don't remember the name or exactly where it was. I have been to many fine restaurants, but the 3 hour meal there was the best I have ever had. Every course was homemade and amazing.

Reactions: billanole
I couldn't even begin to tell you the name of it, but I had dinner one night in a tiny little restaurant outside of Verona, Italy. The place sat maybe 25 people at most. Everything was made from scratch, including the cheese. There were no menus, not even a chalkboard. The chef/waiter/owner came to the table and asked if we wanted fish or not. That was it. The people we were with explained that the guy's son catches the fish near Venice and drives it over three times a week. I want to say we had six courses, including some incredible linguini with shaved truffles. Easily the best meal I've ever had.
Classic joint. Do you want fish ? We serve fish.
To many places try to do it all.

It was a small family owned restaurant in Paris. I did not record the name and location and regret that. It was in the Neully-sur-Seine area, but I I don't remember the name or exactly where it was. I have been to many fine restaurants, but the 3 hour meal there was the best I have ever had. Every course was homemade and amazing.
Outback a la Parie?

Hope you enjoyed your pigeon.
Fricking frogs.

Antoine's in New Orleans. I had lobster.

Tom's BBQ in Memphis. Rib tips.

Joe's Stone Crab - Miami Beach. Stone crab claws.

Verona is a neat town and full of great restaurants.

Grays on Main in Franklin, TN

I don't have a favorite dish, everything I have had is out of this world.
It's probably the coolest restaurant on the inside I have ever been to as well (It's an old pharmacy)

4021_grays%20on%20main-.jpg
l.jpg
GRAYs-on-Main.jpg
That's a few miles from my house. To be honest, I don't think I've ever eaten there.

For my money, nothing beats a Sunday morning Johnny's Italian Beef after a weekend of partying in Chicago. Extra juicy, sweet and hot; heaven.

Reactions: darylhawk
I don't get out much. But: Whatever the restaurant in the Highlander was called back in the 90s. Had the best filet mignon there I've ever had. Absolutely magical

If we’re judging on pure snobbery, either Per Se (NYC) or Alinea (Chicago)

Bern’s in Tampa is a personal favorite, as is Bacchanalia in Atlanta.
Have been to both. It is probably Alinea for me. The first time we went there they had one dish that, I shit you not, made me emotionally choked up. It was lobster, sweet corn, butter and a few other ingredients.

The smell and taste brought me straight to a time when my mother was at the end of her life. We had a meal with those same ingredients and somehow it was as if they bottled that experience, but wrapped it up in the most delicious package. It was an incredibly powerful, deeply personal moment.

We have been back a number of times...it is always outstanding, but they have yet to get me to tear up again (at least until I pay the bill 😜).

The best restaurant I've probably eaten at was the Metropolitan Grill in Seattle. Not the fanciest or the most expensive, but everything we had seemed perfect.

I did get to eat at Spago in Beverly Hills and also Morimoto in Philadelphia. Both of those were really good.

Reactions: Gonolz
Paradise Cove Beach Cafe in Malibu was impressive for scenic reasons as well as some pretty damn good seafood and drinks. Seafood usually isn’t my go to for restaurants but it’s the first that comes to my mind.

Council Oaks, the steakhouse in the Hard Rock in Tampa, was the best meal I have ever had.

Best all-around experience, Berns Steakhouse in Tampa. The food is excellent, the service truly perfect. Staff is amazingly well trained; they realize what you need before you ask for it, without feeling like they are hovering over you. To me that is the best part of Berns, even better than the great food or outstanding wine list.

But the most enjoyable, memorable meal I have experienced was a Sunday cookout at an over-the-water dive on Roatan, called The Hole in the Wall. Huge bowls of steamed shrimp that had come in on the shrimp boat earlier in the afternoon; fresh conch ceviche; grilled lobster; prime rib. Great food, amazing atmosphere.

I don't recall the name, it was a small family owned restaurant in Keokuk, the tourists and foodies haven't found it yet. The owner is out three times a day noodling catfish for the menu. It will probably be on the cover of Bon Appetit soon.

Two of my favorites:

1 - Smokey’s - Madison, WI. Best steakhouse I’ve ever been to. Family style hash browns and a large fillet runs about 50 bucks. Well worth it.

2 - World Famous - San Diego, CA. Seafood duh! I don’t remember exactly what I got but it was amazing. Only there 1 time but will be back when I get out there again.

Possibly Nage in Rehoboth Beach. Which I see is now Fork + Flask.
I was at Rehoboth Beach in 1994. Didn't visit any restaurants.
I can't really say I have been to a restaurant and walked away saying that is the best place I have ever been.

Last edited:
Pamplemousse le Restaurant in Vegas. We ate there on our wedding night on 04/20/2000. Was the food truly outstanding? The 26 year old me, and my beautiful bride(no pics, pervs) thought so at the time. That’s all that really matters.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT