ADVERTISEMENT

Best restaurant you have ever eaten at

Council Oaks, the steakhouse in the Hard Rock in Tampa, was the best meal I have ever had.

Best all-around experience, Berns Steakhouse in Tampa. The food is excellent, the service truly perfect. Staff is amazingly well trained; they realize what you need before you ask for it, without feeling like they are hovering over you. To me that is the best part of Berns, even better than the great food or outstanding wine list.

But the most enjoyable, memorable meal I have experienced was a Sunday cookout at an over-the-water dive on Roatan, called The Hole in the Wall. Huge bowls of steamed shrimp that had come in on the shrimp boat earlier in the afternoon; fresh conch ceviche; grilled lobster; prime rib. Great food, amazing atmosphere.

Several posts have mentioned Bern’s, rightfully so as it terrific. If you’re visiting Tampa and Bern’s is on your itinerary, I highly recommend staying at the Epicurean Hotel across the street. It’s fantastic. Wife and I were treated to a champagne toast upon arrival and there is a terrific rooftop bar great for a drink before you head over for dinner. It’s a Marriott property now (Autograph Collection) but still excellent.

Local Fav = Brazen Open Kitchen in Dubuque, IA is excellent. The Chef Kevin Scharpf is quite talented, and has a really good thing going in the revitalized millwork district of Dubuque.

bar-16.jpg

Brazen

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
First time I had a meal with courses was at Baru 66 in Windsor Heights. The duck and scallops were cooked to perfection. Still remember that meal

Local Fav = Brazen Open Kitchen in Dubuque, IA is excellent. The Chef Kevin Scharpf is quite talented, and has a really good thing going in the revitalized millwork district of Dubuque.

bar-16.jpg

Brazen
Had dinner there a few times while in town on business, very good food.

I’ve heard on a really good place in Burlington called Martini’s Grille on top of a building over looking the river that has unbelievable food. I’d like to get some input from the HROT connoisseurs.

Buca Mario in Florence was great.
Pasta Palazzo in Chicago.
Berns Steakhouse and Dessert Room in South Tampa.
Casey’s Kitchen all over the Midwest.

Whenever my wife and I are Las Vegas we always go to Sushisamba.

Sale e Pepe on Marco Island.

The Ahi Tuna Sashimi appetizer at the Sunset Grille on Marco is excellent.

We also enjoy Cobble Hill in Cedar Rapids.

The best restaurant I've probably eaten at was the Metropolitan Grill in Seattle. Not the fanciest or the most expensive, but everything we had seemed perfect.

Metropolitan Grill was excellent except for the booths were tiny. Small women and children may have had enough room in the booths. I had to request moving to a table. After that, everything was excellent.

Council Oaks, the steakhouse in the Hard Rock in Tampa, was the best meal I have ever had.

Best all-around experience, Berns Steakhouse in Tampa. The food is excellent, the service truly perfect. Staff is amazingly well trained; they realize what you need before you ask for it, without feeling like they are hovering over you. To me that is the best part of Berns, even better than the great food or outstanding wine list.

But the most enjoyable, memorable meal I have experienced was a Sunday cookout at an over-the-water dive on Roatan, called The Hole in the Wall. Huge bowls of steamed shrimp that had come in on the shrimp boat earlier in the afternoon; fresh conch ceviche; grilled lobster; prime rib. Great food, amazing atmosphere.

Council Oaks and Bern's are both excellent.

Langostinos with a tomato based sauce served with handmade spaghetti. It was at a hole in the wall, a long established family owned restaurant in Finale Ligure, Italy. I can’t remember the name but I could walk directly to it from the city center. Best part was its not even in the top 100 restaurants tabs I’ve ever paid. So good that I’m considering retirement there.

I have enjoyed thousands of meals over the year, most have been very good. I like family run joints, hole in the wall bar & grills, sale barns, and even some national chains. I think breakfasts are my least favorite meals. Dinners are best. But my favorite five are...

Hell in Rothenburg Germany
Crabby Joe's Howth Ireland
Colony Inn Amana Iowa (when Walt was alive and running it)
Deli-Cieux (sp?) top of Printemp in Paris
Winifred's Cedar Rapids Iowa

Hickory Park

Ok, in all seriousness, it’s probably the Bright Star restaurant in Bessemer AL. It’s over 100 years old, but they serve an amazingly tender and tasty beef tenderloin with some sort of Greek seasonings that requires absolutely no steak sauce.

Reactions: billanole

But I can still taste everything I had at Bogart’s Smokehouse in STL. Everything melted in my mouth, and growing up on a small family farm, I can appreciate when a hog is cooked perfectly.

Tell me you ordered the baked beans ... for the noobs, they cook them under the ribs so the drippings fall into the beans while the cook.

Bogarts for BBQ
Keens in Manhattan for steaks
Piccola Cucina in Manhattan for Italian

St. Louis has been lucky with several good CIA-type chefs opening up restaurants where rent is cheaper and with access to Midwest farm products.

In addition to those mentioned (Bogarts, Stone Soup, Sidney), try Trattoria Marcella, Balkan Treat Box, and Broadway Oyster Bar.

I miss Johnny's Vet's Club.

Tell me you ordered the baked beans ... for the noobs, they cook them under the ribs so the drippings fall into the beans while the cook.

Bogarts for BBQ

St. Louis has been lucky with several good CIA-type chefs opening up restaurants where rent is cheaper and with access to Midwest farm products.

In addition to those mentioned (Bogarts, Stone Soup, Sidney), try Trattoria Marcella, Balkan Treat Box, and Broadway Oyster Bar.

I have inlaws we visit in St. Louis. The number of excellent restaurants is staggering. I feel like it is an underrated culinary city, except for the pizza.

I have inlaws we visit in St. Louis. The number of excellent restaurants is staggering. I feel like it is an underrated culinary city, except for the pizza.

Yep, the pizza stinks (other than a few "normal" non-provel places) on ice. Otherwise, outstanding options around town.

Reactions: Tenacious E

Bogarts for BBQ

Bogart's = best ribs I've ever had.

It’s a tough question because the best meal wasn’t necessarily had at the best restaurant.

Commanders Palace for Jazz Brunch and Vetri (Philly) for tasting menu were probably the “best” restaurants but the Mussels in Red Sauce at Ralph’s in Philly may be the greatest thing I ever put in my mouth.

Then there’s Berns and everything about it.

In Paris we went to an all you can eat steak and fries place that was just phenomenal but not fancy by any means. So, it’s a tough question.

But if I could choose anything to eat at anytime it would be a dipped beef special at Nick’s Roast Beef (Philly) and gravy fries followed by hours of meat sweats and guilt.

And in the summer, I’ll take a cold beer and a bushel of Chesapeake blue crabs covered in Old Bay and be at Henlopen Oyster House down at the Delaware Beach.

Then of course, I went to college in New Haven, surrounded by the best pizza on earth.

So tough.

Two of my favorites:

1 - Smokey’s - Madison, WI. Best steakhouse I’ve ever been to. Family style hash browns and a large fillet runs about 50 bucks. Well worth it.

2 - World Famous - San Diego, CA. Seafood duh! I don’t remember exactly what I got but it was amazing. Only there 1 time but will be back when I get out there again.

World Famous is probably my answer also. Been there 2x. It was incredible both times.

Emril's in New Orleans. It was fantastic. The service alone was the best I have ever seen. I swear we had one waiter dedicated to us, when you only had one drink left in your glass he was there asking what you needed next. Just crazy good.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT