ADVERTISEMENT

Best Songs on Led Zeppelin II

Which cuts do you like best? Choose up to 3.

• Total voters
Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
I noticed that Target and Amazon are selling the vinyl version of this superalbum for half price That got me wondering how many Zep fans we have here, and which songs on this 50-year-old blockbuster people like best.

What Is and What Should Never Be is one of there best all time. So different than anything else being made in 1969 with the subdued mystical lyrics and massive power chorus, back and forth.

Fun fact, supposedly about Plant having an affair with his wife's younger sister...

I like Led Zepplin but as many may know, they ripped off numerous other musicians. The first song on this album was written by Willie Dixon. The Lemon Song was stolen from Howlin Wolf. Bring It On Home is yet another Willie Dixon song. They did change the songs to their style but how hard would it have been to give the real songwriters credit and their fair share of the money.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/led-zeppelins-10-boldest-rip-offs-223419/

What Is and What Should Never Be is one of there best all time. So different than anything else being made in 1969 with the subdued mystical lyrics and massive power chorus, back and forth.

Fun fact, supposedly about Plant having an affair with his wife's younger sister...
I read that, too (Plant’s affair).

I included Moby Dick (w/ What Is..., and Ramble On) if for no other reason as the basis of their live versions of the song with Bonham’s epic solos.

I like Led Zepplin but as many may know, they ripped off numerous other musicians. The first song on this album was written by Willie Dixon. The Lemon Song was stolen from Howlin Wolf. Bring It On Home is yet another Willie Dixon song. They did change the songs to their style but how hard would it have been to give the real songwriters credit and their fair share of the money.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/led-zeppelins-10-boldest-rip-offs-223419/
A LOT of musicians ripped off black artists who came before them.

The article mentions that - "Plenty of other bands in the 1960s played fast and loose with their songwriting credits, figuring they wouldn’t get caught: The Rolling Stones recorded “Love in Vain” but didn’t credit Robert Johnson as the song’s author. The Beatles swiped elements from musicians ranging from Chuck Berry to Pee Wee Crayton, but were usually careful to disguise the source. Led Zeppelin, however, took the practice further than most of their peers."

At the moment these lead the pack:

Ramble On
What Is and Should Never Be
Thank You

Those happen to be my picks, as well. HROT has better taste than I thought.

It’s a solid album with a lot of very good songs but none that I consider great or would put in my Top 10 Led Zeppelin songs. “Whole Lotta Love” is very overrated and overplayed.

Reactions: hexumhawk
It’s a solid album with a lot of very good songs but none that I consider great or would put in my Top 10 Led Zeppelin songs. “Whole Lotta Love” is very overrated and overplayed.
Now you've done it. What's your top 10?

Ramble On has to be in the top 10. What Is and Never Should Be is in the running. But they did do a bunch of awesome songs, so you might be right (except for Ramble On).

Maybe we should have a separate thread on best Zep songs of all time. Meanwhile, here are a couple of obvious ones to kick it off.

Stairway to Heaven (yes, maybe the most overplayed song of all time, but there's a reason for that - it's great)

Going to California

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...all-time-154694/fool-in-the-rain-1979-166542/

Last edited:
My first LP. Bought it after listening to it while "inhaling" at a buddy's house. Never looked back...

This might be both my favorite Led Zeppelin song AND my favorite blues song, although there are some close contenders for both honors. Page's playing is exquisite, and Plant ain't too shabby either.

Now you've done it. What's your top 10?

Ramble On has to be in the top 10. What Is and Never Should Be is in the running. But they did do a bunch of awesome songs, so you might be right (except for Ramble On).

Maybe we should have a separate thread on best Zep songs of all time. Meanwhile, here are a couple of obvious ones to kick it off.

Stairway to Heaven (yes, maybe the most overplayed song of all time, but there's a reason for that - it's great)

Going to California

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...all-time-154694/fool-in-the-rain-1979-166542/
Ramble On might sneak into my Top 10 depending on my mood on any given day.

Several of my favorites are from the fourth album. I completely agree with you on Stairway. It got an insane amount of airplay for a long time, but that’s because it’s a really great song. When the Levee Breaks is up there, along with Black Dog and maybe Misty Mountain Hop. The Battle of Evermore is also one of my favorites. If I’m not mistaken, it’s the only LZ studio song that features female backing vocals and also the only one that features a mandolin.

I also really like Gallows Pole, In the Evening, The Ocean, How Many More Times, Kashmir, Houses of the Holy, Ten Years Gone, and Nobody’s Fault But Mine.

Ramble On might sneak into my Top 10 depending on my mood on any given day.

Several of my favorites are from the fourth album. I completely agree with you on Stairway. It got an insane amount of airplay for a long time, but that’s because it’s a really great song. When the Levee Breaks is up there, along with Black Dog and maybe Misty Mountain Hop. The Battle of Evermore is also one of my favorites. If I’m not mistaken, it’s the only LZ studio song that features female backing vocals and also the only one that features a mandolin.

I also really like Gallows Pole, In the Evening, The Ocean, How Many More Times, Kashmir, Houses of the Holy, Ten Years Gone, and Nobody’s Fault But Mine.

my two favorite are Kashmir and The Immigrant Song.

Odd, I know.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT