ADVERTISEMENT

Best vodka

Colonoscopy

HR Legend
Feb 20, 2022
Saint Louis, Mo
I don't usually think much about my vodka purchases. I usually grab titos and that's good enough since I figure I'll always mix it anyway.

That said, see some new stuff I was unaware of, and wonder if it's worth a try, even if just for mixing.

Has anybody ever tried Hangar 1 Vodka? Seems pretty well reviewed.

I don't usually think much about my vodka purchases. I usually grab titos and that's good enough since I figure I'll always mix it anyway.

That said, see some new stuff I was unaware of, and wonder if it's worth a try, even if just for mixing.

That list is mostly crap. Tito’s and Hangar One in particular, they both have nitrates and nitrites that haven’t been distilled out as they leave too much heads and tails in their “heart”. If you don’t know what that means it essentially means cheapening out by not distilling and tossing a lot of bad alcohols and impurities away means bad ouchie heads.

My personal favorite vodkas are in order:

1) Ocean Organic Vodka - made from 100% Hawaiian sugarcane and so smooth and mellow it tastes only like warm Florida spring water.
2) Crystal Head Vodka/“Skull Vodka” - made from 100% Canadian corn it’s slight sweeter than Ocean but otherwise completely clean in flavor and much tastier than the Aurora/Opalescent variety made from English wheat and the Black/Obsidian variety made from Mexican agave.
3) Reyka Vodka - my favorite cheap vodka made from Barley and wheat grown on Iceland and using only pure Icelandic waters. This is almost as good as #1 and 2 but half the price or even less.
4) Russian Standard Platinum - made from 100% Russian soft winter wheat, it somehow retains a slight citrusy note despite being very smooth And made solely from Wheat. Due to the invasion of Ukraine I do not advocate for buying fresh bottles from Russia at this time. Hopefully in the future again.
5) Russian Standard Gold - also made from 100% Russian winter wheat but infused after distillation with a little Russian ginger.
6) Hammer and Sickle Vodka is also made with 100% Russian winter wheat. Like #4 and 5, I won’t be buying more of this anytime soon thanks to Russias invasion of the Ukraine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moral and fsu1jreed
I’ve started to prefer potato based vodkas lately. I can get a craft vodka here in NJ called Claremont that is excellent.

ci-claremont-vodka-bd11b5f0e9f70923.jpeg

On a mass scale, look for Chopin. I find potato vodka to be smoother.

13607825408030.png

Reactions: Colonoscopy
comb-vodka01_1400x.jpg
I really liked this vodka from Rye NY which is made From honey. It appears the price has really shot up as you used to able to buy a fifth for about $35. Now it’s $169.

Reactions: Colonoscopy
I’ve not found significant differences between vodkas. I’m not one who thinks they’re all exactly the same, as I’ve seen some people close to me have allergic reactions to some, but not others….but Tito’s is our standard, go-to vodka.
In the ghey bars where well drinks are 80% vodka you can really tell its cheap vodka. Such a strong taste.

To me there is Stoli and then everything else.

You need an update bot

Eh it was late when I posted that and I was originally going to do three nonRussian and Three Russian and then said eff it and put them together. I do ordinarily keep all six on hand plus some craft vodkas I’ve picked up on travels and a few flavored ones (not the cotton candy and fruity flavored BS but Bisongrass, honeysuckle, tea, truffle, hibiscus etc…).

That list is mostly crap. Tito’s and Hangar One in particular, they both have nitrates and nitrites that haven’t been distilled out as they leave too much heads and tails in their “heart”. If you don’t know what that means it essentially means cheapening out by not distilling and tossing a lot of bad alcohols and impurities away means bad ouchie heads.

1) Ocean Organic Vodka - made from 100% Hawaiian sugarcane and so smooth and mellow it tastes only like warm Florida spring water.
2) Crystal Head Vodka/“Skull Vodka” - made from 100% Canadian corn it’s slight sweeter than Ocean but otherwise completely clean in flavor and much tastier than the Aurora/Opalescent variety made from English wheat and the Black/Obsidian variety made from Mexican agave.
3) Reyka Vodka - my favorite cheap vodka made from Barley and wheat grown on Iceland and using only pure Icelandic waters. This is almost as good as #1 and 2 but half the price or even less.
4) Russian Standard Platinum - made from 100% Russian soft winter wheat, it somehow retains a slight citrusy note despite being very smooth And made solely from Wheat. Due to the invasion of Ukraine I do not advocate for buying fresh bottles from Russia at this time. Hopefully in the future again.
5) Russian Standard Gold - also made from 100% Russian winter wheat but infused after distillation with a little Russian ginger.
6) Hammer and Sickle Vodka is also made with 100% Russian winter wheat. Like #4 and 5, I won’t be buying more of this anytime soon thanks to Russias invasion of the Ukraine.
When did @FSUTribe76 get banned and some back with a new user name?

I usually have 5-6 different vodkas in my bar. On the bottom end I use Smirnoff because I have three regulars that prefer it. On the top end I usually have Grey Goose or Beluga. In the middle, Ketel One, Tito’s, and a few others.

When did Tito’s first get started? It feels like 10 years ago it didn’t exist and now it’s everyone’s go-to Vodka.

Reactions: Moral

Ocean Organic Vodka does seem really well reviewed. And it's not outrageous. May pick this up. Thnx bot

It’s not the best Vodka out there but bang for the Buck, can’t go wrong with Tito’s. It’s good vodka.

No it’s not. It’s pretty harsh with a bunch of heads and tails left in with bad alcohols that smell and taste of lighter fluid. There are dozens of better easily available mass produced products that are better and even more craft products you can pick up in every state that are better (just in Florida, St Augustine, Tallahassee’s own Ology, Kozuba and Sons, and Rollins make better vodka). Seriously, give the Reyka Icelandic vodka a try, right now it’s only two dollars cheaper on Total Wine than the %*%* Tito’s ($18.99 a 750ml versus $16.99). Not only is it far smoother and tastier, your head will thank you when you don’t have a headache the next day from all the nitrites and nitrates in it (which are also cancer causing btw).

Reactions: nolesincebirth
Used to buy Smirnoff. Now I buy New Amsterdam as my stock vodka of choice. Cheap and tastes fine to me. Mainly use vodka for vodka/lemonade, Moscow Mule, or vodka martini.

Love a Stoli martini. That first sip will leave you gasping but the rest is like drinking water. Smooth.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT