ADVERTISEMENT

Beware of the Lone Star

billanole

HR Legend
Mar 5, 2005
This stuff is no fun. Turkey bacon just isn’t the same.

According to data collected by the government agency, between 2010 and 2022 there were more than 110,000 alpha-gal syndrome cases reported within the United States. However, the CDC said that up to 450,000 people might have been affected by the syndrome and not have reported it. In order for the syndrome to be counted in the data set, a positive diagnostic test and a clinical examination must be completed.

“Alpha-gal syndrome is an important emerging public health problem, with potentially severe health impacts that can last a lifetime for some patients,” Ann Carpenter, epidemiologist and lead author of a study released in 2023, said on the CDC’s website. “It’s critical for clinicians to be aware of (alpha-gal syndrome) so they can properly evaluate, diagnose, and manage their patients and also educate them on tick-bite prevention to protect patients from developing this allergic condition.”

• Haha
Reactions: Here_4_a_Day
This stuff is no fun. Turkey bacon just isn’t the same.

According to data collected by the government agency, between 2010 and 2022 there were more than 110,000 alpha-gal syndrome cases reported within the United States. However, the CDC said that up to 450,000 people might have been affected by the syndrome and not have reported it. In order for the syndrome to be counted in the data set, a positive diagnostic test and a clinical examination must be completed.

“Alpha-gal syndrome is an important emerging public health problem, with potentially severe health impacts that can last a lifetime for some patients,” Ann Carpenter, epidemiologist and lead author of a study released in 2023, said on the CDC’s website. “It’s critical for clinicians to be aware of (alpha-gal syndrome) so they can properly evaluate, diagnose, and manage their patients and also educate them on tick-bite prevention to protect patients from developing this allergic condition.”
Stupid tick. Sullying the good name of Lonestar

Best Friends Reaction GIF by Laff

OP do you have AG? I hate ticks. I hate them more than spiders and snakes. (I actually love spiders). I like to be outdoors and I am always meticulously checking for them. I have never seen a lone star yet, despite them being almost everywhere in eastern NE and most of Iowa. Luckily all I Pretty much see are dog ticks. Still, f*cking hate them.

All ticks are KOS.

OP do you have AG? I hate ticks. I hate them more than spiders and snakes. I like to be outdoors and I am always meticulously checking for them. I have never seen a lone star yet, despite them being almost everywhere in eastern NE and most of Iowa. Luckily all I Pretty much see are dog ticks. Still, f*cking hate them.

All ticks are KOS.
Yep, tho I haven’t seen a tick on me in years. The LS is very active in SW Virginia, where I hike and camp a lot, specifically on the AT and in the Virginia Highlands area.
I nearly tapped out one day after an Italian sub lunch.

Yep, tho I haven’t seen a tick on me in years. The LS is very active in SW Virginia, where I hike and camp a lot, specifically on the AT and in the Virginia Highlands area.
I nearly tapped out one day after an Italian sub lunch.
Wild. Do they suspect you maybe just had a bite and it got brushed off or something? What were the tests like? Just basically a blood sample? I was under the impression that they needed to be attached around 24 hours otherwise you were unlikely to become infected. Maybe that's not necesarily true or only pertains to lyme.

Reactions: Moral and billanole
Currently on day 4 of Doxycycline. Got lit up by the lone star this past weekend. Found it soon so pretty sure I'm good to go.

Reactions: billanole
Wild. Do they suspect you maybe just had a bite and it got brushed off or something? What were the tests like? Just basically a blood sample? I was under the impression that they needed to be attached around 24 hours otherwise you were unlikely to become infected. Maybe that's not necesarily true or only pertains to lyme.
No clue when infected. Emergency room Doc in South Carolina mentioned a vague reference to a “red meat allergy” he had heard about.
My primary sent me to an allergist who did blood work as well as pricking my back with six known allergens to test for reactions. Since I reacted violently in SC, she suspected fire ants. I told her that growing up in N. Fl I know fire ants and there had been no bite.
Tests results were mild reaction to fire ants (of course, those MF’s suck) and strong reaction to Alpha Gal.
I have since seen an article referencing a survey of a large number of MDs and over 40% were unaware of AG. They then interpolated the number out to suggest the large number of undiagnosed cases.
Multiple restaurants I have eaten in the nearly year and a half since diagnosis are familiar with the issue as patrons have specified mammal free products. I am lucky to be tolerant of dairy products.
One place in Virginia told me that a long time customer became free of the problem, which tracks with the suggestion that after 2-4 years some folks become AG free… until reinfection.
I have had to pop Benadryl from time to time with mild reactions, had to nail myself with an EPI one night during a violent episode. Crazy hives and itching, chills, dizziness and blurry vision. Almost instant relief began after the EPI prick.

Reactions: millah_22 and Moral
I have a good friend who had this happen to him about 18 months ago. First it was just bed and now it is any hoofed mammals. Which were all is favorite. He is pretty miserable and sick of chicken and fish.

Reactions: Moral and billanole
Currently on day 4 of Doxycycline. Got lit up by the lone star this past weekend. Found it soon so pretty sure I'm good to go.
Interesting. I have never heard of that drug, but have known folks with Lyme disease, for which it is used.

Specifically, doxycycline is indicated for treatment of the following diseases:[29][30]

I have a good friend who had this happen to him about 18 months ago. First it was just bed and now it is any hoofed mammals. Which were all is favorite. He is pretty miserable and sick of chicken and fish.
I resemble that remark, tho long term it is good to eat less meat. We eat more Turkey and veggie dishes these days. The no pic has embraced the diet change, luckily.

Interesting. I have never heard of that drug, but have known folks with Lyme disease, for which it is used.

Specifically, doxycycline is indicated for treatment of the following diseases:[29][30]

Last year I had a similar bite on my ear. Now that I see what this latest bite did (confirmed lone star), I'm pretty certain it was also the lone star tick last year. I didn't go to the doctor last year which was a mistake because the wound site lasted much longer. Lost count of how many ticks I found on me during May and June last year. So far this year I've only had two. Between that and the poison ivy infections, you'd think I'd learn my lesson.

OP do you have AG? I hate ticks. I hate them more than spiders and snakes. (I actually love spiders). I like to be outdoors and I am always meticulously checking for them. I have never seen a lone star yet, despite them being almost everywhere in eastern NE and most of Iowa. Luckily all I Pretty much see are dog ticks. Still, f*cking hate them.

All ticks are KOS.
I hate ticks more than milk Legos or windshield wipers

Reactions: millah_22
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT