ADVERTISEMENT

Biden’s numbers collapsing among the young

Hey everybody, the Wet Blanket of HROT joined us. Welcome Tim!! Try not to suck the energy out of the place
Uh, what’s your problem with me? I can’t even remember the last time I replied to one of your posts.

I posted the gif because those two options would drive me to drink. They should drive anyone to drink.

Reactions: TylerJ76
Most of this is generally correct, but the fact young people don't seem to understand why any of this happened is mind boggling. It wasn't for a lack of effort on Biden's part. The blame lies at the feet of 52 Senators. If young people want these things, they need to go out and vote Republicans out of Congress. They sure as hell aren't going to get it if they don't show up or protest vote for Republicans.

Uh, what’s your problem with me? I can’t even remember the last time I replied to one of your posts.

I posted the gif because those two options would drive me to drink. They should drive anyone to drink.

I don't know you just always seem like the guy nobody is talking to at the party, when you post. Maybe I'm wrong and you just command a room when you walk in. 🤷

(CNN)Young Americans have turned on Joe Biden.
That's the shocking finding of a Gallup analysis of its polling over the breadth of Biden's term released this week.

In the early days of Biden's presidency (from January 2021 to June 2021), an average of 6 in 10 adult members of Generation Z -- those born between 1997 and 2004 -- approved of the job Biden was doing. During the period spanning September 2021 to March 2022, that number had plummeted to an average of just 39%.

Among millennials -- those born between 1981 and 1996 -- the collapse is similarly stark. Biden's approval rating among that group stood at 60% in aggregated Gallup numbers in the first half of 2021, compared with 41% more recently.

That loss in confidence among young people was, interestingly, not as steep among older age groups. Over that same period, Biden's approval ratings among baby boomers -- those born between 1946 and 1964 -- dipped by only 7 points. Among "traditionalists" -- those born before 1946 -- his approval rating was unchanged.

Now, some of the discrepancy is because younger Americans were far more positive about Biden at the start of his presidency than older Americans. So there was just more room to fall.

At the same time, it's clear in other surveys that there has been a significant lessening of enthusiasm for Biden among younger Americans. A Quinnipiac poll released this week showed that just 21% of those aged 18 to 34 said they approved of the way the President was handling his job, while 58% disapproved.

By comparison, 36% of Americans aged 35 to 49 and 35% of Americans aged 50 to 64 approved of Biden's job performance. Among Americans 65 and over, 48% said the same.

What explains Biden's precipitous drop-off among young Americans? It's hard to pinpoint any one reason, but there's no question the delta between what young people expected out of the Biden presidency -- particularly when it came to dealing with Covid-19 -- and what they got is substantial.

As Gallup's Jeffrey Jones noted:

"By the summer [of 2021], as coronavirus cases unexpectedly rose, Biden had lost significant support among Generation Z, millennials and Generation X, ranging from seven- to 10-percentage-point drops."

Regardless of the reason, the fade in youth support for Biden is a major problem for Democrats. Especially when you consider that he won 60% of the youth vote -- those aged 18 to 34 -- in the 2020 presidential election, according to exit polls. It was, by far, his best performance among any age cohort.
Thankfully they don't vote

I don't know you just always seem like the guy nobody is talking to at the party, when you post. Maybe I'm wrong and you just command a room when you walk in. 🤷
I don’t even post on here that much anymore. I don’t know what to tell you.

EVERY Republican and TWO Democrats are blocking any progress. But we can go on ignoring the deficit being cut and unemployment being down. Ignore being respected again on the world stage, not to mention our president being the leader of the free world again. I’ve about given up on my country. We’re almost finished as what I thought we were.
I have not spent any time on HROT until recently, so I don't know much about each poster. I am saying this as constructively as possible, but I think most objective views on the deficit being cut and unemployment begin down is misleading based on 2020 Covid shut downs. If there are more specifics you can share to support your argument, then I am open to listening to them.

Those two Dems may be responsible for any chances the Dems have in maintaining majorities in either chamber. They have $1.9 T to spend.......let's get spending that first! YOU JUST CANNOT KEEP GIVING AWAY $$ without paying the piper. Manchin was never the problem.....he was perhaps the only guy in the Senate who looked at the problem objectively and not thru a political lense.
I pretty much disagree with this.

Why do you think canceling student debt has come back up? It’s all about trying to buy future votes.
In a highly precarious spot. There will be droves of debt paying voters turning on Biden if the student debt idea comes to fruition.

Both sides will screw up this opportunity, just as we’ve done with immigration, but the debt cancellation talk should spur a deeper discussion of the issues of higher education costs. There are so many factors to this equation:
  • Push for 4-year college to a lot of kids who would be better off getting started working, pursuing a trade or going to a 2-year college first to figure out what they want to do
  • Easily available money makes it easy to charge more and colleges use their endowments and other sources so that they can (all to often) not compete on price
  • Reductions in state funding towards higher ed in a lot of states
  • Until the pandemic, entry- and early-career wage stagnation (individual paths have growth, certainly, but college costs have risen significantly faster than starting and early-career wages)
Loan forgiveness doesn’t really solve much. It helps a lot of people currently struggling with college debt, but the current students continue to rack up massive debt. There’s not much to be done about those who have had student debt and paid it off, but I’d rather address the root cause than worry too much about who is made whole.

A populace that isn’t buried in debt should help drive a stronger economy, so while there would be some short-term pain in terms of how colleges price and overall 4-years degree numbers, allowing adults to move into a phase of life where they’re free to spend, invest, start businesses, etc. faster would be really good for the overall economic health.

Reactions: bhawk24bob
(CNN)Young Americans have turned on Joe Biden.
That's the shocking finding of a Gallup analysis of its polling over the breadth of Biden's term released this week.

In the early days of Biden's presidency (from January 2021 to June 2021), an average of 6 in 10 adult members of Generation Z -- those born between 1997 and 2004 -- approved of the job Biden was doing. During the period spanning September 2021 to March 2022, that number had plummeted to an average of just 39%.

Among millennials -- those born between 1981 and 1996 -- the collapse is similarly stark. Biden's approval rating among that group stood at 60% in aggregated Gallup numbers in the first half of 2021, compared with 41% more recently.

That loss in confidence among young people was, interestingly, not as steep among older age groups. Over that same period, Biden's approval ratings among baby boomers -- those born between 1946 and 1964 -- dipped by only 7 points. Among "traditionalists" -- those born before 1946 -- his approval rating was unchanged.

Now, some of the discrepancy is because younger Americans were far more positive about Biden at the start of his presidency than older Americans. So there was just more room to fall.

At the same time, it's clear in other surveys that there has been a significant lessening of enthusiasm for Biden among younger Americans. A Quinnipiac poll released this week showed that just 21% of those aged 18 to 34 said they approved of the way the President was handling his job, while 58% disapproved.

By comparison, 36% of Americans aged 35 to 49 and 35% of Americans aged 50 to 64 approved of Biden's job performance. Among Americans 65 and over, 48% said the same.

What explains Biden's precipitous drop-off among young Americans? It's hard to pinpoint any one reason, but there's no question the delta between what young people expected out of the Biden presidency -- particularly when it came to dealing with Covid-19 -- and what they got is substantial.

As Gallup's Jeffrey Jones noted:

"By the summer [of 2021], as coronavirus cases unexpectedly rose, Biden had lost significant support among Generation Z, millennials and Generation X, ranging from seven- to 10-percentage-point drops."

Regardless of the reason, the fade in youth support for Biden is a major problem for Democrats. Especially when you consider that he won 60% of the youth vote -- those aged 18 to 34 -- in the 2020 presidential election, according to exit polls. It was, by far, his best performance among any age cohort.

Weird

BoA claims they're doing very very well post-pandemic

I just mean that I don’t think she’s some automatic heir apparent if Biden decides not to run again. If Biden does run again, then I think she’s sort of out - she’d have a really hard time being a challenger to him.
Was Agnew there to replace Nixon? As it turned out he was there to show Nixon how easy it was to leave office and avoid jail. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: hawkifann
ADVERTISEMENT