ADVERTISEMENT

Biden administration creates 'Disinformation Governance Board' under DHS to fight 'misinformation'

Absolutely.

That said, it will be headed by a political appointee, so I'm doubtful that there will be many positive outcomes.

Just wait until a Republican gets to appoint a Truth Czar and we can watch everybody's stance on this do a quick 180.
Exactly. So predictable.

Reactions: HawCory
Tom….Dem leadership went to Ivy League schools and are millionaires too.
Elites is a Republican BS talking point. C’mon. Ted Cruz and several others have been using it for years because they’re the party of the workin’ man. Lol. Goldie was spouting something those assholes say consistently.

Reactions: TheCainer
Ciggy replied “good” early on. I agree with him. You foxtards with your pizza gate Qanon Alex Jones BS are the reason for this.
This is just another thing that’s gonna backfire on the Dems. They start something they are incapable of managing effectively and are going to end up turning it over to someone who will manage it perfectly, but for their own evil benefits. And the Dems will lose their shit over it. We’ve seen this movie before.

Those guys are dead.
Most of the people who pushed the Iraq WMD disinformation are still alive. Many of them became loudly supportive of the Democratic Party.
The person selected to head the outfit has herself unapologetically pushed disinformation before the last election.
How can you think this is no longer a problem?

Even if you thought we’d hit a new, lofty plateau in government honesty and trust, isn’t it naive to imagine this kind of power wouldn’t be misused?

Reactions: LarryStation
Most of the people who pushed the Iraq WMD disinformation are still alive. Many of them became loudly supportive of the Democratic Party.
The person selected to head the outfit has herself unapologetically pushed disinformation before the last election.

Even if you thought we’d hit a new, lofty plateau in government honesty and trust, isn’t it naive to imagine this kind of power wouldn’t be misused?
What is the solution for stopping the spread of disinformation? I am curious about your solution.

Reactions: Tom Paris

No one from the gulf of Tonkin is still in govt. most are dead.
I think fighting Russian propaganda is a good idea. I understand that you don’t.

Reactions: noleclone2
It's going to backfire, but not into an authoritarian Ministry of Truth. They're not going to be able to do anything except set up a government Snopes website. It will backfire like the CDC issuing guidelines for everyone to follow for COVID. If people don't believe what they say or care what they say, they won't listen to them and the personnel will be mocked online. It will be an embarrassment for Biden.

I understand you're slow to get why I reference those lies that led to ratcheting up our involvement in Vietnam.

Maybe visuals will help:

KPcPOqx.png

I think fighting Russian propaganda is a good idea. I understand that you don’t.
I don't think creating American propaganda is a good idea. I understand that you do.

"Saddam Hussein has spent the better part of this decade and much of his nation's wealth not on providing for the Iraqi people but on developing nuclear, chemical, and biological weapons and the missiles to deliver them."
-- President Bill Clinton (State of the Union Address), Jan. 27, 1998

Is this disinformation agent dead or alive?

"Iraq's search for weapons of mass destruction has proven impossible to deter and we should assume that it will continue for as long as Saddam is in power. We know that he has stored secret supplies of biological and chemical weapons throughout his country." "
-- Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002

I applaud the President on focusing on this issue and on taking the lead to disarm Saddam Hussein. ... Others have talked about this threat that is posed by Saddam Hussein. Yes, he has chemical weapons, he has biological weapons, he is trying to get nuclear weapons."

-- Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D. CA) Oct. 10, 2002

It is clear, however, that if left unchecked, Saddam Hussein will continue to increase his capacity to wage biological and chemical warfare, and will keep trying to develop nuclear weapons."
-- Sen. Hillary Clinton (D, NY), Oct 10, 2002

I asked very direct questions of the top people in the CIA and people who'd served in the Clinton administration. And they said they believed that Saddam Hussein either had weapons or had the components of weapons or the ability to quickly make weapons of mass destruction. What we're worried about is an A-bomb in a Ryder truck in New York, in Washington and St. Louis. It cannot happen. We have to prevent it from happening.
-- Rep. Richard Gephardt (D, MT) Nov. 2, 2003

Ciggy replied “good” early on. I agree with him. You foxtards with your pizza gate Qanon Alex Jones BS are the reason for this.
Liberals using the R-Word or any form of it continues to amaze me. I expect the idiots on the far right to be disgusting. I‘ve always thought liberals were more inclusive and champions for those that cannot defend themselves. HORT proves me wrong time and time again.

And before anyone points out how I’m not calling out those on right, see my second sentence above. Most I don’t even bother with and put on ignore.

I am shocked that the right wingers on here are terrified of a board whose job it is to point out complete bullshit. I'm not sure why they are thinking the next step is going to be to round them up and throw them in concentration camps, after all, they've got a million guns.
It seems as though you sincerely believe that our government’s job is to determine what we need to know after removing the clutter of free speech someone has classified as “bulls..t”.
Why are you no longer interested in learning how to be capable of determining that yourself?

It would be if you could sort out actual propaganda from political activities by the parties, but you simply cannot. Russia,Russia, Russia talking points abound, as we have seen over the last few years. This is a terrible idea with even worse optics. Biden should fire Mayorkas and denounce it or it will cause him political damage.

Oh holy crap! Stop denying what the members of your party and it's leaders are selling and believing. There are Republicans on this board who think the democrats stole the election. I'm not convinced you're not one of them. It is completely obvious a massive amount of people you vote with believe the big lie. They believe the conman. You do. You voted for him and will again in 2024.

I usually have you on ignore (for several reasons, but apparently you’ve not returned the favor).
Calm down - please - before you ratchet up your emotional and ill-considered screaming at individuals from that corner of the room where you are hunched in a hysterical 😩 heap with a box of Kleenex.
Thank you.

Well maybe both sides can come up with an agreeable solution then. Disinformation is a massive problem right now. I know this will piss all the right wingers off, but the problem is largely on your side and it IS being pushed largely by enemy states. In West Europe too. And mainly by Russia.
If we don’t figure out how to fight it, in another 10 years we will be as ludicrous as the Russian people marching to Z arm bands and flags, watching the complete RT lies on TV and believing they are winning a just war. Disinformation and propaganda is the tool of authoritarian and fascist rulers and we have a major issue with it thanks to how easy it is to spread these days. So what is the solution?

Tom….Dem leadership went to Ivy League schools and are millionaires too.
Actually the Dem leadership tend to be more Ivy League eastern elites than the R’s. And they “tolerate” the left coast crew because they can count and know that the Cali folks bring the numbers.

Reactions: Chillyhoff
Well maybe both sides can come up with an agreeable solution then. Disinformation is a massive problem right now. I know this will piss all the right wingers off, but the problem is largely on your side and it IS being pushed largely by enemy states. In West Europe too. And mainly by Russia.
If we don’t figure out how to fight it, in another 10 years we will be as ludicrous as the Russian people marching to Z arm bands and flags, watching the complete RT lies on TV and believing they are winning a just war. Disinformation and propaganda is the tool of authoritarian and fascist rulers and we have a major issue with it thanks to how easy it is to spread these days. So what is the solution?

I’d suggest you take more time to read the room, if you will.
There’s some pretty bad actors out there. If they can make you “look over there, not over here” then they win.

Reactions: dandh
This is just another thing that’s gonna backfire on the Dems. They start something they are incapable of managing effectively and are going to end up turning it over to someone who will manage it perfectly, but for their own evil benefits. And the Dems will lose their shit over it. We’ve seen this movie before.

The need to defend all things left by the usual crew would be funny if it weren’t frightening.

I don’t know the answer, but I can tell you what the answer isn’t. The answer isn’t to create a board and appoint someone to lead it who has already proven to spread misinformation. Maybe we should start there.

Disinformation and propaganda is the tool of authoritarian and fascist rulers and we have a major issue with it thanks to how easy it is to spread these days. So what is the solution?
What should we do with these disinformation agents?

"Saddam Hussein has spent the better part of this decade and much of his nation's wealth not on providing for the Iraqi people but on developing nuclear, chemical, and biological weapons and the missiles to deliver them."

"Iraq's search for weapons of mass destruction has proven impossible to deter and we should assume that it will continue for as long as Saddam is in power. We know that he has stored secret supplies of biological and chemical weapons throughout his country." "

I applaud the President on focusing on this issue and on taking the lead to disarm Saddam Hussein. ... Others have talked about this threat that is posed by Saddam Hussein. Yes, he has chemical weapons, he has biological weapons, he is trying to get nuclear weapons."

It is clear, however, that if left unchecked, Saddam Hussein will continue to increase his capacity to wage biological and chemical warfare, and will keep trying to develop nuclear weapons."

I asked very direct questions of the top people in the CIA and people who'd served in the Clinton administration. And they said they believed that Saddam Hussein either had weapons or had the components of weapons or the ability to quickly make weapons of mass destruction. What we're worried about is an A-bomb in a Ryder truck in New York, in Washington and St. Louis. It cannot happen. We have to prevent it from happening.

It seems as though you sincerely believe that our government’s job is to determine what we need to know after removing the clutter of free speech someone has classified as “bulls..t”.
Why are you no longer interested in learning how to be capable of determining that yourself
Again, the devil is in the details but a committee that is run well wouldn't determine what you need to know, it would just tell you if something you are hearing is accurate or not.

I am perfectly capable of determining what is true or not, but it is very clear that there are large numbers of people who are not. Missinformation is a national security threat and ensuring people know if something is true or not is the best way to fight it. Not that the people who believe that Democrats eat babies and drink their blood are going to be convinced by anyone telling them otherwise.

Reactions: LarryStation
Again, the devil is in the details but a committee that is run well wouldn't determine what you need to know, it would just tell you if something you are hearing is accurate or not.
Would it tell me if Hunter Biden's laptop is real?
Would it tell me Saddam has WMD that can be fired in 45 minutes?

I am perfectly capable of determining what is true or not, but it is very clear that there are large numbers of people who are not. Missinformation is a national security threat and ensuring people know if something is true or not is the best way to fight it.
It is a national security threat.
What do we do about these disinformation agents?

Just another tool to sow division in our country and distrust in our government. The idiots currently in charge are batting .1000 on bad ideas.

Reactions: HawkeyeShawn
What is the solution for stopping the spread of disinformation? I am curious about your solution.
People have lied since adam and eve ate the apple. Hard to believe but true. Now we will have the government telling us what is true. Yeah that's a good idea no matter which party is in control.

Absolutely.

That said, it will be headed by a political appointee, so I'm doubtful that there will be many positive outcomes.

Just wait until a Republican gets to appoint a Truth Czar and we can watch everybody's stance on this do a quick 180.
I hope they put in a Jerry Falwell type character to kill this idea forever. Jesus is now the truth bitches. Hilarious

I am perfectly capable of determining what is true or not, but it is very clear that there are large numbers of people who are not. Missinformation is a national security threat and ensuring people know if something is true or not is the best way to fight it. Not that the people who believe that Democrats eat babies and drink their blood are going to be convinced by anyone telling them otherwise.
I’ve literally never met any inbred who thinks Dems eat babies. I think all five of them have gone back to their cave.
Have you ever realized that the “mainstream media” - truly a contradiction in terms - found five weirdos and pounced on them to build up this hysterical narrative that you liberals seem too willing to believe?

I’ve literally never met any inbred who thinks Dems eat babies. I think all five of them have gone back to their cave.
Have you ever realized that the “mainstream media” - truly a contradiction in terms - found five weirdos and pounced on them to build up this hysterical narrative that you liberals seem too willing to believe?
And yet, someone went in and shot up a pizza parlor because he thought Hillary Clinton was running a child trafficking ring. The problem is, 5 weirdos now have a soap box that reaches millions and a few of those millions will believe it. Why do you have an issue if there is an independent group that just points out if statements are BS or not?

I mean, I'm with you when it comes to a government group banning speech outright, but just saying something isn't true? The only people upset by this are the ones that rely on BS to motivate people. Seriously, I think you have a much stronger debate line about how necessary this is rather than going into the hyperbolic "the government is creating thought police!!!!" over-reaction coming from the right. There are no fewer than 3 private and independent fact-checking groups that are widely available to the public right now. A true conservative would be pointing that fact out, not jumping on the over-reaction band wagon of Orwellian hysterics.

I usually have you on ignore (for several reasons, but apparently you’ve not returned the favor).
Calm down - please - before you ratchet up your emotional and ill-considered screaming at individuals from that corner of the room where you are hunched in a hysterical 😩 heap with a box of Kleenex.
Thank you.
I kept thinking your next sentence would be “of course I don’t believe the big lie and I’m ashamed of those in my party who push it.”

Needless to say I was left wanting.

I’d prefer to have pilots in the cockpit than slack jawed yokels. Please tell me you understand why.
I get your point but if you have basically everyone coming from the same pool, mixing with basically the same crowd (economic status) you get what we have now. A lopsided system that favors the haves and throws crumbs to the have nots to keep them quiet.

We favor the “haves” no matter who is in control….been that way basically forever.

The median net worth in Congress in 2012 was over 1M. I imagine it’s higher 10 years later.

I think a lot of folks enter Congress with good intentions but over time the lure of “honest graft” and mixing with the lobbyists and 1% folks does them in.

Don’t know the answer….perhaps term limits?

https://ballotpedia.org/Net_worth_of_United_States_Senators_and_Representatives

To be honest, I have never heard of her. Any examples of her disinformation?

If what you say is correct, I tend to agree with you. This country does need though some sort of 'truth commission' to identify the full-on BS that some people consume.
No one needs a truth commission. Remember all the dems disinformation? Hunters laptop, Russia collusion, any face covering will work, I don't need any of these clowns telling me what isn't true.

What is the RW so scared of, the truth?

I can see that. They have not been associated with it for quite a while and have trouble recognizing it, it would seem scary to some.

Ts and Ps.
Read and re-read the book 1984. This should scare everyone.

To be honest, I have never heard of her. Any examples of her disinformation?

If what you say is correct, I tend to agree with you. This country does need though some sort of 'truth commission' to identify the full-on BS that some people consume.
It cannot be the role of government to be a "Truth Commission" or Ministry of Truth. If there is ever one thing every American should agree on it is not letting the government decide what is truth vs. disinformation.

ADVERTISEMENT