ADVERTISEMENT

Biden could declare climate emergency as soon as this week, sources say

I've been calling for this for a while.

I've also been saying he should wait until after the midterms. But I may have been wrong about that.

While Dems will be attacked if Biden does this, at least they will be attacked on a genuinely important issue and not on woke this and defund that. Rs are killing them on those issues, even when the Ds are right. And they are trivial issues.

This is arguably the most serious issue facing America and the world. And while a couple others are also important (war, pandemic, inflation), this one is always a top concern while others come and go.

Bottom line: if you are going to lose, at least go down swinging for the fences.
If you would, for clarification, is there a particular national emergency authority that you are suggesting that he invoke, or are you just suggesting he should declare an emergency because it gets people's attention?

If you would, for clarification, is there a particular national emergency authority that you are suggesting that he invoke, or are you just suggesting he should declare an emergency because it gets people's attention?
According to the Brennan Center, there have been 58 national emergencies called by presidents since 1979. Thirty-one of those national emergencies are still in effect.

• Wow
Reactions: EasyHawk

Triple La Nina going on now, which means draught in the southern part of the US.

Significant changes in behaviors would be needed, nuclear and more green is needed.
More work from home to limit traffic to and from work, tax credits for incentives.

Climate will continue to warm, will need to adjust regardless of an executive order

Reactions: billanole
Manchin AND THE ENTIRE REPUBLICAN PARTY won't let them pay for it.

You'll blame Biden, amirite?
I might be remembering wrong, but didn't Manchin say he is open to a few dollars towards climate once he sees July inflation numbers and if those are heading in the right direction? I think he was working with the others on some health care items. Seems like they are getting closer to a reasonable plan, slowly but surely.

According to the Brennan Center, there have been 58 national emergencies called by presidents since 1979. Thirty-one of those national emergencies are still in effect.
yeah, that's always been a little comedic how, outside of natural disasters, those authorities have been historically abused. I believe we had been operating under the Korean War emergency for something like 30 years until the NEA was passed.

There are about 140 or so emergency powers authorizations that a president may invoke. They're quite specific as to how it gets declared, and more importantly, what he's actually authorized to do in light of the emergency. Took a quick scroll through a BC publication, and didn't see any general grants to do things relating to environmental regulation, other than one thing that actually makes it easier to pollute if a governor asks you to let them.

What's the emergency? Did I miss a news story? Did the sun explode?

always been a little comedic how, outside of natural disasters, those authorities have been historically abused.
I agree. But every sane person should recognize that climate change is, in fact, an emergency. If some of those previous situations can be called "emergencies" we might want revisit our terminology to better accommodate "real" emergencies.

Either way, climate change is an easy fit.

We are in great jeopardy of moving past a point of no return that will make the earth uninhabitable. Even if we act now, climate change will be devastating to all life on earth, including humans.
Sounds like Chicken Little. Color me a non believer. I believe this is a leftist scheme to control the people and direct resources to dem donors.

Remember global warming? It wasn't convincing enough people so now we have climate change. For all possible weather events. Too wet, climate change, too dry climate change, too hot climate change, too cold? Get it.

It would be cool if he did pull the emergency switch if the robot from Lost in Space would go on all televisions blaring “Danger, Will Robinson!!”

• Haha
Reactions: doughuddl2
Nope. We aren't facing an emergency of the kind that we can do anything about without destroying what we already have. I'm old enough to remember the warnings from the 70's and 80's about what was going to happen in the 90's. The opposite happened. We can and should do what we can but if we destroy our economy, those efforts will fall short very quickly.

Do you know how much CO2 is emitted in shipping a tanker of oil to the US? If there's such an emergency, why not produce more in the US instead of importing it? If there's such an emergency, why weren't rules suspended to not allow the auctioning of strategic oils reserves that were going to be exported? If there's such an emergency, why are US refineries being made to produce more ethanol, which is less efficient than non-ethanol?

The only reason an emergency is being declared is exactly what the Administration is saying, and that's because Congress isn't doing anything. Congress is all caught up in January 6th hearings, creating legislation to ultimately enrich its members, and finding more ways to create deficit spending special interest earmarks.
Today the link between fossil fuels and manmade climate change is unmistakable, and that was a top arguement against climate change that began back in the 60s. Fifty years of denial is killing us today and apparently there's still no emergency.

Dear lord,

If you let Joe do it like this…….

200.gif

I might listen if Biden, Pelosi and the rest of the gang downsize and move to 1 or 2 bedroom apartments, fly commercial with the rest of us, drive only electric cars, etc., etc.

Until then, IDGAF.

Nuclear and LP are both "green" by EU standards now. Its all bullshit.b
I guess LP, liquified propane, is because a lot of it is made from renewables, similar to biodiesels:

Renewable propane (also known as biopropane) is a non-fossil fuel that is produced from 100% renewable raw materials. It's commonly produced from inexpensive and abundant feedstock like animal fat, algae and cooking oil. Renewable propane has the same chemical structure and physical properties as conventional propane.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Don’t mind me guys, I’ll just be here in the corner fapping as renewable energy gets further subsidized by the government. Time to get ya solar boys! It’s free money babay!!!!

Reactions: BrunoMars420
Global warming IS an existential threat.

You think the O/U is the important thing.
Can you tell me why all the banks are still lending to build all this housing on the coast lines? All the while not putting anything into the risk they could lose it all because of this so called warming? Why did Obama buy a mansion right on the coast?

Can you tell me in the history of the earth, are we in a colder part of the earth's temp or warmer?

You probably should read this article to enlighten yourself just a bit more.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tfxchawk
Every time I see this kind of post from you I am reminded you are a gym teacher and I laugh and laugh and laugh

Thank you

Make fun of his stance but don't rag on gym teachers. Yeah there is the stereotype but most aren't that way. The fact that he's on this message board defending claims should prove that.

We are in great jeopardy of moving past a point of no return that will make the earth uninhabitable. Even if we act now, climate change will be devastating to all life on earth, including humans.
1. If China isn't on board nothing we do is going to matter.

2. I think you are vastly underestimating humans ability to adapt.

3. Are we stopping all human progress in the areas of industry, technology, agriculture, medicine and innovation in the name of climate? If we stop all of this because of climate the amount of human suffering especially in poor countries will be worse than any war, pandemic or climate crisis.

Reactions: BrunoMars420
Call me when costal elitists Democrats in the Hamptons, Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket, Malibu and San Francisco start selling their oceanfront properties because of climate.

I agree. But every sane person should recognize that climate change is, in fact, an emergency. If some of those previous situations can be called "emergencies" we might want revisit our terminology to better accommodate "real" emergencies.

Either way, climate change is an easy fit.
Oh I am perfectly willing to accept that climate change might be invoked as something akin to an “urgency” at the least, particularly compared up other historical events.

Sounds like Chicken Little. Color me a non believer. I believe this is a leftist scheme to control the people and direct resources to dem donors.

Remember global warming? It wasn't convincing enough people so now we have climate change. For all possible weather events. Too wet, climate change, too dry climate change, too hot climate change, too cold? Get it.
You do realize global warming is responsible for climate change right?
You’re in way over your head here I’m afraid. It is noticeably affecting weather patterns across the globe and altering the jet stream .
Try and follow this K? It was hotter today in the UK than ever before in recorded history.
You better sit this one out if you don’t know the science behind what climate change does on a global scale

Make fun of his stance but don't rag on gym teachers. Yeah there is the stereotype but most aren't that way. The fact that he's on this message board defending claims should prove that.
Prove what? Have you read his posts? He is not very bright.

You do realize global warming is responsible for climate change right?
You’re in way over your head here I’m afraid. It is noticeably affecting weather patterns across the globe and altering the jet stream .
Try and follow this K? It was hotter today in the UK than ever before in recorded history.
You better sit this one out if you don’t know the science behind what climate change does on a global scale
I'll follow the "climate science" when the political party that is pushing it isn't the same one that tries to convince the world that men can have babies and full term babies are just a glump of cells.

Are you seriously white knighting gym teachers?

ADVERTISEMENT