ADVERTISEMENT

Biden owns up to today's comments

So we’re not allowed to compare how a presidential candidate compares to the current president? Seems odd.

You can but the topic is Biden and his most recent speaking blunder. Ignoring his issue doesn’t make it go away.

Try it out at work. See how that goes for you. Say it in front of one of your black co-workers and the HR lady.
This statement? You've got to be freaking kidding me. People have made worse comments and then either apologized or otherwise fixed their misstatement without being fired. This is just grasping at something to try to make Trump look better. It doesn't.

Again, people burying their head in the sand because they don’t like the truth of the topic.
What truth? The truth of what Biden originally said? No - he clarified what he meant. He misspoke and has a tendency to do that. He also acknowledges his mistakes and takes steps to correct them. He's far from perfect but in dealing with issues like this he does fine. It would be great if he never misspoke but that's not the case. I mean, it's not like GW Bush didn't step on his tongue often. But like Biden, he owned the mistakes instead of denying them or blaming others. Unfortunately we're at a place with Trump where that behavior of basic decency is a big step forward.

I don't know why we're discussing this. Trump obliterated the lines of sensical communication and until his base and fellow republicans hold him accountable you can STFU about Biden.

What truth?

This was answered earlier. The continuing number of Biden gaffes. It seems every time Biden steps out of his one man nursing home he steps on his tongue. Biden’s mental state is a legitimate story.

What truth? The truth of what Biden originally said? No - he clarified what he meant. He misspoke and has a tendency to do that. He also acknowledges his mistakes and takes steps to correct them. He's far from perfect but in dealing with issues like this he does fine. It would be great if he never misspoke but that's not the case. I mean, it's not like GW Bush didn't step on his tongue often. But like Biden, he owned the mistakes instead of denying them or blaming others. Unfortunately we're at a place with Trump where that behavior of basic decency is a big step forward.
No, he didn't. Nothing about his later statement clarified his earlier statement. It completely contradicted it. He didn't acknowledge that he said something stupid, he just said the opposite and hoped people would forget his earlier comment. That's not owning a mistake. That's pretending it didn't happen.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
This was answered earlier. The continuing number of Biden gaffes. It seems every time Biden steps out of his one man nursing home he steps on his tongue. Biden’s mental state is a legitimate story.
That's fine but Trump has had far more incidents and I don't see you calling for his mental state to be further examined. Given what we have seen from him it could warrant invoking the 25th Amendment. Is that a "story" you're also calling for to be consistent?

I don't know about old style. But he probably has racist leanings. He's still lightyears better than KKKTrump.
If by "old style racist" you merely mean he was raised in a racist era and probably still has some racist reflexes that will create awkward moments, you are probably right.

But if you mean he allows racist values to guide his policies, I'd like to think he's a few decades past that. He not only knows better, he wants to do better.

Contrast that with Trump and much of the GOP. Some in the GOP know better, but almost none of them try to do better.

Biden isn't Bernie, but he's closer to Bernie than to Trump.

This statement? You've got to be freaking kidding me. People have made worse comments and then either apologized or otherwise fixed their misstatement without being fired. This is just grasping at something to try to make Trump look better. It doesn't.

I am voting for Biden.

This was not a ‘misstatement’.

He very clearly made a comment about the black community. When told how awful it was, he made another comment that was the complete opposite of the first.

No, he didn't. Nothing about his later statement clarified his earlier statement. It completely contradicted it. He didn't acknowledge that he said something stupid, he just said the opposite and hoped people would forget his earlier comment. That's not owning a mistake. That's pretending it didn't happen.
He clarified what he meant. Doing so acknowledges that his original statement was not what he intended.

There's a few of you who are grasping at straws trying to make this into a big deal. It's not.

That's fine but Trump has had far more incidents and I don't see you calling for his mental state to be further examined.

I’m participating in a topic on Biden statements. I understand the truth pointing out and questioning Biden’s cognitive skills is uncomfortable but they are real. I know Biden will be elected this fall. But that does not make his issues disappear or become a non-topic.

I am voting for Biden.

This was not a ‘misstatement’.

He very clearly made a comment about the black community. When told how awful it was, he made another comment that was the complete opposite of the first.
Then what was it if it wasn't a misstatement? Why wolud he change he even offer a clarification or change his message if it wasn't a misstatement?

It was a gaffe. Not on the level of "you ain't black" but a gaffe nevertheless. He corrected it. Yawn.

I’m participating in a topic on Biden statements. I understand the truth pointing out and questioning Biden’s cognitive skills is uncomfortable but they are real. I know Biden will be elected this fall. But that does not make his issues disappear or become a non-topic.
And you're being asked about how those cognitive skills compare to his political opponent.

I know why you don't want to address that part of the "story" but it's worth pointing out the hypocrisy.

Any one else tired of The Republican Creed:

“That didn't happen.
And if it did, it wasn't that bad.
And if it was, that's not a big deal.
And if it is, that's not my fault.
And if it was, I didn't mean it.
And if I did...
You deserved it.”

I’m glad Biden addresses it head on.

Except that is exactly what these tweets are. I see no apology.

Except he did the opposite of address it head on. He just denied what he said and hoped you’d overlook it. And you did.

He didn't deny he said it, he said he didn't mean it like that. Is it an apology? No . . . It's a clarification. Although I do find lacking in his clarification is what he was intending to communicate. He said what he didn't mean. . . He didn't say what he DID mean.

Reactions: RileyHawk
Exactly. When Trump says or tweets something stupid, you know that he came up with it himself. What Biden just put out is 100% opposed to his earlier comments. He did not come up with that by himself. That's why I said he is a puppet.

By that definition, 90% of politicians are puppets. Every politician has a communications staff to help write their speeches, determine the best ways to express talking points, etc.

Trump is a buffoon. No sane speechwriter would write the words that vomit from his mouth. I dislike hypocrisy whenever I see it. You seem to think that by me criticizing Biden, I must be a Trump supporter. I'm not. But this is not about Donald Trump. This is about Joe Biden saying something racist then pretending that he didn't say it. His "clarification" did not address his earlier comments in any way, they just contradicted them. So which is it for Joe? Does the African American community, unlike the Latino community, lack diversity or has he witnessed diversity in thought, background, and sentiment within the African American community? Which time was he lying because the two statements he made cannot both be true.

The difference though between Teleprompter Trump and Campaign Rally Trump are incredibly stark and he looks/sounds like two different people when it happens. The best public speakers are able to blend those so effectively that you can't tell the difference. And no, Biden is not one who can blend those two really well, which is often the cause of his gaffes.

Bottomline - Biden screwed up with the initial comment. Then he came out with a statement meant to correct/clarify that first comment. Accept it or not as you choose.

Meanwhile, also yesterday - Trump said Biden wants to kill God. We should mention for context that Biden is a devout Catholic while Trump uses Bibles for photo ops.

And you're being asked about how those cognitive skills compare to his political opponent.

I know why you don't want to address that part of the "story" but it's worth pointing out the hypocrisy.

I’m assuming the comparison is irrelevant because Trump is irrelevant. I pointed that out earlier. Avoiding and distracting from the topic/issue is burying ones head in the sand over blind partisanship.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
Then what was it if it wasn't a misstatement? Why wolud he change he even offer a clarification or change his message if it wasn't a misstatement?

It was a gaffe. Not on the level of "you ain't black" but a gaffe nevertheless. He corrected it. Yawn.

It was his honest opinion. The only problem not was at best offensive to the black community, at worst racist.

So OF COURSE he’s going to ‘change his message’. It could cost him votes.

I do agree it’s not that big a deal, and the major news orgs will just pretend he didn’t say anything at all, so it’s harmless.

File this one under the ‘oh that’s just Joe being Joe’ excuse.

I’m assuming the comparison is irrelevant because Trump is irrelevant. I pointed that out earlier. Avoiding and distracting from the topic/issue is burying ones head in the sand over blind partisanship.
Lol - how ironic that you say that. Lol.

It was his honest opinion. The only problem not was at best offensive to the black community, at worst racist.

I do agree it’s not that big a deal, and the major news orgs will just pretend he didn’t say anything at all, so it’s harmless.

This is being reported. . . we're talking about it. It's hardly a secret.

In the end the vast majority of black people at the polls are going to vote for Joe Biden in November.

I am for the record still of the belief that Joe can get 90% support from the African American community this fall. Biden has said some dumb-ass things, but play some of Trump's greatest hits and it's still no contest.

Well, what he was saying is that the Latin communities come from a variety of countries with different ideals. The African American community is more united in their views, in general, with noted exceptions. He didn't say what those exceptions are. He said it in a way that didn't express his opinion clearly so it's a misstatement in that sense.

Just please let this guy get on a debate stage with trump. There is no amount of back peddling in the world that will recover from the ass whopping he would receive if the questions were not decked up for him.

So Trump is held to 0 standards, ever and Biden is nit picked to death by people who support a guy who lies, cheats and held to 0 standard. The same people who attack MSM when they make mistakes and then make corrections etc are those who consume Faux and Breitbart and OAN held to 0 standards. Lolololol

It could be argued that what you’re doing is also “burying your head in the sand”.

There’s plenty of argument factories out there so take your pick. Anything can be rationalized but nothing motivates like whataboutery.

So Trump is held to 0 standards, ever and Biden is nit picked to death by people who support a guy who lies, cheats and held to 0 standard. The same people who attack MSM when they make mistakes and then make corrections etc are those who consume Faux and Breitbart and OAN held to 0 standards. Lolololol

Yep, cons have currently surpassed the "free speech if we agree" liberals in the way of rank hypocrisy. The problem is most cons are pretty bad at self-awareness (not that libs are great) and ironically shape most of their realities off their feelings. That's a bad combination--hence the almost unequivocal support and capricious defenses of Donald Trump and his "it's so unfair" feelings.

ADVERTISEMENT