ADVERTISEMENT

Biden passed that torch slowly, hanging on until the wheels finally came off

binsfeldcyhawk2

HB Legend
Gold Member
Oct 13, 2006
WASHINGTON (AP) — As the formulaic “pass the torch” drumbeat thumped on from lawmakers wanting him to quit the race, President Joe Biden maintained a brave face. Publicly, he vowed he was all in, until the day he got out.

But there were telling indications he was listening to that beat long before he ended his campaign for reelection. One sign was over a week ago, when Chuck Schumer visited his Delaware beach house as an emissary of gloom.

The Senate majority leader had spoken with Barack Obama, Nancy Pelosi and the House Democratic leader, Hakeem Jeffries, a few days earlier. He had heard from nearly every Democratic senator, pinging him over the last three weeks on his old-school flip phone.

He wasn’t speaking for all of them, but for many.

Think about what’s bound to happen to Democrats in Congress, Schumer implored the president. Think about the generations-long impact of a Supreme Court with Donald Trump in the White House. Think about your legacy.

“I need a week,” Biden said. The two men hugged.

That scene and those words were described by someone familiar with the conversation, who would only detail it on condition of anonymity. Other firsthand observers of Biden’s struggle to stay viable also described a privately contemplative president during his days of decision.

Some spoke on the record; others anonymously. Together, their accounts show a president who was determined to exhaust every avenue to keep his hopes alive, but ultimately not in denial about the prospects.

By the weekend, if not sooner, the gravity of it all reached a critical mass — the terrible polls, the precipitous drop in big-money donations, the sad voices of those he most respected and had worked with for decades.

One insider said Biden “began to come to a decision on Saturday evening,” in the company of four close advisers. Things moved quickly Sunday. Biden gave South Carolina Rep. Jim Clyburn early word he would be stepping aside, in what the congressman called a “very pleasant conversation.” He did not speak with Pelosi at the time.

In a hooded Howard University sweatshirt, workout sweats and sneakers, Vice President Kamala Harris held several conversations with Biden and as the day wore on, spent over 10 hours on the phone with more than 100 politicians and some activists. She knew she would get the huge boost of Biden’s endorsement, yet needed to be seen as earning the nomination in her own right.

At 1:45 p.m., after separate calls to Harris, chief of staff Jeff Zients and campaign manager Jen O’Malley Dillon, he was connected on the phone with a small group of other advisers.

One minute later, with the release of his letter on X, the world knew.

Democrats saw trouble from the first moment of the debate​

Democrats blanched in the first seconds of the June 27 debate with Trump. Low energy, hoarse, sometimes inaudible, Biden did not meet the moment as more than 50 million people watched.

He spoke of “making sure that we’re able to make every single solitary person eligible for what I’ve been able to do with the COVID. Excuse me ... we finally beat Medicare.” It emerged later that he meant to claim that he had beaten the pharmaceutical industry, but many such points were lost in the fog.

Some outliers were already left thinking the unthinkable — Biden had to go. But it was still possible for many to believe Biden merely had a “bad night,” but only if he still could have the benefit of the doubt.

More fumbles over the following days all fed into the public’s suspicion, simmering over several years, that Biden was not fit for another term. The loyalist insiders kept insisting Biden was on his game. The vast nation of non-political outsiders saw through the pretense.

But as questions about Biden’s acuity rolled into the first weekend after the debate, most lawmakers’ phones — including those of the top rungs of congressional leadership — remained silent from the one person who could quell the unease: the president himself.

Even midway through the next week, Biden had not spoken with leading lawmakers, spreading frustration and panic through party ranks as many tried to relax at home and prepare for Independence Day celebrations.

And if Kamala is behind in the polls a couple of weeks from now, she'll be forced out and another candidate put in her place.

Kamala was damn near my last choice of major players, but it has to be Kamala at this point. She has the donors, the campaign infrastructure and the party support. I honestly believe if he dropped out the weekend after the debate (as he should have) we could have had another candidate. Part of me thinks the timing was always in the back of his mind. He basically executed the perfect timing for it to be only Kamala and still give her a fighting chance.

Kamala was damn near my last choice of major players, but it has to be Kamala at this point. She has the donors, the campaign infrastructure and the party support. I honestly believe if he dropped out the weekend after the debate (as he should have) we could have had another candidate. Part of me thinks the timing was always in the back of his mind. He basically executed the perfect timing for it to be only Kamala and still give her a fighting chance.
Maybe. It’s also really REALLY hard to admit to yourself that the person you always believed you are, you aren’t anymore; especially when you’re at the top of the political world.

It literally took a month of a steady parade of people telling him the hard truth before he could accept it.

Maybe. It’s also really REALLY hard to admit to yourself that the person you always believed you are, you aren’t anymore; especially when you’re at the top of the political world.

It literally took a month of a steady parade of people telling him the hard truth before he could accept it.
I don’t disagree, I only wonder if he thought “if I drop out, when is the best time”. I suspect he was waffling back and forth for a few weeks as many people would who wrestle with a tough decision.

There's a lot of truth to that.

Pre-debate he was the best thing since sliced bread. Changed on a dime.

Took a while for that to sink in.

Reactions: hawkeyetraveler
There's a lot of truth to that.

Pre-debate he was the best thing since sliced bread. Changed on a dime.

Took a while for that to sink in.
In all honesty, I’d thought going into that debate that yes, Biden didn’t have his fastball, but he could still bring it together when he needed to - never wanted him to run for a 2nd term, but compared to the alternative…

That debate changed EVERYTHING, probably the most consequential debate since Nixon/kennedy. It made crystal clear that at best he’d declined rapidly since the SOTU. Ironically, the timing of the debate might save his legacy.

That debate changed EVERYTHING, probably the most consequential debate since Nixon/kennedy. It made crystal clear that at best he’d declined rapidly since the SOTU. Ironically, the timing of the debate might save his legacy.
Never been anything like it...it's in it's own category.

Everything changed immediately afterwards.

It'll be interesting to find out who exactly pushed the idea of a June debate as a "good idea" for the Biden campaign.

If they had stuck to the traditional October timeframe Joe would still be running.

Whoever it was is a political genius and perhaps heroic. Kamala may lose, but that schedule may have saved the election for the Dems.
That's what I think as well.

Someone in the campaign saw the train wreck coming and wanted to expedite it to give the D's time to change course.

If they hadn't done that...we'd still be in "cheap fake", gas lighting mode.

WASHINGTON (AP) — As the formulaic “pass the torch” drumbeat thumped on from lawmakers wanting him to quit the race, President Joe Biden maintained a brave face. Publicly, he vowed he was all in, until the day he got out.

But there were telling indications he was listening to that beat long before he ended his campaign for reelection. One sign was over a week ago, when Chuck Schumer visited his Delaware beach house as an emissary of gloom.

The Senate majority leader had spoken with Barack Obama, Nancy Pelosi and the House Democratic leader, Hakeem Jeffries, a few days earlier. He had heard from nearly every Democratic senator, pinging him over the last three weeks on his old-school flip phone.

He wasn’t speaking for all of them, but for many.

Think about what’s bound to happen to Democrats in Congress, Schumer implored the president. Think about the generations-long impact of a Supreme Court with Donald Trump in the White House. Think about your legacy.

“I need a week,” Biden said. The two men hugged.

That scene and those words were described by someone familiar with the conversation, who would only detail it on condition of anonymity. Other firsthand observers of Biden’s struggle to stay viable also described a privately contemplative president during his days of decision.

Some spoke on the record; others anonymously. Together, their accounts show a president who was determined to exhaust every avenue to keep his hopes alive, but ultimately not in denial about the prospects.

By the weekend, if not sooner, the gravity of it all reached a critical mass — the terrible polls, the precipitous drop in big-money donations, the sad voices of those he most respected and had worked with for decades.

One insider said Biden “began to come to a decision on Saturday evening,” in the company of four close advisers. Things moved quickly Sunday. Biden gave South Carolina Rep. Jim Clyburn early word he would be stepping aside, in what the congressman called a “very pleasant conversation.” He did not speak with Pelosi at the time.

In a hooded Howard University sweatshirt, workout sweats and sneakers, Vice President Kamala Harris held several conversations with Biden and as the day wore on, spent over 10 hours on the phone with more than 100 politicians and some activists. She knew she would get the huge boost of Biden’s endorsement, yet needed to be seen as earning the nomination in her own right.

At 1:45 p.m., after separate calls to Harris, chief of staff Jeff Zients and campaign manager Jen O’Malley Dillon, he was connected on the phone with a small group of other advisers.

One minute later, with the release of his letter on X, the world knew.

Democrats saw trouble from the first moment of the debate​

Democrats blanched in the first seconds of the June 27 debate with Trump. Low energy, hoarse, sometimes inaudible, Biden did not meet the moment as more than 50 million people watched.

He spoke of “making sure that we’re able to make every single solitary person eligible for what I’ve been able to do with the COVID. Excuse me ... we finally beat Medicare.” It emerged later that he meant to claim that he had beaten the pharmaceutical industry, but many such points were lost in the fog.

Some outliers were already left thinking the unthinkable — Biden had to go. But it was still possible for many to believe Biden merely had a “bad night,” but only if he still could have the benefit of the doubt.

More fumbles over the following days all fed into the public’s suspicion, simmering over several years, that Biden was not fit for another term. The loyalist insiders kept insisting Biden was on his game. The vast nation of non-political outsiders saw through the pretense.

But as questions about Biden’s acuity rolled into the first weekend after the debate, most lawmakers’ phones — including those of the top rungs of congressional leadership — remained silent from the one person who could quell the unease: the president himself.

Even midway through the next week, Biden had not spoken with leading lawmakers, spreading frustration and panic through party ranks as many tried to relax at home and prepare for Independence Day celebrations.

Does anyone really believe this BS? It is pretty clear he was hanging on so that the party could assess options legally and choose a path before the geezer went into hospice.

Kamala or bust for the left

Reactions: Scruddy
I am quite unconvinced of thoughtful, contemplative, determined yet eventually pragmatic Biden described in this piece.

I expect the real story is a lot of tense back and forth battling and horse trading between big time Democratic players/donors, and Hunter/Jill.

I think the hope in general had been that they could get Biden over the finish line, then he could step down for Kamala who could finish his term, rehabilitate herself and run as an independent. To me, that was clearly the Democrat's best way out of this, at least in the last 12 months or so.

I don't think they would have debated, or even campaigned really, if his numbers vs Trump hadn't been so weak already.

Democrats really, really think he has been an awesome president, and just haven't come to terms with the fact that the general public just doesn't buy it. His approval ratings two years ago made it clear he was pretty much unelectable, but they were counting on a Trump matchup to pull him through. With even convicted Trump polling strongly against Biden, the debate became more of a necessity.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT