ADVERTISEMENT

Biden pulls the plug on Iowa Democrats’ flawed caucuses

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Todd Dorman
Dec. 6, 2022 6:00 am, Updated: Dec. 6, 2022 3:03 pm

Well, Iowa Democrats, it was a good run. But the obvious flaws in your first-in-the-nation caucuses were bound to catch up to you sooner or later.

In my years covering Iowa politics, I’ve seen the national media narrative about the Democratic caucuses transformed from admiration for Iowa’s quirky, quaint process to universal derision for a contest that throws up barriers to participation. Iowa went from being a purple swing state to a deep red Republican dominated bastion. Iowa has become more diverse, but still is far whiter and older than the nation as a whole and certainly the Democratic Party coalition.

And then Joe Biden became president. Of course he was the one to pull the plug.

Advertisement

In 1987, Biden gave closing remarks at an Iowa debate that plagiarized British Labor Party leader Neil Kinnock, which led to the disclosure of other instances of lifted passages without attribution. He dropped out of the race.

In 2008, Biden finished a distant fifth. In 2020, he finished fourth. A few weeks later the South Carolina primary saved his campaign. So naturally the new calendar pushed by Biden leads off with South Carolina, followed by Nevada, New Hampshire, Georgia and Michigan. Instead of very white Iowa, Black Democrats in South Carolina will take center stage.

So Joe appears to be preparing for a re-election run. And he won’t have to worry about getting shucked over in the Tall Corn State for a fourth time.

That’s the politics. But the Democratic caucuses’ fatal flaws are what made it easy for the Biden dump.

There is truth in the argument that the Democratic caucuses are undemocratic. The process required Iowans to gather for political meetings, leaving out people who couldn’t make it, for whatever reason. If you went, you had to openly show your support for a candidate in public, instead of voting by secret ballot. There's the complicated math that turned presidential preferences into state delegate equivalents.

Caucuses became overcrowded in urban areas, complicating the process even more. There was confusion and even coin flips. Then came the spinning butt fall in 2020. Who won anyway?

Iowa Democrats did announce some positive reforms, creating a system of mail-in voting to broaden participation. But it was too late. Reforms should have come years ago.

All this said, Iowa law still mandates that Iowa’s caucuses be scheduled before any other nominating contest. So Iowa Democrats still seem determined to go first. But the Democratic National Committee will surely punish any candidates who choose to campaign here in defiance of the official calendar. If Iowa Democrats hold caucuses and no one flips a pork chop, will they make a sound?

With Biden likely running again, the caucuses may have been dull anyway. The calendar might change again in four years. But having done the deed of finally dumping Iowa, it’s doubtful the party will look back.

I haven’t been a staunch defender of the Democratic caucuses. I’ve enjoyed covering the circus, but its flaws are obvious. The national Democratic Party is correct in its preference for primaries. Change was going to come.

But as an Iowan, I can’t help but feel a sense of loss. Iowans had a front-row seat to history being made, and made some of their own. Young Iowa activists worked on presidential campaigns and many were catapulted into careers in politics and public service.

On the plus side, a Democratic presidential candidate will not hamper us as we’re just trying to get some ranch.

(319) 398-8262; todd.dorman@thegazette.com

The Iowa Democratic Party only needs to look in the mirror if they want anyone to blame.

And because of their incompetence, I'm stuck in Mississippi North to the day I die.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT