ADVERTISEMENT

Biden shut down Wuhan Lab investigation this Spring

"US intelligence agencies continue to examine the question of whether the virus emerged naturally from human contact with infected animals or if it could have been the result of a laboratory accident."

Jen Psaki said we (Biden, et al.) are leaving this investigation up to the WHO.

This China ass-kissing is getting out of control.
Thank god ,the WHO will do a honest and thorough investigation and be transparent in their finding

note:sarcasm

Reactions: HotelAlphaWilcoKilo
But that’s not what they did. They shut it down because they claimed there was no evidence...despite what seems to be overwhelming evidence.

There appears to be some evidence yes, but I’d not go so far as overwhelming yet though. We also don’t know what rabbit holes this investigation had gone down already.

Reactions: Finance85
There appears to be some evidence yes, but I’d not go so far as overwhelming yet though. We also don’t know what rabbit holes this investigation had gone down already.
Right. The evidence in support of a lab leak is mainly lack of evidence supporting zoonotic transfer, and the (lack of) finding the virus in host animals in the region.

Was shutting down that internal investigation that was corrupted from the start the right thing to do? Absolutely. Is ceding it over to Who which is controlled by China the right thing to do? No.

However Biden also knows that if they ever did find that it was done by China and that became public knowledge then it's war and that's the last thing the world needs now. If we do find out China was behind it, then that needs to be handled very carefully or we could be in a world war again.

Was shutting down that internal investigation that was corrupted from the start the right thing to do? Absolutely. Is ceding it over to Who which is controlled by China the right thing to do? No.

However Biden also knows that if they ever did find that it was done by China and that became public knowledge then it's war and that's the last thing the world needs now. If we do find out China was behind it, then that needs to be handled very carefully or we could be in a world war again.

Not sure anyone is arguing it was released deliberately by China, or just that they’re trying to cover up the accidental release of it. Don’t think an accident would be enough to mean war.

Hopefully Biden is anticipating how to answer the inevitable questions if China is found to be responsible.
"What are you going to do about it"?

No
No he wasn’t. But good job being a loyal team Blue soldier.
Yes, yes he was. Only a fool would trust anything from the previous administration without a thorough review of exactly what it was doing and details on every aspect of it. It seems that's exactly what the Biden administration did and they found what the previous administration was doing was crap. But if you notice, not all of the Trump policies and initiatives have been stopped. Either they haven't gotten to them yet or they found that there was a solid basis for doing what they are doing. Biden's relative lack of change in policy towards Israel is the most notable example of that.

Reactions: RileyHawk
Biden has turned the investigation over to our intel agencies and asked for a report within 90 days. He's instructed our national labs to work with the intel agencies and is "encouraging" China to cooperate with international investigations (WHO).

Reactions: kc78
Not sure anyone is arguing it was released deliberately by China, or just that they’re trying to cover up the accidental release of it. Don’t think an accident would be enough to mean war.
There are certainly those saying China released it to see what it would do and then it grew out of their control... I don't believe that, but there are people saying so.

Either way, with the amount of economic damage and deaths that it has caused, if it is found to have been something from a lab then every country in the world is going to demand that China make them right and China's not going to do that. When people realize their economies tanked over this they're going to want blood. We've long wanted somebody to blame for this, China makes the perfect boogie man.

Reactions: Finance85
There are certainly those saying China released it to see what it would do and then it grew out of their control... I don't believe that, but there are people saying so.

Either way, with the amount of economic damage and deaths that it has caused, if it is found to have been something from a lab then every country in the world is going to demand that China make them right and China's not going to do that. When people realize their economies tanked over this they're going to want blood. We've long wanted somebody to blame for this, China makes the perfect boogie man.

And if people are solely out for someone to blame, we’ll never get to the bottom of it. It makes zero sense that China would deliberately release a deadly virus in a major city in their own country.

Any investigation needs to be about finding out what happened, not assigning blame.

Reactions: RileyHawk
And if people are solely out for someone to blame, we’ll never get to the bottom of it. It makes zero sense that China would deliberately release a deadly virus in a major city in their own country.

Any investigation needs to be about finding out what happened, not assigning blame.
I see your point, but assigning blame doesn't have to mean unrealistic repercussions. You know, like the court system - verdict, then a range of sentences.

I see your point, but assigning blame doesn't have to mean unrealistic repercussions. You know, like the court system - verdict, then a range of sentences.
And if this was just a stupid accident? A range of sentences can make sense to me if this was deliberate, but some dumb accident? How do you sanction a country for that?

And if this was just a stupid accident? A range of sentences can make sense to me if this was deliberate, but some dumb accident? How do you sanction a country for that?
Why does there have to be any sanction? We didn't do that for nuclear accidents in the Soviet union or Japan.

Why does there have to be any sanction? We didn't do that for nuclear accidents in the Soviet union or Japan.

I was referring to you talking about a range of sentences and KC talking about China as the boogie man as someone to blame. If people or countries want to blame China directly, they’re going to want a pound of flesh.

Senate is working on a bill to ban funding of Wuhan Lab. Does anyone here have a problem with that?
Why are we funding a lab in China that would make it necessary for us to shut down funding? What a clusterf**k.

Biden missed a great opportunity to bridge across parties. Continue the investigation and he controls the results. What didn't they like about the investigation? What it was uncovering? So let's turn it over to the WHO who we cannot trust?

Go right ahead. The campaign ads and debate talking points are writing themselves at this point.

Why are we funding a lab in China that would make it necessary for us to shut down funding? What a clusterf**k.

Biden missed a great opportunity to bridge across parties. Continue the investigation and he controls the results. What didn't they like about the investigation? What it was uncovering? So let's turn it over to the WHO who we cannot trust?

Go right ahead. The campaign ads and debate talking points are writing themselves at this point.

Well, for starters, everything we’ve heard about the State Department investigation was that it started from the conclusion that China was to blame and was working backwards from there.

This seems to be more about who was conducting the investigation.
This. But we can be glad that Biden is willing set his ego aside to do the right thing. Of course they're trying to save face by saying the old work was crap, but that's pretty transparent.

Hopefully Biden is anticipating how to answer the inevitable questions if China is found to be responsible.
"What are you going to do about it"?
Cancel all US debt held by China as reparations for all the money we spent on Covid. That would be a start. Just don't pay them. Encourage the rest of the world to do the same.

We don't have to declare military war, an economic war would do. Removing China from favored trade status. Just cut them off and set them in the corner to rot.

When it's proven China was at best complicit and at worst deliberate the entire world will want a piece of them.

Lol. Bullsh!t. Never miss an opportunity to bury your enemies. Now is the perfect time to hang this all on China and bury them.

Lol. Bullsh!t. Never miss an opportunity to bury your enemies. Now is the perfect time to hang this all on China and bury them.
So it doesn’t make a difference whether or not this was an accident or on purpose?

If an accident, we have a chance to look like the voice of reason and knock China down a peg on the world stage. If deliberate, by all means let’s bury them.

So it doesn’t make a difference whether or not this was an accident or on purpose?

If an accident, we have a chance to look like the voice of reason and knock China down a peg on the world stage. If deliberate, by all means let’s bury them.
Actually, in war it doesn't matter. Make no mistake we are in a war with China. You take every advantage you have.

I was referring to you talking about a range of sentences and KC talking about China as the boogie man as someone to blame. If people or countries want to blame China directly, they’re going to want a pound of flesh.
So even if China is to blame, accident or not, you don't want to assign the blame because you are afraid people will want a pound of flesh? Millions of people have died. If China is to blame, blame needs to be assigned. Maybe we need to evaluate why the US provided funding to the lab. Maybe the world comes together to develop a plan for any kind of accident that can kill people across borders. Mistakes happen. The response to mistakes is often as important as the mistake itself.

I may be wrong, but the notion of not assigning blame means not having to take responsibility.

So even if China is to blame, accident or not, you don't want to assign the blame because you are afraid people will want a pound of flesh? Millions of people have died. If China is to blame, blame needs to be assigned. Maybe we need to evaluate why the US provided funding to the lab. Maybe the world comes together to develop a plan for any kind of accident that can kill people across borders. Mistakes happen. The response to mistakes is often as important as the mistake itself.

I may be wrong, but the notion of not assigning blame means not having to take responsibility.
Oh I think if you find out that it happened then you use it as leverage in all types of negotiations, but you keep it quiet for now. Use it to get better trade deals, to get them to back down on some of their advancing claims, etc... Use it to control the scenario with the threat of going public if they don't play ball. I just really am worried that we could hit a third world war if we make it public that it was their fault. I don't trust human beings not to want their pound of flesh and statistically speaking we are long past due for another major war.

Not at all. It would depend on the circumstances though. We know that China did their best to hide the severity of the outbreak for instance. Had they been more open to begin with, maybe countries could have done more to slow or contain the initial wave and who knows where we are at in that scenario. If the outbreak happened because of a genuine accident, I’m perhaps more forgiving. If the outbreak happened due to negligent safety precautions and it was really a matter of time before something got out, then I think more punitive measures would be appropriate.

My concern at them moment is that there appears to be people right now who just want to blame China and want someone to be punished no matter what.

Not at all. It would depend on the circumstances though. We know that China did their best to hide the severity of the outbreak for instance. Had they been more open to begin with, maybe countries could have done more to slow or contain the initial wave and who knows where we are at in that scenario. If the outbreak happened because of a genuine accident, I’m perhaps more forgiving. If the outbreak happened due to negligent safety precautions and it was really a matter of time before something got out, then I think more punitive measures would be appropriate.

My concern at them moment is that there appears to be people right now who just want to blame China and want someone to be punished no matter what.
That's a good reply. I would add to my previous comment that, while I think blame needs to be assigned, that should only happen when there's a high degree of certainty. I try to be consistent that way.

Reactions: sober_teacher
Cancel all US debt held by China as reparations for all the money we spent on Covid. That would be a start. Just don't pay them. Encourage the rest of the world to do the same.

We don't have to declare military war, an economic war would do. Removing China from favored trade status. Just cut them off and set them in the corner to rot.

When it's proven China was at best complicit and at worst deliberate the entire world will want a piece of them.
There's too much co-dependency for that. Our economies are far too intertwined.

Reactions: sober_teacher
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT