ADVERTISEMENT

Big 10 Media Rights Deal announced....80-100m per school

IS that why they have cyclowns TV? I was able to watch EVERY Iowa wrestling meet. The only Clown meet I saw was when Iowa and ISU had a common opponent.

They don't have Cyclones.TV that I'm aware of, all Tier 3 content went to ESPN+, but to be honest I don't watch the Olympic sports so I wouldn't know.

What is your moniker over on clown fanatic? This is a regurgitation of what I have read over there. And equally not true. And yes I am following the realignment thread over there. It's interesting reading and exceptionally entertaining. The panic is palpable and there is some outrageous dung being flung over there.

I'm BryceC over there.

They don't have Cyclones.TV that I'm aware of, all Tier 3 content went to ESPN+, but to be honest I don't watch the Olympic sports so I wouldn't know.

I'm BryceC over there.
Of course, you don't watch Olympic sports, you can't. At least you have zero options of watching your clowns in Olympic sports. I bet you would if you could, but you can't so you don't.

Big 12 schools can't be happy today.

Eventually, advertisers will have to target where to spend $$$. They won't equally be spending in Big 12 country what they spend in B1G country. That will affect what the Big 12 can negotiate with media.

This really sux if you are an AD at Big 12 and Pac 12 schools.

Big 12 schools can't be happy today.

Eventually, advertisers will have to target where to spend $$$. They won't equally be spending in Big 12 country what they spend in B1G country. That will affect what the Big 12 can negotiate with media.

This really sux if you are an AD at Big 12 and Pac 12 schools.
The Next possible blow could be the BIG adding a conference game. Imagine Pollardini bitching about either dropping the series or playing in IC every year.

Wow, the big money out there now will completely transform the college football landscape. For teams in the B1G, it will be a good thing but for everyone else outside the B1G-SEC-Norte Dame, it is going to suck.

Reactions: MitchLL
Average payout is working out to roughly $72M a year over the contract. $59M or so in year 1.

B1G payouts will be a little more than SEC, but not by a lot. A few million a year (2 to 4?).

Having ISU lose P5 status is a win for Iowa, having 2 P5s in a small pop State has hurt Iowa and quite frankly besides basketball and wrestling ISU is embarrassing and Iowa should have pulled the pacifier long ago .
Not an ISU fan by any means but their track and cross country teams have been pretty good.

• Haha
Reactions: herkhatescy
feel bad for Clown U now and for their future!!! ;)

GeneralUnkemptHairstreak-max-1mb.gif

My bigger issue is as a conference that rakes in the cash...they have little to show for it as far as titles in the major sports. That needs to change.

My bigger issue is as a conference that rakes in the cash...they have little to show for it as far as titles in the major sports. That needs to change.
It’s like the NFL. You don’t have to win. When revenue sharing. You just got to keep people mostly watching.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
As someone else stated or predicted...I can see some of the $$$ being eventually steered to NIL and for the Big 2...that will be huge.

Many schools will be drowning in cash.

The Next possible blow could be the BIG adding a conference game. Imagine Pollardini bitching about either dropping the series or playing in IC every year.
I don't think the conferences will go for that before the CFP is expanded. You're taking a guaranteed OOC game victory for a possibly 50/50 game. With ND a likely team in the playoffs, you can't risk a second loss.

But I agree that a game against ISU does absolutely nothing for Iowa.

Reactions: kceasthawk
There’s only so much you can dump on the coaches and facilities with this money. The real game changer is when they figure out how to tie in NIL with all this money. They’ll figure out a way through a CBA to do so. Once the players are cut in, it’s game over for everyone not in a P2.
I don’t see it. Title IX, distribute equally to every single athlete on campus.

also at that point the common student might want a slice of the action.

shit, a paralegal could win that.

Last edited:
Of course, you don't watch Olympic sports, you can't. At least you have zero options of watching your clowns in Olympic sports. I bet you would if you could, but you can't so you don't.

What would I watch if I could that I don't now? ISU women's basketball is on ESPN+ almost every game and I watch a few of that. I watch football and basketball. After that my kids' sports, the Chiefs, and the NBA take all of my attention.

What would I watch if I could that I don't now? ISU women's basketball is on ESPN+ almost every game and I watch a few of that. I watch football and basketball. After that my kids' sports, the Chiefs, and the NBA take all of my attention.
Thanks for getting back with me. Again. Could you address my question regarding this thing called Tier 3? Being a Hawkeye fan I'm not familiar with it.

Innovative deal, leveraging the coast to coast reach of the conference and multiple media players. SEC still put a better football product on the field and its not close, but is of course more geographically concentrated, and they probably signed too long of a deal with ESPN/ABC. SEC should have had the foresight to anticipate future bargaining power given the explosive population growth in TX, FL, etc.

Thinking of future expansion, there is not a ton of incrementality for SEC looking at schools like Clemson, FSU and Miami. Possibly a defensive move to keep B1G out of the Southeast.

For the B1G, besides ND, I do think taking a look at a few ACC teams makes sense. Maybe UNC, FSU or Clemson?

Wouldn’t BTN be tier 2 and BTN+ be tier 3?

The way it was constructed previously, Tier 1 was the national OTA stuff, Tier 2 was the regional stuff (ESPN2 and the like) and tier 3 was the conference networks or streaming stuff. So for the ACC, it would be ESPN/ABC Tier 1, ESPN2/ESPNU/etc. Tier 2, and ACCN Tier 3.

For Big 12 schools, they controlled their Tier 3 rights. So for Texas, it was ESPN/ABC/FOX, ESPN2/U/etc, then Longhorn network. For ISU it was the same then Cyclones.tv. A year a two ago they signed over all tier 3 rights for ESPN+, and basically continued to produce the content. That said obviously Texas retained LHN and I think OU had a deal with Bally Sports so there must have been something else I don't totally understand.

IMO the tiers don't make as much sense anymore as conferences like the Big 10 are now spreading their games out over various networks and services but that's the terminology I was using.

It's not hard to find ISU games now - They are basically on ESPN networks with one game on ESPN+.

Sounds like that'll be the case with the mid-bottom Big Ten teams. I was wrong about that.

It's not good for ISU. How bad it is, I'm not sure yet.
BIG teams will not be on ESPN. That cord is being cut, and frankly its ESPN's loss without question....

I agree the terms are changing. Tier 3 used to be a bucket used for Raycom games/radio coverage/stadium signage/others. The Iowa Learfield contract is Tier 3. What used to be Tier 3 basketball and footall games are now on BTN.

The way it was constructed previously, Tier 1 was the national OTA stuff, Tier 2 was the regional stuff (ESPN2 and the like) and tier 3 was the conference networks or streaming stuff. So for the ACC, it would be ESPN/ABC Tier 1, ESPN2/ESPNU/etc. Tier 2, and ACCN Tier 3.

For Big 12 schools, they controlled their Tier 3 rights. So for Texas, it was ESPN/ABC/FOX, ESPN2/U/etc, then Longhorn network. For ISU it was the same then Cyclones.tv. A year a two ago they signed over all tier 3 rights for ESPN+, and basically continued to produce the content. That said obviously Texas retained LHN and I think OU had a deal with Bally Sports so there must have been something else I don't totally understand.

IMO the tiers don't make as much sense anymore as conferences like the Big 10 are now spreading their games out over various networks and services but that's the terminology I was using.
Well, that was a mouthful of drivel. You are talking out of your ass and making yourself look like what you are talking out of. Blah Blah. "the way it was constructed previously" You mean like way back in June of 2006 ( generation ago)? Good lord BTN isn't TIER 3 and you cannot simply spin it with a bunch of clown mumbo jumbo. You are regurgitating here the foolishness you are reading on clown fanatic, a place where everyone of those cornpones is suddenly a business media expert.

Last edited:
Reactions: iahawks10
ADVERTISEMENT