ADVERTISEMENT

Big 10 Media Rights Deal announced....80-100m per school

The downstream consequences of this media rights deal is yet to be understood. The Escalator clause that could be used to cover new additions to the conference has to affect the amount of money that the Big XII, PAC 10, and ACC can negotiate. Essentially the ACC has become shoulder programming for the SEC. The PAC 10 contract is about to expire and the Big XII has lost it two big names, those conferences are in a terrible place. It will be hard for the PAC 10 to stay together when it is obvious the Big Ten will expand further.

Does the addition of some PAC 10 teams to the Big XII create more value? It does, but it also means more mouths to feed. There is now a group of four conference rather than five even though it isn't formal. The ACC is not relevant in the context of trends. I don't see members of the Big XII getting more than $20M per year in the future.

Not only the Money but the Television exposure. Man I would not want to be a Clown right now. In a few years this is going to really have a huge impact. They are headed to oblivion. I mean dude, they will be the largest fan base in the Missouri Valley. I wonder how that sits with UNI fans.
Just means an annual matchup for second best team in Iowa.

The butthurt out there is thick today.
I think if you asked any Clone official or fan to objectively view this...they'd say this is devastating news for programs outside the B1G. SEC, and ND.

Maybe not before 2024, but thereafter.

And it also hurts schools like Drake and UNI because ISU won't be able to pay them enough to come play in Ames. They will be scheduling D-3 schools or NAIA.

The amount of people with ISU consistently on their mind is pretty embarrassing as well. For being a program that doesn't matter there sure are a lot of people that love to take the low ground with them.
Personally, I just enjoy kicking them when they're down.

Always have and always will.

But that comes from many years of living around bandwagon Clone fans and laughing at them claiming to be either a basketball school or a football school depending on the season.

TV exposure will be a problem for the other conferences, because the most important thing is getting on the main OTA channels. ABC is probably going to do a ton of SEC, and the Big 10 just locked up 3 different OTA channels. That's the big problem.

That said, TV exposure for the middle/bottom of the Big 10 is also going to be a major problem for those teams. It's those 3 big games each week, then if you're a team like Purdue or Indiana you're going to buried on BTN overflow channels or Peacock for 75% of your games.

There is now a group of four conference rather than five even though it isn't formal. The ACC is not relevant in the context of trends. I don't see members of the Big XII getting more than $20M per year in the future.

There are the Power 2, the Middle 3, and the Gang of 5.

Both the PAC and B12 are going to get OK deals that put them just behind ACC. Those three conferences still have much more TV value than the G5, so they'll have a lot of interest from ESPN/ESPN2 and FOX/FS1 for the 11am, 930pm, and other schedule-filling time slots. PAC or both will start playing more Friday night games.

Football is king. Expansion was all about football.

check out these #s:

Always was. It's why some of the complaining about basketball no longer being on ESPN just doesn't matter. I'm not sure how I feel about all of this, other than it appears to position Iowa to be in better shape in whatever future version of the expanded college football playoff comes to fruition. It's not as if this influx of $ is going to make Iowa recruit at the level of Michigan or OSU. I suppose it could make a difference if Iowa is competing for a player against a B12 team.

Reactions: Franisdaman
I'm a hawkeye fan so you are gonna have to explain to me what Tier 3 content means.
In the old world, it's games that are not picked up on over the air or cable channels/providers. For example, there have been some Iowa non-conference games in past years that were only on BTN+ (Streaming only option, not BTN). Those games are considered Tier 3 content.

The amount of people with ISU consistently on their mind is pretty embarrassing as well. For being a program that doesn't matter there sure are a lot of people that love to take the low ground with them.
I was more referencing guys like Finebaum on his show today, but, ok.

The downstream consequences of this media rights deal is yet to be understood. The Escalator clause that could be used to cover new additions to the conference has to affect the amount of money that the Big XII, PAC 10, and ACC can negotiate. Essentially the ACC has become shoulder programming for the SEC. The PAC 10 contract is about to expire and the Big XII has lost it two big names, those conferences are in a terrible place. It will be hard for the PAC 10 to stay together when it is obvious the Big Ten will expand further.

Does the addition of some PAC 10 teams to the Big XII create more value? It does, but it also means more mouths to feed. There is now a group of four conference rather than five even though it isn't formal. The ACC is not relevant in the context of trends. I don't see members of the Big XII getting more than $20M per year in the future.
I think the B1G will wait until the Pac10 gets their new contract bids, then counter offer a few teams (WA, OR, and/or Stanford) for a Reduced Share of the B1G (but, more $ than the Pac10 offer) e.g. if Pac10 get $50M per team, B1G will give you $60M per year with the promise of equal shares in new 2030 B1G contract.

Reactions: San_Antonio_Hawk
And at any rate they will be laughing all the way to the bank with all that $$$$$$. Clone fans still trying to find buts with it.
Make Money GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Phhhht! ND and the B1G hsve nuthin on ISU. You can buy ISU football tickets at COSTCO!

• Haha
Reactions: San_Antonio_Hawk
At this point they better quit trying "to spin things' and figure out a way to get into the B1G or SEC for survival reasons
Iowa State wasn’t ever going to win a national title anyway.

not sure Iowa ever will and they don’t have Iowa State types excuses anymore.

That seems very likely. Football programs are expensive to run, but after a while $100M/year is more than you can spend.

First on my list would be to replace the South endzone to mirror the North. I know the South was recently renovated, but just take the L and move on.

There is no amount of money that is more than can be spent. My wife demonstrates that truth daily.

I don’t see it. Title IX, distribute equally to every single athlete on campus.

also at that point the common student might want a slice of the action.

shit, a paralegal could win that.
Not even close to what title IX is about or covers.

The butthurt out there is thick today.
you should see clown fanatic. their anger has now been directed towards Iowa. They can't go more than 2 posts without vitriol-filled envious animosity-laced comments about the Hawks. Iowa's benefit from this is the elephant in the room for those poor clowns.

you should see clown fanatic. their anger has now been directed towards Iowa. They can't go more than 2 posts without vitriol-filled envious animosity-laced comments about the Hawks. Iowa's benefit from this is the elephant in the room for those poor clowns.
They need to decide if they want to be a feeder program for iowa or nebby.

i thought the Iowa legislature was going to force the Big Ten to take in ISU. Or, the even better one was before last season ISU puffing their chest that the Big has to take them as they were an elite FB team now because of Matt Campbell and had AAU status. A lot changed in a year.

i thought the Iowa legislature was going to force the Big Ten to take in ISU. Or, the even better one was before last season ISU puffing their chest that the Big has to take them as they were an elite FB team now because of Matt Campbell and had AAU status. A lot changed in a year.
Yep, some real bright cyclown fans out there! 😜

Innovative deal, leveraging the coast to coast reach of the conference and multiple media players. SEC still put a better football product on the field and its not close, but is of course more geographically concentrated, and they probably signed too long of a deal with ESPN/ABC. SEC should have had the foresight to anticipate future bargaining power given the explosive population growth in TX, FL, etc.

Thinking of future expansion, there is not a ton of incrementality for SEC looking at schools like Clemson, FSU and Miami. Possibly a defensive move to keep B1G out of the Southeast.

For the B1G, besides ND, I do think taking a look at a few ACC teams makes sense. Maybe UNC, FSU or Clemson?
Big 10 wants NC and GTech but the acc breakout is cost prohibitive.

They will be 6-6 or 7-5 this season. The love affair will continue until Campbell gets tired of it and departs.

Well, that was a mouthful of drivel. You are talking out of your ass and making yourself look like what you are talking out of. Blah Blah. "the way it was constructed previously" You mean like way back in June of 2006 ( generation ago)? Good lord BTN isn't TIER 3 and you cannot simply spin it with a bunch of clown mumbo jumbo. You are regurgitating here the foolishness you are reading on clown fanatic, a place where everyone of those cornpones is suddenly a business media expert.

Let me clarify then. This is an old article which outlines the old way we used to think about media rights tiers.

To quickly cover the basics: there are three tiers of media rights. The first and second tiers are generally controlled by the conferences, which sell them – either separately or combined – to national networks like ABC/ESPN, CBS and Fox. The first tier rights holder gets first pick of the conference’s televised sporting events, usually for over-the-air broadcasts. The unselected games then pass to the second tier rights holder, and games chosen at that level are generally aired on cable networks. The technical definition of “third tier” varies from conference to conference, but it mostly consists of what remains after the first two tier selections have been made. For most conferences, third tier rights belong to the conference members, who are free to monetize them as they see fit.

This explanation used to make sense but it doesn't really anymore and here is why - there are so many rights holders for the content of these larger conferences, that it's not very easy to say what exactly is tier1/2/3 anymore.

It mostly just refers to how people think about the order in which games are picked. In the Big 10, it was generally Fox, then the ESPN 2/U etc, and then BTN picked last which is why they were tier 3.

Also, it's no shot at the Big 10 that their tier 3 package is the BTN. It's the best Tier 3 package for a conference in history and it's not close. The fact that Delany made it happen is a true testament to Big 10 fans and it's a big part of what has fueled a lot of the change in college athletics the last 10 years because it's such a powerful tool and commands so much dollars.

Reactions: Mountain Man Hawk
I think the B1G will wait until the Pac10 gets their new contract bids, then counter offer a few teams (WA, OR, and/or Stanford) for a Reduced Share of the B1G (but, more $ than the Pac10 offer) e.g. if Pac10 get $50M per team, B1G will give you $60M per year with the promise of equal shares in new 2030 B1G contract.

Initial reports coming out is that ESPN is the only bidder and the offer to the PAC is about 30 million per team.

Ultimately the Big 12 was never going to keep pace with the Big 10 sans OU and UT. Is Iowa making 100 million a year good for ISU? No, probably not. But instability in the PAC is good for the Big 12, and the Big 10 saying they aren't done expanding and leaving escalator clauses in the TV contract makes that league incredibly shaky.

Again, ISU would be much better off making Big 10 money. But they aren't ever going to, so the important thing is getting in that next tier of conferences that still have a good TV package and access to the playoff. That's all that really matters.

Not even close to what title IX is about or covers.
You think Iowa can take money from the network deals and just hand it over to football players and basketball players and shut everybody else out.

with billions in play the outrage trigger for lesser athletes is going to be very sensitive.

you realize NIL is about private money not public money?

ADVERTISEMENT