ADVERTISEMENT

Big 10 Media Rights Deal announced....80-100m per school

You think Iowa can take money from the network deals and just hand it over to football players and basketball players and shut everybody else out.

you realize NIL is about private money not public money?
JFC. Is that what I wrote?
I replied to a post basically wrongly saying title IX would require $$ going to women sports equally.

You think Iowa can take money from the network deals and just hand it over to football players and basketball players and shut everybody else out.

with billions in play the outrage trigger for lesser athletes is going to be very sensitive.

Agreed that Iowa can't take $$ to pay NIL money. They could however use all of the extra cash from the new deal to fund things like renovation, etc. and have donors who usually fund that stuff divert those $$ to NIL.

Reactions: kceasthawk

with billions in play the outrage trigger for lesser athletes is going to be very sensitive.

What are you talking about?

The other poster was just indicating that you were mischaracterizing and oversimplifying what Title IX is about.

The poster wasn't making ANY suggestions/inferences about NIL dollars.

Reactions: DogBoyRy
Georgia Tech is on your list and no one else’s.
The Atlanta market is VERY attractive ... and Georgia Tech's academic and research record is exemplary. You don't understand the Big Ten Academic Alliance if you don't realize/appreciate the allure of Georgia Tech.

As for the other school mentioned ... I'd imagine that Duke would be considered more attractive than North Carolina.

• Haha
Reactions: pistachio1999
The Atlanta market is VERY attractive ... and Georgia Tech's academic and research record is exemplary. You don't understand the Big Ten Academic Alliance if you don't realize/appreciate the allure of Georgia Tech.

As for the other school mentioned ... I'd imagine that Duke would be considered more attractive than North Carolina.
Except it's funded with a lot more private endowment (unlike NW, which has a crap-ton of public partnerships)

Essentially was the key word in my post. $20M is, believe it or not, a drop in the bucket for ND. From ND’s perspective, with all things being equal (with regards to CFP access), trading $20M for independence is probably a no brainer for them.
^^^^^This. The only thing to change their POV is somehow being left out of the CFP discussion as an independent. $$$ will never be an issue for them.

^^^^^This. The only thing to change their POV is somehow being left out of the CFP discussion as an independent. $$$ will never be an issue for them.
Exactly. The only other thing would be availability of opponents. Say the B1G and SEC continue to expand and decrease the number of OOC games. ND would be left with the likes of those in the B12 and whatever is left in the PAC and ACC. That might push them to join a conference.

Reactions: MitchLL
FOOK NOTRE DAME!

For some reason they are considered “special” and can remain independent while still considered for the CFP under the right circumstances. It won’t change unless the B1G and SEC merge to create their own league with playoffs for members only. Won’t happen in our lifetime.

If there is any further expansion it will come from adding either Pac12 or ACC schools. I’m fine with that.

IMO, adding ND would only be adding a headache, just like adding Texas.

The SEC butthurt is still really, really funny on Finebaum. This thing is killing them. Apparently the joke is on the B1G, this $1bill+ per year deal is going to be a big, big loss for us. Sure, the SEC's deal with ESPN is $3 billion over 10 years starting in 2024 and the B1G's deal is $7-$8 billion over 7 years starting in 2023, but this is a big win for the SEC. Lol.

The SEC butthurt is still really, really funny on Finebaum. This thing is killing them. Apparently the joke is on the B1G, this $1bill+ per year deal is going to be a big, big loss for us. Sure, the SEC's deal with ESPN is $3 billion over 10 years starting in 2024 and the B1G's deal is $7-$8 billion over 7 years starting in 2023, but this is a big win for the SEC. Lol.
Sounds like the kind of math wizards you would expect from SEC schools.

General question...If ESPN shells out big $$$ for the SEC on top of the Fox/CBS/NBC $$$ to the B1G, where does the Pac10 and Big12 expect the media to get adequate money for their broadcast rights?

Their offers will be a fraction of the Big 2.

Is my logic off?
ESPN's deal with the SEC is actually pretty good for ESPN. Not sure who did the negotiating for the SEC, but ESPN has exclusive rights to SEC games from 2024-2034 for $300 mill/year. Think about that. NBC and CBS are BOTH paying north of $350 mill/year to the B1G for ONE game a week starting in 2024. It's really pretty funny. So given that, I think ESPN probably does have decent $$$ for Pac or Big 12 games since they were shown the door by the B1G.

Last edited:
General question...If ESPN shells out big $$$ for the SEC on top of the Fox/CBS/NBC $$$ to the B1G, where does the Pac10 and Big12 expect the media to get adequate money for their broadcast rights?

Is my logic off?
Many years ago, while having coffee one morning on the screened porch of my parents’ new house in Florida, I overheard a carpenter on the house being built next door saying, “I turned down a raise because it would put me in a higher tax bracket.” Here’s your sign.

NFW. Georgia Tech will never be in the Big Ten.

Reactions: iowahawkeyes1982

Is my logic off?

B12 and P10 are probably getting offers a little below the ACC. Everyone has been bashing the ACC deal, but they're probably going to remain in 3rd place. But the Middle Three will have similar figures. Well behind the Power 2.

B12 and P10 are probably getting offers a little below the ACC. Everyone has been bashing the ACC deal, but they're probably going to remain in 3rd place. But the Middle Three will have similar figures. Well behind the Power 2.
This is total guess on my part, but the OTA outlets drove down the market by spending so much on the B1G and SEC. They would gladly take the B12.0 and PAC, but aren’t going to pay much for it. I can imagine a streaming partner like Amazon or Apple would pay more, but that limits the exposure of the conference. I’m glad I don’t have to make that decision.

If you ever find yourself wondering if the SEC states really are the dumbest, loudest, and fattest region of the country, watch an hour of Finebaum, it'll become clear pretty quick. Really funny stuff.

I don't disagree, but there are times you have to admire their priorities and dedication...

This is total guess on my part, but the OTA outlets drove down the market by spending so much on the B1G and SEC. They would gladly take the B12.0 and PAC, but aren’t going to pay much for it. I can imagine a streaming partner like Amazon or Apple would pay more, but that limits the exposure of the conference. I’m glad I don’t have to make that decision.

I think ESPN/ESPN2 and FS1/FS2 will want B12 and P10. But both conferences are nothing but secondary games now. They aren't going to pay a premium. With the ACC, at least ESPN gets Clemson, FSU and Miami, UNC/Duke Hoops.

B12 biggest football name is.... Oklahoma State? and they just added four G5 teams.

P10 has Oregon and Washington. Oregon is a name right now, but really nothing after that. ESPN or maybe FS1 will like the late kickoff aspect.

Probably ESPN2/FS2-land for most B12/P10 games. Friday night games may be common.

I think ESPN/ESPN2 and FS1/FS2 will want B12 and P10. But both conferences are nothing but secondary games now. They aren't going to pay a premium. With the ACC, at least ESPN gets Clemson, FSU and Miami, UNC/Duke Hoops.

B12 biggest football name is.... Oklahoma State? and they just added four G5 teams.

P10 has Oregon and Washington. Oregon is a name right now, but really nothing after that. ESPN or maybe FS1 will like the late kickoff aspect.

Probably ESPN2/FS2-land for most B12/P10 games. Friday night games may be common.
I think they should target a deal with the Lifetime Channel.

Fortunately for clone fans, they are very familiar with watching their football team on ESPN+. #greatestseasonever

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
It's my opinion that there is no longer a group of 5. It's really a group of four because the membership in the PAC 12 /10 is fractured. The Cal, Standford, Oregon, and Washington are not interested in the Big XII and that leaves Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, and Colorado that are in the Big 12 corner. Oregon State and Washington State probably have figured out that they are Mountain West candidates. The Big XII survives but the media rights are not going to be based on football. Most likely Fox, CBS, NBC and ESPN will want the Big XII for men's and women's basketball.

It will be interesting to watch how the Big XII tries to sell their football and basketball games. On Saturday's the OTA games for football and basketball will be dominated by the SEC and Big Ten. ABC will probably carry an SEC game in the 2:30 slot and/or the 7:00pm slot. It seems that Big XII football games would land primarily on ESPNU or ESPN2. I don't see ESPN Disney being able to generate the advertising dollars to pay a lot for the football games. If CBS, Fox, or NBC want programming for their other cable channels the likely hood of a bit higher media payout is possible. There is a diluted audience for those football secondary games on cable channels. Basketball provides a lot more games to broadcast on more nights so that is where the value is at for the networks.

It is my opinion that athletes will become employees of the University they attend and also be able to get NIL money. When you have two conferences with more resources it creates a huge advantage. When an employer can pay more the pool of recruits is going to be more and the best coaches are going to follow the money. With transfer rules in place your going to see players transferring to higher paying programs in higher numbers. It's a new world.

NFW. Georgia Tech will never be in the Big Ten.
I'm not saying that they will ... I'm just indicating that MAYBE it's a better fit than some folks might suppose.

A lot of folks here get a little too caught up on athletics.

As kceasthawk has mentioned in a different thread (if memory serves) - when you're building a conference, somebody needs to lose games too. Not everybody can be winners.

Georgia Tech would be far better than a doormat - and they bring everything that the Big Ten Academic Alliance would want to the table. Lastly, as I indicated previously, Atlanta is a fine market.

The one caveat is that in the state of Georgia ... in sports, Georgia Tech is definitely the "little bro" to UG.

• Haha
Reactions: pistachio1999
I'm not saying that they will ... I'm just indicating that MAYBE it's a better fit than some folks might suppose.

A lot of folks here get a little too caught up on athletics.

As kceasthawk has mentioned in a different thread (if memory serves) - when you're building a conference, somebody needs to lose games too. Not everybody can be winners.

Georgia Tech would be far better than a doormat - and they bring everything that the Big Ten Academic Alliance would want to the table. Lastly, as I indicated previously, Atlanta is a fine market.

The one caveat is that in the state of Georgia ... in sports, Georgia Tech is definitely the "little bro" to UG.
And Georgia is a wonderful recruiting state

Reactions: ghostOfHomer777
And Georgia is a wonderful recruiting state
Yeah ... to make that area "more officially" B1G recruiting territory ... that would be legit. It's still SEC territory ... but to get your foot more firmly in the door ... that could be significant.

Anyhow, excellent take concerning recruiting. I wasn't even thinking of that in my original posts!

If you ever find yourself wondering if the SEC states really are the dumbest, loudest, and fattest region of the country, watch an hour of Finebaum, it'll become clear pretty quick. Really funny stuff.

Ironically, I am watching the Roll Tide/War Eagle ESPN show now. The troglodyte Bama fan that poisoned the oak trees at Auburn not only was bold enough to call into Finebaum's show to brag about doing it, he even agreed to be on the documentary. Of course, by then he claimed he didn't actually poison the trees. Twins should keep pushing himself; he may become the next Harvey Updyke.

They will be 6-6 or 7-5 this season. The love affair will continue until Campbell gets tired of it and departs.
Thats another side effect of all this. Coaches in demand will be much more likely to bolt and head to BIG or SEC schools then ever before, and the $$$ may cause more turnover as the pressure will be even more to win. There will probably never be another HF or KF type tenure. Having said that, I'm not sure that Campbell has the kind of cred he may have a couple of years ago when they were the darlings. After all the buildup last year, and the clones basically fell back into mediocre I think he may have missed his best chance to jump already.

It's my opinion that there is no longer a group of 5. It's really a group of four because the membership in the PAC 12 /10 is fractured. The Cal, Standford, Oregon, and Washington are not interested in the Big XII and that leaves Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, and Colorado that are in the Big 12 corner. Oregon State and Washington State probably have figured out that they are Mountain West candidates. The Big XII survives but the media rights are not going to be based on football. Most likely Fox, CBS, NBC and ESPN will want the Big XII for men's and women's basketball.

It will be interesting to watch how the Big XII tries to sell their football and basketball games. On Saturday's the OTA games for football and basketball will be dominated by the SEC and Big Ten. ABC will probably carry an SEC game in the 2:30 slot and/or the 7:00pm slot. It seems that Big XII football games would land primarily on ESPNU or ESPN2. I don't see ESPN Disney being able to generate the advertising dollars to pay a lot for the football games. If CBS, Fox, or NBC want programming for their other cable channels the likely hood of a bit higher media payout is possible. There is a diluted audience for those football secondary games on cable channels. Basketball provides a lot more games to broadcast on more nights so that is where the value is at for the networks.

It is my opinion that athletes will become employees of the University they attend and also be able to get NIL money. When you have two conferences with more resources it creates a huge advantage. When an employer can pay more the pool of recruits is going to be more and the best coaches are going to follow the money. With transfer rules in place your going to see players transferring to higher paying programs in higher numbers. It's a new world.
Maybe, but becoming employees will open an entirely new set of major problems. Mainly unions, and probable tax scenarios. We'll see......

Reactions: hawkeyebob62
There’s only so much you can dump on the coaches and facilities with this money. The real game changer is when they figure out how to tie in NIL with all this money. They’ll figure out a way through a CBA to do so. Once the players are cut in, it’s game over for everyone not in a P2.
if this happens, it's game over in the long term for everyone not in a P1 ie b1g, which would explain the hysteria on espn/sec

Thats another side effect of all this. Coaches in demand will be much more likely to bolt and head to BIG or SEC schools then ever before, and the $$$ may cause more turnover as the pressure will be even more to win. There will probably never be another HF or KF type tenure. Having said that, I'm not sure that Campbell has the kind of cred he may have a couple of years ago when they were the darlings. After all the buildup last year, and the clones basically fell back into mediocre I think he may have missed his best chance to jump already.
Campbell has been exposed. He’s an above average recruiter, but an average to less than average in-game coach. Say what you will about their team last year, they had talent on both sides of the ball. Finishing 7-6 was a joke. Not to mention Purdy regressed every single year.

Campbell has been exposed. He’s an above average recruiter, but an average to less than average in-game coach. Say what you will about their team last year, they had talent on both sides of the ball. Finishing 7-6 was a joke. Not to mention Purdy regressed every single year.
Which is basically what I was saying. If e was going to get out, he should have done it before last season, because now he'd have much less attractive offers. Like non in the power broker schools in the BIG or SEC.....

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye

This is why I’ve been saying that Iowa has to lock up Iowa State & even Nebber as our feeder programs.

If Nebber has a player we want, we can’t let Michigan State swoop in & steal them right from our own backyard.

Any good Nebber player that we want, has to be ours & not go to another rival B1G team.

Same goes for good ISU players.

• Wow
Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Which is basically what I was saying. If e was going to get out, he should have done it before last season, because now he'd have much less attractive offers. Like non in the power broker schools in the BIG or SEC.....
Yep, I was agreeing with you. He bet on himself and lost big time. In my opinion, if the report of the Detroit Lions offer was true, that was a huge blunder. Even if you go to the NFL and fail, you’d get another chance back in college (just ask Hoiberg).

Report: Big Ten media rights deal includes 'specific language' about Notre Dame, conference expansion​

Notre Dame might be independent for now, but many believe the Fighting Irish could join the Big Ten within the next few years. Further credence was given to that possibility Monday, when Sports Business Journal’s John Ourand revealed details from the conference’s recent media rights deal.

“If Notre Dame joins the Big Ten within the next seven years, CBS, Fox and NBC know exactly how much extra they will have to pay in rights fees,” Ourand wrote. “That specific dollar figure, which is not publicly known, is spelled out in the contracts.”

According to Ourand, several other sources confirmed that the Fighting Irish are the only school mentioned by name in the contracts. If the Big Ten were to add any other team, the networks have agreed to have good-faith conversations with the conference about opening their deals and adjusting their rights fees. However, no dollar figure has been given in that case.

>> linky <<

Reactions: bumpstock
Yep, I was agreeing with you. He bet on himself and lost big time. In my opinion, if the report of the Detroit Lions offer was true, that was a huge blunder. Even if you go to the NFL and fail, you’d get another chance back in college (just ask Hoiberg).
Maybe he puts his family above the rest. He has kids in school. He has already made enough money he wouldn't have to work any more. They love him in Ames. He seems like he would be a great Dad so I can see him wanting to stay and keep his kids there until through school.

ADVERTISEMENT