ADVERTISEMENT

Big 10 points from transfers/retirees

enveng

Rookie
Oct 7, 2004
On the broadcast JB was comparing Michigan this year to the LA rams in that they brought in some key free agents. Made me curious how many big 10 tournament team points were scored by transfers or retirees, and it is a lot.

I think it is a bit distasteful, but highly ranked transfers at needed weights seem to have made a BIG impact this year. I don’t think this will be changing anytime soon either. This seems like something where you get with the program or get left behind.

I may have missed some but here it what I have for transfer/retiree points at big 10s this year:

Penn State 49

Drew Hildebrant 0

Brady Berge 15.5

Max Dean 19

Greg Kerkvliet 14.5

Michigan 48.5

Nick Suriano 23

Stevan Micic 13

Pat Brucki 12.5

Iowa 32

Austin DeSanto 15

Jayden Eierman 17

Listing Berge as a transfer for PSU is interesting considering history. Kerk also has never started for anyone other than PSU. How many years has micic been at Michigan? Was he northwestern before?
Yea lots of ways to look at it. I believe Micic was at Northwestern, Berge was at Minnesota and retired, and Kerk redshirted at OSU.

Some transfers have been at their current school a while. Dean, Suriano, and Brucki are probably the most relevant to this year.

without them it would have been a different tournament. With a different winner (probably PSU, Beard would probably have scored at least 3rd place points).

Listing Berge as a transfer for PSU is interesting considering history. Kerk also has never started for anyone other than PSU. How many years has micic been at Michigan? Was he northwestern before?
He was probably listing Berge as a retired wrestler. One who was getting paid to coach before he re-enrolled.

Kerk initially verbally committed to the Golden Gophers in 2016, before switching his commitment to Oklahoma State about a year later. Then he signed his National Letter of Intent with Ohio State before transferring to Penn State after Snyder left The Buckeyes.

Micic has been at Michigan since 2016. He wrestled as a freshman for Northwestern before transferring.

When I saw Suriano take the mat he looked like an unattached wrestler in a borrowed a Michigan singlet. Some of the other transfers, like Gomez, are at least bought-in to their new program. Suriano is a joke.

Yea lots of ways to look at it. I believe Micic was at Northwestern, Berge was at Minnesota and retired, and Kerk redshirted at OSU.

Some transfers have been at their current school a while. Dean, Suriano, and Brucki are probably the most relevant to this year.

without them it would have been a different tournament. With a different winner (probably PSU, Beard would probably have scored at least 3rd place points).
This Berge was never at Minnesota. He wrestled at Penn State from day one, then went into coaching and they lured him back to fill a hole.

His older brother Broc wrestled at Iowa for a year or so and transfered to Minnesota.

This Berge was never at Minnesota. He wrestled at Penn State from day one, then went into coaching and they lured him back to fill a hole.

His older brother Broc wrestled at Iowa for a year or so and transfered to Minnesota.
I think Broc was one if the other wrestlers involved with the Seth Gross incident that led to his departure.

I think Tom Brands changed the way he recruited and the program got back on top. Now he is going to have to change the way he recruits again if he wants to continually challenge Cael for national titles. Let's face the fact: Cael has free reign and works for a University that has no morals. He can cheat as much as he wants and it is often encouraged.

You just have to adjust to the rules of the game. Next year at 157, for example. He should be scouring the country for transfers and/or anyone that can step in and help.

I think Tom Brands changed the way he recruited and the program got back on top. Now he is going to have to change the way he recruits again if he wants to continually challenge Cael for national titles. Let's face the fact: Cael has free reign and works for a University that has no morals. He can cheat as much as he wants and it is often encouraged.

You just have to adjust to the rules of the game. Next year at 157, for example. He should be scouring the country for transfers and/or anyone that can step in and help.
this is where another clash of ethos becomes extremely prevalent. I don't disagree that next year there will be some drop offs at weights and some shuffling but TNT are have always been loyal and dedicated (and stubborn) to their recruits. Will they have to change their mindsight and be open to bridging a gap with a transfer, or ride with what they have.

What I don't want to see and what I am afraid is already starting to happen are the 1 year rentals for teams on the cusp of a title and then turnover the next year.

Reactions: OldestandGreatest
I think a guy like Kerk-filet and Hildebrandt are different. Hildebrandt is brought in for 1 year only, because they didn't do a good enough job of recruiting / sustaining that weight.

Eierman was brought in for a 1-year fix. Getting 2 years wasn't the plan at the time. DeSanto was brought in to hold down 133 for several years.

Maybe there's no difference, but it feels a little dirtier to bring a guy in for 1 year.

I think a guy like Kerk-filet and Hildebrandt are different. Hildebrandt is brought in for 1 year only, because they didn't do a good enough job of recruiting / sustaining that weight.

Eierman was brought in for a 1-year fix. Getting 2 years wasn't the plan at the time. DeSanto was brought in to hold down 133 for several years.

Maybe there's no difference, but it feels a little dirtier to bring a guy in for 1 year.
Really? Why? I see no difference here. Sounds like you’re splitting hairs

Really? Why? I see no difference here. Sounds like you’re splitting hairs
Kirk followed Kyle Snyder. And the plan was for him to sit a year. Desanto ,Eierman
And Lugz were before the portal and they had to sit a year
Guys like Hilldebrand, Dean, Suriano, Brucki are rentals
Suriano is the epitome of a rental and Mich going all in to get a championship
Hadn’t had a college class in years and didn’t even enroll at UM until late Jan or early Feb. and became eligible to wrestle immediately. And its of my opinion that he will be out of school again in 3 weeks
Hope I’m wrong

Desanto and Eierman did not have to sit a year. Desanto started right off the bat and Eierman took his Olympic RS bc Logo was in his last year.
Eireman did take an Olympic RS, but Lugo was a multi-year 149 lber so there shouldn't have been any conflict there (not sure of all the details on why he sat out that first year).

Kirk followed Kyle Snyder. And the plan was for him to sit a year. Desanto ,Eierman
Hadn’t had a college class in years and didn’t even enroll at UM until late Jan or early Feb. and became eligible to wrestle immediately. And its of my opinion that he will be out of school again in 3 weeks
Hope I’m wrong
That all makes sense.

But at the same time, any transfer following the rules is OK by me. Length of service doesn’t matter, imo.

Reactions: gptakba
Eireman did take an Olympic RS, but Lugo was a multi-year 149 lber so there shouldn't have been any conflict there (not sure of all the details on why he sat out that first year).
I think I read that he hadn't finished his degree at Mizzou yet and wasn't eligible as a grad transfer until he finished - I could be wrong though

Hope I’m wrong
I totally agree about wrestlers becoming rentals. Michigan got 35.5 points from Suriano and Brucki. Ped U got 34.5 points from Dean and Berge. I felt Berge was a rental also. Unfortunately Hildebrand had a bad BIG tourney, will get Points at nationals.

The perfect storm, we lose Lee and the two teams above us go to free agent/rental market. Playing field has changed, sad for college wrestling.

I totally agree about wrestlers becoming rentals. Michigan got 35.5 points from Suriano and Brucki. Ped U got 34.5 points from Dean and Berge. I felt Berge was a rental also. Unfortunately Hildebrand had a bad BIG tourney, will get Points at nationals.

The perfect storm, we lose Lee and the two teams above us go to free agent/rental market. Playing field has changed, sad for college wrestling.

Iowa has transfers in Eiermann and DeSanato and you are complaining about PSU having Dean and Berge(who isn't even a transfer). That is rich.

I don’t like PSU bringing in Dean when Beard was a returning AA and on the rise. Also don’t like the rental units coming in second semester e.g. Suriano, Berge, Hildebrandt.

We knew it would be like the Wild West with the new transfer rules and NIL. I guess I have to learn to like it I’m sure Iowa will benefit in similar ways at some point.

Iowa has transfers in Eiermann and DeSanato and you are complaining about PSU having Dean and Berge(who isn't even a transfer). That is rich.
And hildebrandt. Berge left, then came back. It's a transfer.

To put it in another way, if Spencer Lee came out today and said I am retiring due to my bad knees, then I doubt Iowa fans would see anything wrong if in December 2022, he decided to come back to Iowa for one last run at a NCAA championship.
or...hear me out... Berge retired because of health issues...had a job at another place...Cael realized that he had two holes in his lineup and wasn't going to win nationals, so he somehow convinces Berge that he can come back and wrestle and would get more $$$ than his job...so he can score points and win a team title.

Berge has less than 2% chance of winning a NCAA championship. Lee has greater than 83% chance.

If you're going to use an example, you should've used Kaleb Young as a comparable wrestler.

What about bringing in someone for just the second semester when your in-house options are struggling...

Reactions: TarpHawk
or...hear me out... Berge retired because of health issues...had a job at another place...Cael realized that he had two holes in his lineup and wasn't going to win nationals, so he somehow convinces Berge that he can come back and wrestle and would get more $$$ than his job...so he can score points and win a team title.

Berge has less than 2% chance of winning a NCAA championship. Lee has greater than 83% chance.

If you're going to use an example, you should've used Kaleb Young as a comparable wrestler.
Except Berge decided to wrestle this year, and it wouldn’t work at SDSU. He and Hahn looked into the details. The only way it would work is if he wrestled at PSU. Hahn said pursue your dream and Berge contacted Cael. The interviews are out there on Flo if you want to watch them.

Reactions: hlstone
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT