ADVERTISEMENT

Big 10 Quarterback Rankings after 5 games

There's only like 3 or 4 schools in the country that get the recruits where a new guy can step in and be just as effective as the person he's replacing and unfortunately, Iowa isn't one of them.
Maryland has a guy in his first few months. So does Northwestern. And that's just in the B1G. You can't tell me they have better receivers or TEs than us.

Maryland has a guy in his first few months. So does Northwestern. And that's just in the B1G. You can't tell me they have better receivers or TEs than us.

That doesn't mean our second stringer is better than Petras. I'm not saying Petras is great, I'm just saying that as long as I have been alive I think Drew Tate is the only one who looked above average his first season. Maybe Chuck Long did, but I was really too young to pay attention at that time. Maybe Brad Banks counts? Sort of? The point is more often than not an Iowa QB needs to learn on the job quite a bit. Remember Pick 6 Rick? And Stanley never really did learn to hit the deep ball consistently. I guess I'm just not ready to give up on him yet even though he's rarely close on a deep ball and the next time he hits a receiver in stride will be the first time that happens. I did see a few plays in the last game that gave me some hope to be optimistic he will get better, but we need to keep seeing more of it.

Reactions: 24 so far
I just don't understand why so many people think Iowa is going to have a QB step in and be as good as a 3 year starter. This happens every time. I'm not going to make excuses for Petras's mistakes but my point is I can guarantee that it would not be any better if we had the next guy in. There's only like 3 or 4 schools in the country that get the recruits where a new guy can step in and be just as effective as the person he's replacing and unfortunately, Iowa isn't one of them.
I don't think it has much to do with being as "effective" as the previous 3 year starter, though it is entirely possible to be better than that previous starter. It can and does happen.

Iowa isn't Morehead University, they can and do recruit good players at every position, players with Professional potential, including QB's. (I'm very surprised Nate Stanley is still on an NFL practice squad however, but good for him)

I doubt many expected Petras to light the Big Ten on fire, but he was awful in his first two winnable Big Ten games, with halftime leads and plenty of experienced skill position players around him and an Offensive Line that has done a pretty fair job of protecting him.

He wasn't connecting on a lot of basic passes less than 15 yards from the line of scrimmage. That's bad. They've clearly gameplanned most mid level passes out of the playbook, because they saw what everybody else saw. High throws and passes continually behind receivers among other things. There has been some drops of decent passes, but more really good catches of poorly thrown balls.

When you hold your breath every time your QB drops back to pass, that's not good. Just do the basic throws OK, that would be a huge upgrade. 10-15 yard passes from a 6'5" 230 lb QB trained young man isn't that much to ask for IMO.

The 2 fumbles at Purdue weren't on Petras, but even average play by him wins us that game regardless, IMO. It's just looked optically bad, because it is, and the stats in this case really bare that out.

Iowa fans want to see better play out of that position, no matter who it is. I don't think there's some personal vendetta because he has a mustache or likes the Grateful Dead. Just don't suck, and Iowa will do fine with what they have right now. Likely 5-0 and a Top Ten team in this weird year with anybody besides Petras or Jake Christensen. He needs to be better, he just does.

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
I just don't understand why so many people think Iowa is going to have a QB step in and be as good as a 3 year starter. This happens every time. I'm not going to make excuses for Petras's mistakes but my point is I can guarantee that it would not be any better if we had the next guy in. There's only like 3 or 4 schools in the country that get the recruits where a new guy can step in and be just as effective as the person he's replacing and unfortunately, Iowa isn't one of them.
We should be able to expect the qb to make basic throws consistently, and not continue to make the same mistakes in game 5 that he did in game 1. 3 years in the program and we are hoping he can find some touch and accuracy. He has the lowest yards per attempt in the conference, and his completion percentage is still awful.

Reactions: David1979
We should be able to expect the qb to make basic throws consistently, and not continue to make the same mistakes in game 5 that he did in game 1. 3 years in the program and we are hoping he can find some touch and accuracy. He has the lowest yards per attempt in the conference, and his completion percentage is still awful.

These are fair criticisms. But it's not really anything new either. I wish it could be different but for whatever reason, Iowa doesn't seem to be able to develop QB's until they actually get on the field. And then they seem to be pretty good at it. At least we aren't Harbaugh and Michigan. But I also don't think you are out of line for being critical of this because that is a coaching thing if you see the same pattern from QB to QB.

I don't think it has much to do with being as "effective" as the previous 3 year starter, though it is entirely possible to be better than that previous starter. It can and does happen.

Iowa isn't Morehead University, they can and do recruit good players at every position, players with Professional potential, including QB's. (I'm very surprised Nate Stanley is still on an NFL practice squad however, but good for him)

I doubt many expected Petras to light the Big Ten on fire, but he was awful in his first two winnable Big Ten games, with halftime leads and plenty of experienced skill position players around him and an Offensive Line that has done a pretty fair job of protecting him.

He wasn't connecting on a lot of basic passes less than 15 yards from the line of scrimmage. That's bad. They've clearly gameplanned most mid level passes out of the playbook, because they saw what everybody else saw. High throws and passes continually behind receivers among other things. There has been some drops of decent passes, but more really good catches of poorly thrown balls.

When you hold your breath every time your QB drops back to pass, that's not good. Just do the basic throws OK, that would be a huge upgrade. 10-15 yard passes from a 6'5" 230 lb QB trained young man isn't that much to ask for IMO.

The 2 fumbles at Purdue weren't on Petras, but even average play by him wins us that game regardless, IMO. It's just looked optically bad, because it is, and the stats in this case really bare that out.

Iowa fans want to see better play out of that position, no matter who it is. I don't think there's some personal vendetta because he has a mustache or likes the Grateful Dead. Just don't suck, and Iowa will do fine with what they have right now. Likely 5-0 and a Top Ten team in this weird year with anybody besides Petras or Jake Christensen. He needs to be better, he just does.

I don't disagree with you. I guess I'm seeing exactly what I expected to see this season out of him which is why I'm not surprised. I have to trust the coaches that they aren't keeping the Baker Mayfield prototype Heisman in the first year on the bench just because.

That doesn't mean our second stringer is better than Petras. I'm not saying Petras is great, I'm just saying that as long as I have been alive I think Drew Tate is the only one who looked above average his first season. Maybe Chuck Long did, but I was really too young to pay attention at that time. Maybe Brad Banks counts? Sort of? The point is more often than not an Iowa QB needs to learn on the job quite a bit. Remember Pick 6 Rick? And Stanley never really did learn to hit the deep ball consistently. I guess I'm just not ready to give up on him yet even though he's rarely close on a deep ball and the next time he hits a receiver in stride will be the first time that happens. I did see a few plays in the last game that gave me some hope to be optimistic he will get better, but we need to keep seeing more of it.
Everything I’ve heard suggest Petras is the best option now. What I’m worried about moving forward is Hogan not getting a shot until Petras leaves. That would suck.

I don't disagree with you. I guess I'm seeing exactly what I expected to see this season out of him which is why I'm not surprised. I have to trust the coaches that they aren't keeping the Baker Mayfield prototype Heisman in the first year on the bench just because.
I hope you and others can see I'm not trying to be argumentative about it, and I wasn't expecting anything other than a competent Big Ten QB from a 3rd year player.

So my expectations were relatively low actually, and just hope he was much better, that's all we can do I believe when a new QB is intoduced.

Unfortunately he's been underwhelming to my low expectations. Scary at times. That's the reality as I see it 5 games in. I truly hope the light comes on soon.

Petras is one of the more inexperienced QBs on the list in one of the most unusual years for a first year starter. If we are seeing similar stats next year, then it will be time for questions. But I think we will see a lot of improvement between now and then. Petras seems to have that "it" with the team, and he can make all of the throws.

Reactions: mariner67
So I was curious about this and no one has more experience than Petras at their current school. There are a few with the same amount of years at their school. A few of the first years are doing considerably better than Petras is in his third.

Justin Fields -- Third year at OSU. Same as Petras
Taulia Tagovailoa -- First year at Maryland. Transferred this spring, so not much time to get acclimated
Graham Mertz -- Second year at Wisconsin
Penix Jr -- Third year at Indiana, same as Petras
Aiden O'Connell -- second year at Purdue
Tanner Morgan -- third year at Minnesota
Sean Clifford -- third year at Penn State
Joe Milton -- third year at Michigan
Rocky Lombardi -- third year at Michigan State
Peyton Ramsey -- first year at Northwestern
Noah Vedral -- fourth year playing, third program and now at Rutgers
Luke McCaffrey -- second year playing at Nebraska
Are you saying fields and Petras have the same experience? I'll stop there lol

Derp.

This is ramsey's 4th b1g season.

Md can get better recruits....

Shocker huh lol

I hope you and others can see I'm not trying to be argumentative about it, and I wasn't expecting anything other than a competent Big Ten QB from a 3rd year player.

So my expectations were relatively low actually, and just hope he was much better, that's all we can do I believe when a new QB is intoduced.

Unfortunately he's been underwhelming to my low expectations. Scary at times. That's the reality as I see it 5 games in. I truly hope the light comes on soon.
Look all the qbs struggling, people need to remember that.
When's the last time psu msu mi all had trouble finding a qb in the same season?
Morgan was suppose to be a stud for mn and was a total dud vs us

Reactions: Razorhawk2

Stanzi was the king of the pick 6 for sure but he also stepped up and made huge plays at key moments of the game. Petras has yet to do that. Rudock didn't throw INTs. He also didn't make big plays.

55.6% is “abominable” but 58% for career not only okay but gets you drafted? Beathard was 56% as senior, was that “abominal”?

Beathard and the entire offense were crap in 2016. Not far above 2012 level futility. Yes. 56% is abominable in the modern era of offense. The big difference between 2016 and 2020 is the quality of surrounding cast Petras has.

Edit-Beathard was ranked 101 out of 120 starting QBS in 2016.

Last edited:
Reactions: littlez

I don't think any Iowa fans expected Petras to step in and be as good as Stanley. However, he was a 4 star recruit with a lot of high school accolades going into his 3rd year on campus.

All I would hope is that after 5 games he would be a better than this. Hopefully he improves drastically.

PlayerTeamGQBRatCompAttPctYdsPasY/GY/ATDIntSacksYdsL
Justin FieldsOSU4202.19011379.61,208302.010.713312-25
Taulia TagovailoaUMD3156.4588667.4770256.79.0646-63
Graham MertzWIS3150.3558465.5605201.77.28360
Michael Penix Jr.IND5142.911820158.71,561312.27.81447-20
Aidan O'ConnellPUR3135.68813664.7921307.06.8729-83
Tanner MorganMINN5132.27612859.41,048209.68.24411-78
Sean CliffordPSU5129.78715257.21,070214.07.011816-88
Joe MiltonMICH5125.37913857.21,056211.27.7448-18
Rocky LombardiMSU4124.86811957.1890222.57.5676-51
Peyton RamseyNW5124.09615561.9926185.26.0845-19
Noah VedralRUTG5123.811117364.21,104220.86.48810-50
Luke McCaffreyNEB4108.5446864.7434108.56.41553
Spencer PetrasIOWA5105.79016255.6945189.05.834618
Where's the Illini QB? He's been pretty good this year too.

So I was curious about this and no one has more experience than Petras at their current school. There are a few with the same amount of years at their school. A few of the first years are doing considerably better than Petras is in his third.

Justin Fields -- Third year at OSU. Same as Petras
Taulia Tagovailoa -- First year at Maryland. Transferred this spring, so not much time to get acclimated
Graham Mertz -- Second year at Wisconsin
Penix Jr -- Third year at Indiana, same as Petras
Aiden O'Connell -- second year at Purdue
Tanner Morgan -- third year at Minnesota
Sean Clifford -- third year at Penn State
Joe Milton -- third year at Michigan
Rocky Lombardi -- third year at Michigan State
Peyton Ramsey -- first year at Northwestern
Noah Vedral -- fourth year playing, third program and now at Rutgers
Luke McCaffrey -- second year playing at Nebraska
Peyton Ramsey may be in his first year at Northwestern but he has had significant playing time in each of the last 3 seasons. It's also absurd to compare the number of years in a program to actual playing time. Petras had no spring camp and it was likely very limited this summer. If he continues as is next year, complaints will be valid. Right now, he's a first year starter who has made some mistakes, but has also shown significant ability. I'd take my chances to see what you have with a high ceiling guy any day, especially with a give away season.

Reactions: unclesammy
Everything I’ve heard suggest Petras is the best option now. What I’m worried about moving forward is Hogan not getting a shot until Petras leaves. That would suck.

If Hogan doesn't get a shot it's because a) Petras continues to get better and is better for the entire time both players are here; or b) Hogan doesn't end up being a good college QB.

I get excitement about certain QB's, but we had people frothing at the mouth about Petras' high school tape and how it was good that he'd get a shot once Stanley was gone. Barring the freak talents like Trevor Lawrence, most guys take some period of adjustment. Petras has taken baby steps the last 2 weeks. The way he finished against Minnesota was encouraging and the game against PSU was his best overall game (even with the fumbled exchange. The drive where he hit Ragaini down the seam, then LaPorta near the goal line was outstanding, as was the series where Iowa took over own downs at midfield and scored at the end of the first half. No wow throws in that series, just several on time, accurate ones that moved the ball.

And has beaten Clifford, Lombardi, and Morgan.... hopefully McCaffrey this next week too. He is decent rght now and improving. Also has 3 rushing tds I believe

He has 2 rushing TDs. A 1 yard run, and a 3 yard run. Not impressive.

Beathard and the entire offense were crap in 2016. Not far above 2012 level futility. Yes. 56% is abominable in the modern era of offense. The big difference between 2016 and 2020 is the quality of surrounding cast Petras has.

58% was career for Beathard and Stanley.

No, I think this is an interesting conversation. You've brought up good points and have valid reasons to be critical.

Stanzi was the king of the pick 6 for sure but he also stepped up and made huge plays at key moments of the game. Petras has yet to do that. Rudock didn't throw INTs. He also didn't make big plays.

Well, he converted a 3rd and 20. He needs to do a lot more of that but it's something.

PlayerTeamGQBRatCompAttPctYdsPasY/GY/ATDIntSacksYdsL
Justin FieldsOSU4202.19011379.61,208302.010.713312-25
Taulia TagovailoaUMD3156.4588667.4770256.79.0646-63
Graham MertzWIS3150.3558465.5605201.77.28360
Michael Penix Jr.IND5142.911820158.71,561312.27.81447-20
Aidan O'ConnellPUR3135.68813664.7921307.06.8729-83
Tanner MorganMINN5132.27612859.41,048209.68.24411-78
Sean CliffordPSU5129.78715257.21,070214.07.011816-88
Joe MiltonMICH5125.37913857.21,056211.27.7448-18
Rocky LombardiMSU4124.86811957.1890222.57.5676-51
Peyton RamseyNW5124.09615561.9926185.26.0845-19
Noah VedralRUTG5123.811117364.21,104220.86.48810-50
Luke McCaffreyNEB4108.5446864.7434108.56.41553
Spencer PetrasIOWA5105.79016255.6945189.05.834618
So your saying we should trade Petras for Justin Fields? LOL I'm hip...LOL

Ws are Ws. We are 5 f-ing points from being undefeated. And no it was not all Petras fault.

What?! Go back and watch how many missed opportunities (and passes) Petras had in those games. There were some egregiously wide-open misses, several on third downs. I would love to see a statistic on bad QB throws, I'm willing to bet he leads the Big Ten. Bottomline, as others stated and what you are alluding to, if we had a better QB or at least QB performance, we would be 5-0.

Ask Petras about those games and he would tell you it wasn't on his teammates, the loss is on him as the leader of the offense. If he holds himself accountable to this mantra, why shouldn't fans as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: not_mantiteo
People defending Petras would be like saying Kirk Cousins is responsible for the Vikings' 3-game winning streak and singlehandedly beat the 3 QBs he faced....................

Just sayin.
its not about defending him , its about giving him a chance . saturday hw was above average , it was better . he has played 5 competitive games in 3 years , am i a little disappointed ? yes but i still think potential is there .

We had two 1000 yard rushers in 2016, Beathard should have had the easiest time of any QB we've had that year.

What?! Go back and watch how many missed opportunities (and passes) Petras had in those games. There were some egregiously wide-open misses, several on third downs. I would love to see a statistic on bad QB throws, I'm willing to bet he leads the Big Ten. Bottomline, as others stated and what you are alluding to, if we had a better QB or at least QB performance, we would be 5-0.

Ask Petras about those games and he would tell you it wasn't on his teammates, the loss is on him as the leader of the offense. If he holds himself accountable to this mantra, why shouldn't fans as well.

Good god just stop. If we do not fumble we beat Purdue. If we do not miss a FG we beat NW. How that on Petras? also He has had some picks, but there have also been some drops. I do not know how you keep focusing on Petras. The penalties have also gotten a little better but those are also killer too. Again not all on Petras.

Reactions: H4wkfan4life

If we had better line play in the 1st 2 games we'd be 5 0. If we had better rb play we'd be 5 0.

Good god just stop. If we do not fumble we beat Purdue. If we do not miss a FG we beat NW. How that on Petras? also He has had some picks, but there have also been some drops. I do not know how you keep focusing on Petras. The penalties have also gotten a little better but those are also killer too. Again not all on Petras.
I agree about Purdue with the fumbles but the NW game was just awful. Petras was spotted two touchdowns. NW completely sold out to stop the run. All he had to do was put together ONE legit td drive to put that game away. Petras was just terrible against NW.

58% was career for Beathard and Stanley.

And? Where do you suppose that got them rated any year throughout their career? Here are the QB ratings since 2015:
2015-34
2016-101
2017-67
2018-27
2019-44

Mean of around 55.
Sub-60% is bad, really bad in the modern era. Especially when the majority of your targets are <10 yards.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
And? Where do you suppose that got them rated any year throughout their career? Here are the QB ratings since 2015:
2015-34
2016-101
2017-67
2018-27
2019-44

Mean of around 55.
Sub-60% is bad, really bad in the modern era. Especially when the majority of your targets are <10 yards.
I guess bad is enough to get drafted lol

We had two 1000 yard rushers in 2016, Beathard should have had the easiest time of any QB we've had that year.

And managed 95th in scoring at 24.9 per game. Scored less than 20 six times and 21 in losing to NDSU at home. I am not clear. What about comparing Petras' performance this year to anything in 2016 displays him in a favorable light?
I hope he turns it around. I had great hopes for him coming into the program.

Playing experience-wise, live game experience, he’s in his first year. Live games are different than practice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT