ADVERTISEMENT

Big 10 West 2018 Predictions:

I don’t know where people think Neb will find 3 B1G wins.
I could see them pulling the upset on Northwestern. Of course, Fitz and Hankwitz are good at getting their D to defend the run ... so maybe I'm overestimating the Huskers.

I could see them pulling the upset on Purdue ... largely because I see Purdue in a rebuild-mode on D. Of course, with Brohm's retooling of the Purdue O ... maybe that game could be a shoot-out? No offense to Chinander ... but UCF's D weren't world-beaters.

Minnesota is breaking in a new QB and Illinois is Illinois ... so I'd give the Huskers those game too.

That's MAYBE 4 conferences wins ... and that's being pretty optimistic too. Furthermore, if it weren't for significant personnel losses by Colorado and Troy ... I'd say that the Husker OOC slate could challenge them too.

Hey, we have a lot in common, Iowa is a has been wrestling power and a never was football power and Nebraska is a has been football power and a never was wrestling power.

I choose to celebrate what we have in common.

BTW, no coach TO or after has had less than a .750 win percentage against Iowa until mediocre mike. I like our chances with Frost, at least against Iowa.

Scotty ain't go nobody. Black Friday will not be good to Scotty this year.

I think they’re too many variables go based off of last year. I think there’s only 3 teams that are capable of winning The west. wis, Iowa and Nebraska. And next year probably just Wis and Iowa. I never get the Northwestern hype. Regardless of what anyone says. No one in the West will recruit or coach better those three teams.

Nebraska has next to no chance of winning the West in 2018 based off their schedule alone.

Husker fans will soon figure out what Michigan fans are starting to: just because you hire one of your own doesn't mean you are guaranteed championships. It ain't that easy.

Mike Riley’s Huskers gave their lunch money to Iowa.

Let’s not forget Iowa was 1-3 against Bo Pelini. I don’t really expect Iowa to dominate the series quite like they did when Gpa Mike was in Lincoln.

Reactions: Youve_been_OWNED

Let’s not forget Iowa was 1-3 against Bo Pelini. I don’t really expect Iowa to dominate the series quite like they did when Gpa Mike was in Lincoln.
Just as Husker fans are quick to point out that the Huskers sucked in '17 ... and hence the Hawks shouldn't feel too proud of that victory. Similarly, the Hawks sucked in '12 ... and yet the Huskers only managed to beat the Hawks by 6 points. Also, Pelini's '14 victory over the Hawks was a rather painful one for Hawk fans ... because that game required a complete implosion by the Hawks for the Huskers to win it. Irrespective of Pelini's 3-1 mark versus the Hawks ... the scoreboard indicated that the series was actually a pretty close one.

Crazy accurate account here. Or, maybe I just agree. Lol.

My only disagree with prevailing opinion in this thread is I don't think we "have to" beat Wisky to win the West. Wisconsin won't run the table, and I doubt they avoid two Ls with that schedule. Maybe this isn't as supportable as I perceive, but I think we have to beat the teams we should beat more than beat Wisconsin. I'm unsure as to which games we'll be favored in, but if we go 8-1, we will win the West this year. Agree? We did this (won expected wins) a few years back and found ourselves in Indy. (Obviously, a different schedule.) Unfortunately, I have seen about as many Central Michigan or Northern Illinois losses as I have seen "upsets" of Michigan and PSU.

Again, if we go 8-1, we win the B1G West. Win the games you are supposed to win. We're among the very best at the art of the upset, especially at home. I don't know enough about PSU to say whether we should win/lose that...likely favored to lose. We have historically performed well in Happy Valley though. As has been posted, it probably hinges on how quickly our development and health allow us to perform in game 4. Wisky will be very good at that point I expect. Everything points up in my opinion with the program currently, and I'm excited to see what our current staff and roster can do.
I think the prevailing thought that we need to beat Wisky to win the west, is as much because they have become the top dog in our division, and without question the team in the BIG most like Iowa, in almost any measureable way. Its a psychological thing. If we want to win the west,we MUST wrestle it away from Bucky. I'd agree. Its time we stand up and show the Badgers that the west is not theirs by default.......

My first pass guess:

1. Wisconsin - 8-1 / Loss at Penn St.
2. Iowa - 7-2 / Losses to WIS at home and at PSU
3. NW - 5-4 / Losses to MICH, at MSU, WIS, at Iowa
4. PUR - 4-5 / Losses at NEB, OSU, at MSU, Iowa, WIS
5. NEB - 3-6 / Losses at MICH, at WIS, at NW, at OSU, MSU, at Iowa
6. MINN - 3-6 / Losses to Iowa, at OSU, at NEB, PUR, NW, at WIS
7. Illinois - 0-9 / Losses to everyone

Iowa's Big 10 opener vs. Wisconsin will be a huge game.
If Iowa pulls out a W vs. WIS, they have a very realistic shot at getting to Indy.
WIS has a pretty brutal road schedule as they travel to Iowa, MICH, NW, PSU and PUR.
That’s a bold prediction! You essentially said that there will be no upsets in the Big West all season. That would be astonishing

I think the prevailing thought that we need to beat Wisky to win the west, is as much because they have become the top dog in our division, and without question the team in the BIG most like Iowa, in almost any measureable way. Its a psychological thing. If we want to win the west,we MUST wrestle it away from Bucky. I'd agree. Its time we stand up and show the Badgers that the west is not theirs by default.......

Can't agree more. However, I haven't seen the slightest sign that we are closing the gap (against WI) on the field. The stat that is closely related to winning this particular matchup is usually TOP. The TOP has almost always favored them siginificantly 2013 onwards and I think we know why (it's the iowa offense.) Even in 2015 when the TOP was equal, it took an excellent yet fortuitous play for us to eke it out.

At best (if BF's offense proves significantly better than the GD versions at handling their scheme), we could end up with a bunch of 2015 type close encounters over the next decade. Coin-toss type heart-attack inducing games. At worst, let's not go there.

Can't agree more. However, I haven't seen the slightest sign that we are closing the gap (against WI) on the field. The stat that is closely related to winning this particular matchup is usually TOP. The TOP has almost always favored them siginificantly 2013 onwards and I think we know why (it's the iowa offense.) Even in 2015 when the TOP was equal, it took an excellent yet fortuitous play for us to eke it out.

At best (if BF's offense proves significantly better than the GD versions at handling their scheme), we could end up with a bunch of 2015 type close encounters over the next decade. Coin-toss type heart-attack inducing games. At worst, let's not go there.
The thing about that 2015 bloody your nose street fight with Wisky is that it set the tone for the Hawks entire season. Early in the year, and on the road, that Iowa team showed the resolve and guts to battle a top BIG contender. Can't help but think that game unified and emboldened that squad with a belief that they could put their stamp on the league race. We'll open the BIG season at Kinnick this season with a chance to set the tone for the entire year, and it may be one of the most critical early season games we've played in years, just in terms of wrestling the mantle of top dog from Bucky, where they've become entrenched. If the networks are paying attention, this should be a primetime national night game. Bring on the KINNICK magic!

Our D will be solid as usual. We have guys who can run the ball and will get better as the season goes on. Will our O line stay healthy and be up to their task? Has Stanley learned to finesse his throws and complete more long balls? We should give Wiscy all they can handle at home although I don't see that deciding the BT West title. We can't go sleepwalking into the Maryland, Purdue, and Northwestern games. A win at Penn State isn't going to happen. Should win vs Minnesota, Indiana, Illinois and Nebraska. Because of our style of play, the punting game is the deciding factor on our ability to win the west and get back to the title game.

Reactions: Youve_been_OWNED

Do I want us to beat Wisconsin, hell yes.
Do I think we can, hell yes. All reasons given (and more), I agree.
Do I think we NEED to, no. Any West championship will say enough to trump any single loss.

I'm a fan of "respect all, fear none." Aside from the past 2 years, this recent rivalry is even over the last 10. They have won 5 of 7, but the Iowa offense has been in a place not usual while the Wisconsin defense has been at a high point. I expect the offense to be in a much better place over the next 5 years. Not fearing WI going forward.

My first pass guess:

1. Wisconsin - 8-1 / Loss at Penn St.
2. Iowa - 7-2 / Losses to WIS at home and at PSU
3. NW - 5-4 / Losses to MICH, at MSU, WIS, at Iowa
4. PUR - 4-5 / Losses at NEB, OSU, at MSU, Iowa, WIS
5. NEB - 3-6 / Losses at MICH, at WIS, at NW, at OSU, MSU, at Iowa
6. MINN - 3-6 / Losses to Iowa, at OSU, at NEB, PUR, NW, at WIS
7. Illinois - 0-9 / Losses to everyone

Iowa's Big 10 opener vs. Wisconsin will be a huge game.
If Iowa pulls out a W vs. WIS, they have a very realistic shot at getting to Indy.
WIS has a pretty brutal road schedule as they travel to Iowa, MICH, NW, PSU and PUR.

Purdue pulled a pretty tough slate...tough timing for a program that looked to be on the upswing.

Win % over Iowa by coach:

TO 75%
Solich 100%
Pelini 75%
Nebraska’s version of Ferentz (MR) 0%

Odds favor a return to Nebraska winning 75% of this series.

You really don't understand the concept of "Odds" ...

TO 75%
Solich 100%
Pelini 75%

Why would the odds favor that with such a small sample size?
Are you actually serious with a 3 out of every 4 scenario? This right there is why fans of other teams laugh at Nebraska Fan.

Then trend is actually the opposite of what you're saying.

A MUCH more accurate assessment would be, "I really hope and wish and pray Nebraska can get to winning 75% of this series."

nor do I. Bo did get Iowa in one of there not so stellar cycles, and outside of the first game found Iowa very hard team to beat, and even thank Iowa for beating themselves once in IC.

What is is really apparent to all but Husker zealots is the hype about the players, the recruits, the future,the process, the past, the superior facilities, the rightful place, etc. What the media and fans write today isn't too dissimilar from the Riley years until loss number 3 last year. OWH, LJS, Nebraska message board posters...make it feel like groundhog day.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
The Wisky gap isn't as big as some make it out to be. They had an excellent team last year, and have an excellent program. It isn't because of scheme or talent, but more so they have been very sound and consistent. Tip the hat to them. That said -

I think iowa or wisconsin will be 7-2 and 6-3 this year.
NW and Purdue will be 5-4
Minnesota or Nebraska 4-5 and 3-6
Illinois, lets go 2-7

I don't know if the math adds up, but it will be a tight race again this year.

3 teams having mathematical chance with two weeks to play is more of a norm than most realize. This year I think a couple of more might join the party with a slliver of hope entering the last two weeks. Of course this would add to the narrative of the B1G West being weak rather than a narrative of parity.

Reactions: Hawks_Rock_12
PSU game will be an interesting game next year. According to a draft analysis, PSU should have 9 players drafted... https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft...ks-and-draft-class-analysis-for-all-32-teams/ Top 3 are on offense (RB, TE, WR), but they are also projected to have all 4 of their S's/DB's drafted and a LB. Iowa having great TE's and a veteran QB might be able to challenge their defense. We will see. Being a late Oct game, injuries may decide whether Iowa has a chance in this game.

Wrong. 3 out of 4 coaches at 75% or higher. I like Nebraska’s chances. I know facts and figures confuse you, but that’s a you problem. The only thing those numbers prove is that Riley was a below average coach.

Your sample size is a whopping 13 games dating back to nearly 40 years ago, Genius. In that time frame mighty Nebraska is 8-5 against Iowa. After this year you will have lost 5 out of 6 and you're damn lucky you're not looking at a 6 game losing streak.

I have a firm grasp of facts and figures. The facts and figures clearly show Nebraska is a mediocre Big Ten team at best. For crying out loud, I honestly don't think OSU's punter has even ever played against you guys.

TO 75%
Solich 100%
Pelini 75%

You really don't understand the concept of "Odds" ...
Your sample size is a whopping 13 games dating back to nearly 40 years ago, Genius. In that time frame mighty Nebraska is 8-5 against Iowa. After this year you will have lost 5 out of 6 and you're damn lucky you're not looking at a 6 game losing streak.

I have a firm grasp of facts and figures. The facts and figures clearly show Nebraska is a mediocre Big Ten team at best. For crying out loud, I honestly don't think OSU's punter has even ever played against you guys.

The sample size isn't the issue, so much as all the changing variables. You can't compare 2018 to 2005 or 1995 (to use a reference point a Husker fan would understand) or 1985 etc etc. Too many things have changed and continue to change...especially in the most recent years. The landscape was much more static years ago...it's increasingly dynamic and rule changes have enhanced parity.
It's also true that while you could impress a recruit in 1980 or 1999 with the "legacy" of a particular program...more than ever teenagers are not only ignorant of history...they largely don't care. (let's keep this sports focused). What happened the last few years is much more important than a 1995 National Championship that happened before any current recruits were born.

Last edited:
The sample size isn't the issue, so much as all the changing variables. You can't compare 2018 to 2005 or 1995 (to use a reference point a Husker fan would understand) or 1985 etc etc. Too many things have changed and continue to change...especially in the most recent years. The landscape was much more static years ago...it's increasingly dynamic and rule changes have enhanced parity.
It's also true that while you could impress a recruit in 1980 or 1999 with the "legacy" of a particular program...more than ever teenagers are not only ignorant of history...they largely don't care. (let's keep this sports focused). What happened the last few years is much more important than a 1995 National Championship that happened before any current recruits were born.
How dare you marginalize Nebraska's national championship! (*said in feigned contempt*)

Reactions: HawkIDrummer
Wrong. 3 out of 4 coaches at 75% or higher. I like Nebraska’s chances. I know facts and figures confuse you, but that’s a you problem. The only thing those numbers prove is that Riley was a below average coach.
Neb may want to start a coaching search immediately. Scott Flop just isn’t getting it done in Lincoln.

If you think Flop’s a bad coach now, wait til the games start.

Reactions: IA_Pork4life
I understand the rivalry brewing for UNL and IA as well as the history between IA and Minny. So think a lot of comments are a little bias. But I do have to ask, what's with the Purdue hype? Do people really think they're going to blindside BIG west like they did last year? I keep hearing Purdue as being in the hunt. I just don't see it. I don't think they have the talent level as WIS, UNL, IA OR NW. I think they'll be competitive but I don't see them finishing above any of those teams.

I understand the rivalry brewing for UNL and IA as well as the history between IA and Minny. So think a lot of comments are a little bias. But I do have to ask, what's with the Purdue hype? Do people really think they're going to blindside BIG west like they did last year? I keep hearing Purdue as being in the hunt. I just don't see it. I don't think they have the talent level as WIS, UNL, IA OR NW. I think they'll be competitive but I don't see them finishing above any of those teams.
Pur has way more talent than Neb.

Reactions: Blackleaf40
Wisconsin
Iowa
NW
Purdue
Neb
Minn
Illinois

Final Standings in West , hoping Iowa proves me wrong and wins it of course
I’ll say this but Neb is my sleeper last place West team. Most have them finishing 6th place but I think Scott Flop pulls out a dead last place finish. Illinois beats Neb this year to cement their last place finish.

Reactions: PorkyUofI
I’ll say this but Neb is my sleeper last place West team. Most have them finishing 6th place but I think Scott Flop pulls out a dead last place finish. Illinois beats Neb this year to cement their last place finish.
Frost is a far better Coach than Lovie, Lovie is horrible in game , Plus its Illinois and they are last until they actually don't finish last in my book.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT