ADVERTISEMENT

Big 12 distributes $36.5M to each of the 10 schools; Texas gets additional $15M for Longhorn Network

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Crazy how no one is ever going to stand up to Texas. I am sure that extra $15 million is nice!

From eSECpn:

IRVING, Texas -- The Big 12 Conference will distribute a record $364.9 million to its 10 institutions for the fiscal year, commissioner Bob Bowlsby announced Friday at the conclusion of league meetings.

That amounts to $36.5 million per school, likely placing the Big 12 third among the Power 5 conferences, behind the SEC and Big Ten but ahead of the Pac-12 and ACC.

Unlike the other leagues, which include Tier 3 revenue from conference networks in their distribution figures, the Big 12's distribution numbers do not include Tier 3 revenue. The Longhorn Network, which is owned by ESPN, pays Texas an additional $15 million per year on average. Oklahoma nets roughly $5 million from its Tier 3 agreements with Fox.

Regarding Iowa State's Tier 3 Revenue: Launched in the fall of 2012, the Cyclones.TV digital network features live events and on-demand programming throughout the year for a monthly or yearly fee. NOTE: ISU bears the cost of production; current revenues and expenses unknown.

LINK: http://www.espn.com/college-sports/...12-conference-distribute-3649-million-schools

Last edited:
From eSECpn:

IRVING, Texas -- The Big 12 Conference will distribute a record $364.9 million to its 10 institutions for the fiscal year, commissioner Bob Bowlsby announced Friday at the conclusion of league meetings.

That amounts to $36.5 million per school, likely placing the Big 12 third among the Power 5 conferences, behind the SEC and Big Ten but ahead of the Pac-12 and ACC.

Unlike the other leagues, which include Tier 3 revenue from conference networks in their distribution figures, the Big 12's distribution numbers do not include Tier 3 revenue. The Longhorn Network, which is owned by ESPN, pays Texas an additional $15 million per year on average. Oklahoma nets roughly $5 million from its Tier 3 agreements with Fox.

Regarding Iowa State: Launched in the fall of 2012, the Cyclones.TV digital network features live events and on-demand programming throughout the year for a monthly or yearly fee. NOTE: ISU bears the cost of production; current revenues and expenses unknown.

LINK: http://www.espn.com/college-sports/...12-conference-distribute-3649-million-schools

How can the cost/revenue of the Isu thing not be known? It's a public institution.

How can the cost/revenue of the Isu thing not be known? It's a public institution.
i did a google search & could not find anything current; obviously it has to be below Oklahoma's $5M figure & again you have to subtract out expenses to see what Cyclown.TV brings to ISwho

ISU is in trouble. Zero eyeballs. No history and Campbell will be gone in short order. That conference already is a joke. No defense, no draft picks. Texas, Okie and Okie St will be gone. Or Texas will keep getting all the gravy and Okie will finally get pissed. ISU will be MAC or MWC soon. The Big 12 may be doing OK now, but it is based on only 2 teams. And Okie wants out. The only reason to stay is because it is only a 2 team league. Okie St is ok as is TCU. But nobody cares. K-St about to fall off the cliff as is Baylor. Kansas, ISU, and Texas Tech are dreadful for football nationwide. West Virginia is OK but does not fit. That conference is dead.

ISU is in trouble. Zero eyeballs. No history and Campbell will be gone in short order. That conference already is a joke. No defense, no draft picks. Texas, Okie and Okie St will be gone. Or Texas will keep getting all the gravy and Okie will finally get pissed. ISU will be MAC or MWC soon. The Big 12 may be doing OK now, but it is based on only 2 teams. And Okie wants out. The only reason to stay is because it is only a 2 team league. Okie St is ok as is TCU. But nobody cares. K-St about to fall off the cliff as is Baylor. Kansas, ISU, and Texas Tech are dreadful for football nationwide. West Virginia is OK but does not fit. That conference is dead.
LOL

Reactions: mrcyfan
This is a related article about the next rights deals and the money streaming services will be offering. Also talks about realignment. That model has Iowa among the big boys, ISU not making the cut.

https://247sports.com/college/oklah...ama-Michigan-SEC-Pac-12-Big-10-ACC--118642101

that is an interesting article. I wonder who will be the bidders? Will it still be ESPN and Fox or will Amazon be a player and offer the SEC/B1G/etc more than they can turn down? And then we all have to buy Amazon Prime memberships to watch?

Amazon is going to destroy retail and now the sports landscape, too?

ISU is in trouble. Zero eyeballs. No history and Camgpbell will be gone in short order. That conference already is a joke. No defense, no draft picks. Texas, Okie and Okie St will be gone. Or Texas will keep getting all the gravy and Okie will finally get pissed. ISU will be MAC or MWC soon. The Big 12 may be doing OK now, but it is based on only 2 teams. And Okie wants out. The only reason to stay is because it is only a 2 team league. Okie St is ok as is TCU. But nobody cares. K-St about to fall off the cliff as is Baylor. Kansas, ISU, and Texas Tech are dreadful for football nationwide. West Virginia is OK but does not fit. That conference is dead.

God your an idiot.

My understanding is that the rights sold under Tier 3 are part of the overall media package ISU has with Learfield, so there really isn't a way to break down how much each part of the agreement is worth.

No eyeballs.

Two teams have averaged over 50K for football, 12K for men's basketball and 9K for women's basketball over the past decade or so.

Tennessee is the other one.

"Your" an idiot. That is legendary. LC - eyeballs don't mean attendance. Come on you are better than that. And I said nationwide. I am sorry you cannot be a historically horrible program from a small state with already a historic top 25 program in said small state and be relevant nationally. Look, I think Campbell is a hell of a coach and the program is on the rise, but unless that is sustained for quite some time, 100 plus years of futility is hard to erase. I mean, how many bowl wins does ISU have in 120 years and how many top 25 finishes?

"Your" an idiot. That is legendary. LC - eyeballs don't mean attendance. Come on you are better than that. And I said nationwide. I am sorry you cannot be a historically horrible program from a small state with already a historic top 25 program in said small state and be relevant nationally. Look, I think Campbell is a hell of a coach and the program is on the rise, but unless that is sustained for quite some time, 100 plus years of futility is hard to erase. I mean, how many bowl wins does ISU have in 120 years and how many top 25 finishes?
If I had a dollar for every time you (or one like you) has posted a version of that doomsday prediction in the past 25 years, I'd be a rich man. Meanwhile, the ISU athletics program keeps getting bigger and better. The status is so much better now than it was during the Big Eight days that the situations aren't really comparable.

(Which is not to say I don't frequently miss the old Big Eight.)

As I've said many times before, I realize the problems facing ISU when the next reorganization rolls around. It's quite possible there will be three or four top conferences, and if so, ISU probably won't be in one of them. But it's a huge step from there to the dire situations you keep predicting.

This is a related article about the next rights deals and the money streaming services will be offering. Also talks about realignment. That model has Iowa among the big boys, ISU not making the cut.

https://247sports.com/college/oklah...ama-Michigan-SEC-Pac-12-Big-10-ACC--118642101
Not even professional leagues are run this way. You’re basically saying there are 30-40 teams who will remain entrenched as the “big dogs” (10-12 as the “elite dogs”) and everyone else can split up the crumbs in order to barely survive as the canon fodder.

At least as it is now, those bottom teams have somewhat of a chance to improve their current pecking order by receiving an equitable distribution of the pie.

Is this the future of CFB...

Elite Dogs: $75M-$100M per year
Big Dogs: $50M-$60M per year
Others: $25M-$35M per year

D1, CfB would do well to mirror the EPL (soccer). You want to make a #39 vs #40 bowl game exciting, make it a relegation game.

LC - good points. I am only saying that ISU does not have a footprint. Even in Iowa outside of Story County. Look, I said Campbell is a stud. And your basketball program is in good shape last year notwithstanding. And has an awesome environment. I was only commenting on how ISU is viewed nationally. And unless you are Kentucky or Duke, basketball does not bring eyeballs. If Iowa has to keep playing ISU in football than want you P5. And be good. Not beat Iowa and get embarrassed in the Humanitarian Bowl while Iowa goes to the Orange Bowl.

Reactions: HerkyFan

Here, you'll love this book. ;)

LC - good points. I am only saying that ISU does not have a footprint. Even in Iowa outside of Story County. Look, I said Campbell is a stud. And your basketball program is in good shape last year notwithstanding. And has an awesome environment. I was only commenting on how ISU is viewed nationally. And unless you are Kentucky or Duke, basketball does not bring eyeballs. If Iowa has to keep playing ISU in football than want you P5. And be good. Not beat Iowa and get embarrassed in the Humanitarian Bowl while Iowa goes to the Orange Bowl.
I have never suggested ISU has the footprint of the big dogs, or even the footprint of the not-quite-big dogs like Iowa. Moreover, it suffers by being between Nebraska and Iowa. As long as television makes all the decisions, ISU is not in a good position when reorganization rolls around ( as it inevitably will again). The departure of Nebraska and Missouri to other conferences exacerbated the problem.

I realize some people use "MAC" as a euphemism for "other than elite," but I'm afraid others are dumb enough to actually think it's a likelihood. What's actually probable is that ISU and some other orphans end up in a new league. A conference that had, say, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Okie State, TCU, Memphis, Louisville, South Florida and Texas Tech wouldn't be elite, but it would be a huge step above the MAC.

Reminding me of the 2002 season was painful. Problem was depth (as it always has been at Ames) when injuries started hurting, and while the schedule is always an excuse, I don't think people fully realize how tough it was that year. Cyclones played 9 bowl teams, 7 of them on the road, and 5 of which were rated in the top 10 (Iowa, Kansas State, Florida State, Oklahoma and Texas).

And it was Iowa that was embarrassed in the bowl game, not ISU. ;)

Reactions: BIGSTICK67
I have never suggested ISU has the footprint of the big dogs, or even the footprint of the not-quite-big dogs like Iowa. Moreover, it suffers by being between Nebraska and Iowa. As long as television makes all the decisions, ISU is not in a good position when reorganization rolls around ( as it inevitably will again). The departure of Nebraska and Missouri to other conferences exacerbated the problem.

I realize some people use "MAC" as a euphemism for "other than elite," but I'm afraid others are dumb enough to actually think it's a likelihood. What's actually probable is that ISU and some other orphans end up in a new league. A conference that had, say, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Okie State, TCU, Memphis, Louisville, South Florida and Texas Tech wouldn't be elite, but it would be a huge step above the MAC.

Reminding me of the 2002 season was painful. Problem was depth (as it always has been at Ames) when injuries started hurting, and while the schedule is always an excuse, I don't think people fully realize how tough it was that year. Cyclones played 9 bowl teams, 7 of them on the road, and 5 of which were rated in the top 10 (Iowa, Kansas State, Florida State, Oklahoma and Texas).

And it was Iowa that was embarrassed in the bowl game, not ISU. ;)

I don't think anyone really knows the next time TV contracts roll around as the model is going to change, more than likely. If Amazon, Facebook, etc really get involved in showing live games that could be interesting. It will be interesting to see if the conferences maintain their solidarity in distributing their rights (meaning media companies have to show all the teams and not just a few). Iowa State is certainly in better shape now than a decade ago. I'm not as optimistic as you are that a league of those left out of the "power" conferences would get anywhere near the money that the bigger leagues would. But it's all just a guess at this point.

LC - I would rather get beat by USC in an Orange Bowl BCS game or Stanford in the Rose Bowl than being embarrassed on the blue field in the Humantiaran Bowl by Boise St. That is dumb. Iowa lost to maybe the best team in the country in the Orange Bowl and ISU got housed on the blue field. By a Mountain West team. LC - be objective. Still waiting to hear the best ISU Bowl wins and how many top Top 25's in 120 years. Seriously champ. ISU is doing better but stop doing the dumb crap of Iowa losing losing to USC, Stanford, etc. We also beat Florida twice, LSU, Georgia Tech in a BCS game, Missouri, South Carolina, etc.

No eyeballs.

Two teams have averaged over 50K for football, 12K for men's basketball and 9K for women's basketball over the past decade or so.

Tennessee is the other one.
You seriously are putting women's basketball in that mix?

Not bragging about Iowa football attendance, but 50K is not exactly something to brag about when Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State have over 100K per game

Also, please define "past decade or so." Is that more or less than 10 years? And which 10 years?

Reactions: Pepperman
My understanding is that the rights sold under Tier 3 are part of the overall media package ISU has with Learfield, so there really isn't a way to break down how much each part of the agreement is worth.

Learfield has nothing to do with Cyclone.tv, correct? I thought Cyclone.tv was an in house, ISU production.

If I had a dollar for every time you (or one like you) has posted a version of that doomsday prediction in the past 25 years, I'd be a rich man. Meanwhile, the ISU athletics program keeps getting bigger and better. The status is so much better now than it was during the Big Eight days that the situations aren't really comparable.

(Which is not to say I don't frequently miss the old Big Eight.)

As I've said many times before, I realize the problems facing ISU when the next reorganization rolls around. It's quite possible there will be three or four top conferences, and if so, ISU probably won't be in one of them. But it's a huge step from there to the dire situations you keep predicting.
there are so many unknowns.

* how much desire is there to have more conference realignment? is there really a push for 4 power conferences, where the 4 winners are in the College football playoff?

* Is Texas happy? Is Oklahoma? If they are, they probably keeps the Big 12 intact, I would think.

* when the current TV deals expire, what will the next contracts look like? Will ESPN still be struggling? Who will bid? how low will the bids be? If the bids come in low, schools suddenly have to re-do their budgets. This is why if you want to improve facilities, now probably is the time because who knows what the future holds when it comes to revenue streams.

LC - I would rather get beat by USC in an Orange Bowl BCS game or Stanford in the Rose Bowl than being embarrassed on the blue field in the Humantiaran Bowl by Boise St. That is dumb. Iowa lost to maybe the best team in the country in the Orange Bowl and ISU got housed on the blue field. By a Mountain West team. LC - be objective. Still waiting to hear the best ISU Bowl wins and how many top Top 25's in 120 years. Seriously champ. ISU is doing better but stop doing the dumb crap of Iowa losing losing to USC, Stanford, etc. We also beat Florida twice, LSU, Georgia Tech in a BCS game, Missouri, South Carolina, etc.
"Embarrassment" is in the eye of the beholder.

Iowa got blown out on a neutral field by a team that was ranked lower than Iowa. Hawks ran the opening kickoff back for a TD, then got shelled 38-3 until scoring a TD at mop-up time. ISU led at halftime and was in the game late in the fourth quarter -- despite Seneca getting hurt on the first series and missing a good part of the game -- eventually losing to a team ranked above them on its own field. Cyclones scored late in the game, went for two, failed, tried an onside kick, it didn't work, Boise passed for a TD with 27 seconds left in the game.

The rest of the boilerplate in your post has nothing whatever to do with the subject.

Last edited:
Reactions: BIGSTICK67
there are so many unknowns.

* how much desire is there to have more conference realignment? is there really a push for 4 power conferences, where the 4 winners are in the College football playoff?

* Is Texas happy? Is Oklahoma? If they are, they probably keeps the Big 12 intact, I would think.

* when the current TV deals expire, what will the next contracts look like? Will ESPN still be struggling? Who will bid? how low will the bids be? If the bids come in low, schools suddenly have to re-do their budgets. This is why if you want to improve facilities, now probably is the time because who knows what the future holds when it comes to revenue streams.
I am the last person in the world to predict what's going to happen. I am still stunned that the Big Ten expanded to include Penn State. Everything is driven by money now, specifically TV money, and I know nothing whatever about that factor.

Wow LC. That is the work of people like PyschoTwins. What was the Iowa score at halftime? So they lost. At least we get to BCS games. Once again, for the third time. In 120 years, how many bowl games has ISU won, what is the best Bowl win, and how many top 25 finishes? My God, why do ISU fans get off on Iowa losing a couple BCS games (won one as well) when most years you and your team are on the couch come Bowl season in a crappy conference? Seriously, that is sad.

Really? Shelled?
10-10 at half and we messed up a first and goal right before half.

God your an idiot.
You know you guys keep saying that, no doubt in your hope for self preservation. You do realize as these articles and opinions keep surfacing from the movers and shakers in the tech world, (these are NOT Hawk fans saying this stuff). Just look at how much viewing habits , and options have changed in the last two or three years. You can bet that by 2025, the way sports is viewed won't be anything like what we see now. Hold on Clone fans. There's a new wind blowing, and it's NOT a Cyclone.........;)

Reactions: wanderer85
You know you guys keep saying that, no doubt in your hope for self preservation. You do realize as these articles and opinions keep surfacing from the movers and shakers in the tech world, (these are NOT Hawk fans saying this stuff). Just look at how much viewing habits , and options have changed in the last two or three years. You can bet that by 2025, the way sports is viewed won't be anything like what we see now. Hold on Clone fans. There's a new wind blowing, and it's NOT a Cyclone.........;)
I am pretty sure that eyes and markets will still drive college football regardless of the media players. That won't change regardless of opinion. That puts Iowa and Iowa State in the same boat.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT