ADVERTISEMENT

Big 12 Next?

His Hawkness

HR All-American
Gold Member
May 5, 2003
Heard there is a 5 p.m. meeting to discuss fall sports.

Sources tell
@ByPatForde
and I that the Big 12 - the linchpin in today's events - is very much "split" on a decision.

A small group wants to cancel, a small group wants to play, a larger group wants to delay(SEC start).

ADs meet today and then ADs & presidents meet jointly around 6 ET.

Sources tell
@ByPatForde
and I that the Big 12 - the linchpin in today's events - is very much "split" on a decision.

A small group wants to cancel, a small group wants to play, a larger group wants to delay(SEC start).

Hard call but I'd guess they will follow where the SEC's headed...the two league's have been in close communication along with the ACC.

Hard call but I'd guess they will follow where the SEC's headed...the two league's have been in close communication along with the ACC.

I think the Big 12 is the key to the whole thing. If they fold, then the others will follow. I think the Big 12 elects to move the season back like the SEC, but eventually will punt to the spring and the SEC and ACC will end up doing the same.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
I’m guessing they’ll play. Say what you will about the Big 12 being an overrated conference, they will probably at least have the nads to play.

And the Big 10 will be on the outside looking in.

The kids are actually safer from Covid if the season goes forward. Right now they are in a bubble, monitored daily, tested every few days, and relentlessly preached at by coaches on personal safety. Cancel the season and these kids are running around all over campus and at home with minimal health checks and monitoring. Further, the risk of any long term effects on healthy under 25's is lower than the threat from H1N1 and other flu viruses. So yes, I'm hoping the Big 12, SEC and ACC go ahead and play...and I'm VERY disappointed I won't get to watch any Big Ten football this season (which I do love).

If I had to guess, SEC/ACC/Big 12 start in mid to late September and get in a full season. It won't always be pretty, but it will lock in the TV contracts AND keep the kids safer. Just my opinion of course.

Reactions: EpenesaEpenesa
The kids are actually safer from Covid if the season goes forward. Right now they are in a bubble, monitored daily, tested every few days, and relentlessly preached at by coaches on personal safety. Cancel the season and these kids are running around all over campus and at home with minimal health checks and monitoring. Further, the risk of any long term effects on healthy under 25's is lower than the threat from H1N1 and other flu viruses. So yes, I'm hoping the Big 12, SEC and ACC go ahead and play...and I'm VERY disappointed I won't get to watch any Big Ten football this season (which I do love).

If I had to guess, SEC/ACC/Big 12 start in mid to late September and get in a full season. It won't always be pretty, but it will lock in the TV contracts AND keep the kids safer. Just my opinion of course.

You are correct on the first part and I hope you are right on the second part.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
I think we're all VERY disappointed but the real story will be what happens if a few student athletes get sick and possibly die on teams and leagues that choose to play. Will there be legal issues. Yes, I realize athletes die every year from other things but this is a different circumstance and time. Gonna be interesting to see what happens to the rest of c CF.

Well, with or without football its likely that a "few" student athletes will get sick. The question is "Are they any more likely to get sick if they play football as opposed to just being students?"

Here's on good medical commentary on the issue:
https://www.espn.com/college-footba...xpert-says-fall-football-season-played-safely
"We believe we can mitigate it down to a level that makes everyone safe," Wolfe told The Daily. "Can we safely have two teams meet on the field? I would say yes. Will it be tough? Yes. Will it be expensive and hard and lots of work? For sure. But I do believe you can sufficiently mitigate the risk of bringing COVID onto the football field or into the training room at a level that's no different than living as a student on campus."

Sources tell
@ByPatForde

First time in forever the Big 12 was considered the "linchpin" in any discussion.

If UT and OU want to play the league probably plays.

Also, the SEC wants them to hold out for fall play. The SEC relationship to the Big 12 is huge with the Sugar Bowl. The Big 12 doesn't want the SEC to ever decide they want to play the ACC champion as an opponent in the future. Its about a $20M annual difference between the Sugar and Orange bowl I believe.

I think we're all VERY disappointed but the real story will be what happens if a few student athletes get sick and possibly die on teams and leagues that choose to play. Will there be legal issues. Yes, I realize athletes die every year from other things but this is a different circumstance and time. Gonna be interesting to see what happens to the rest of c CF.
You do realize that as of last Thursday, the CDC was reporting total deaths from COVID for the age group 15 - 24 was a whopping 225, out of 140,000? First, do the math - then consider that this is ALL cases, not deaths among college athletes...

Yes, it is a possibility, but even to say it is small would be overstating the reality.

https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisional-COVID-19-Death-Counts-by-Sex-Age-and-S/9bhg-hcku

Honestly I hope some of the conferences play to show the Big10 what a mistake they’ve made. I’ll even root for ISU this year if they play.
Bite your tongue sir! Forty lashes with a wet noodle as well for you! Could never, ever, ever, ever, ever root for clowns...

You do realize that as of last Thursday, the CDC was reporting total deaths from COVID for the age group 15 - 24 was a whopping 225, out of 140,000? First, do the math - then consider that this is ALL cases, not deaths among college athletes...

Yes, it is a possibility, but even to say it is small would be overstating the reality.

https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisional-COVID-19-Death-Counts-by-Sex-Age-and-S/9bhg-hcku
I understand and agree with what you're saying and like everyone else, I'm extremely disappointed. But all in takes is a death or two for everything to blow up. It's being reported by the B1G that they consulted medical and legal opinions before making this decision.

And, considering that the U.S represents only around 4% of the total world population and yet has over 25% of total COVID cases, well, I guess it's safe to say we're not handling it very well and the worst is yet to come this autumn and winter. I'm sure all of this entered into their decision. Compare the U.S. COVID stats to the rest of the world.

My point: yes, I'm devastated and pissed that there will be no B1G football but let's also point the finger at not only B1G higher ups but the a-holes in this country who still refuse to wear a mask and think it's a farce. 4% of the world population and 25% of the COVID cases. Insane ! But by God, I'm an a American and have a constitutional right to infect anyone I want.

Playing B1G football might not have been an issue if we had it somewhat under control like some other countries

Last edited:
Or they play 1 or 2 games and it gets shut down and the B1G and Pac10 look really smart.
I could live with it if they give it a go and try their best and still find it impossible and then cancel. But if all of the other sports manage to have a season and we decided on August 11 that it was impossible, that’s going to be a bad look. I’ve heard all of the arguments about why college football is different than the NFL and high school football, etc., but the differences aren’t so great that we have to call it off on August 11 without even trying.

And, considering that the U.S represents only around 4% of the total world population and yet has over 25% of total COVID cases, well, I guess it's safe to say we're not handling it very well and the worst is yet to come this autumn and winter. I'm sure all of this entered into their decision. Compare the U.S. COVID stats to the rest of the world.

That's because the United States has done 60% of all tests taken worldwide...10 times more tests than any country in the world (with exception of India which has less than half as many tests as the U.S.). So yes, we ARE handling it well with extensive testing...and our death rates are better than most of Europe. Its still a huge problem, but that's what Pandemic's are...a nightmare.

But again, and much more importantly, these kids are safer in the program playing football than out on the campus or in their hometowns.That's the fact that should matter most.

I understand and agree with what you're saying and like everyone else, I'm extremely disappointed. But all in takes is a death or two for everything to blow up. It's being reported by the B1G that they consulted medical and legal opinions before making this decision.

My point: yes, I'm devastated and pissed that there will be no B1G football but let's also point the finger at not only B1G higher ups but the a-holes in this country who still refuse to wear a mask and think it's a farce. 4% of the world population and 25% of the COVID cases. Insane ! But by God, I'm an a American and have a constitutional right to infect anyone I want.

Playing B1G football might not have been an issue if we had it somewhat under control like some other countries

You’re very naive if you actually believe the numbers China, the country who has lied to the world from the get go about the virus, has given are even remotely accurate.

Reactions: GolfHacker1
That's because the United States has done 60% of all tests taken worldwide...10 times more tests than any country in the world (with exception of India which has less than half as many tests as the U.S.). So yes, we ARE handling it well with extensive testing...and our death rates are better than most of Europe. Its still a huge problem, but that's what Pandemic's are...a nightmare.

But again, and much more importantly, these kids are safer in the program playing football than out on the campus or in their hometowns.That's the fact that should matter most.
Alright, forget the "testing. " The U.S. - one more time - with 4% of the world's population has nearly 23% of the total world deaths. Of course it was a "hoax" from the very beginning and would be gone by the summer. And BTW, the recent talk has not been the U.S banning EU travelers but the other way around.

I was at the grocery store over the weekend and some lady was raising hell - as I was checking out - about not letting her in without a mask. She was screaming loud.

God Bless America - where I have the right to do whatever I feel like and don't you dare screw with me. Like I said, we'd be playing B1G football this Fall if only......,....

We should all be hoping the other 3 conferences do play and play without a shut down. That will force the B1G's hand in the spring.

As much as I want to believe they will play in the Spring I don’t believe it at all. I get it that it’s not 100% certain that the other leagues and the NFL will complete full seasons this fall. But how dumb are we going to look if they pull off even a half season and we don’t even try. Lots of people doubted the NBA and MLB and they haven’t been perfect but they haven’t been disasters either. I’m so disappointed we gave up without even trying.

Alright, forget the "testing. " The U.S. - one more time - with 4% of the world's population has nearly 23% of the total world deaths. Of course it was a "hoax" from the very beginning and would be gone by the summer. And BTW, the recent talk has not been the U.S banning EU travelers but the other way around.

I was at the grocery store over the weekend and some lady was raising hell - as I was checking out - about not letting her in without a mask. She was screaming loud.

God Bless America - where I have the right to do whatever I feel like and don't you dare screw with me. Like I said, we'd be playing B1G football this Fall if only......,....

It was never a hoax, nor was it claimed to be one. The media’s coverage of it was wildly inaccurate and hoax-y...so that much WAS true. And that’s all that was claimed. Heck, folks like Gov Cuomo and Pelosi were calling for parades and cultural events to go forward ... and we’re outraged when, early on in a gutsy call, travel from China and...and shortly after...Europe, was banned. They declared it unnecessary and xenophobic if you recall.

But all of that is flufff anyway as it relates to play or not play for football. Kids are safer as part of their organized team activities...less so out in the general public. It’s really hard to argue otherwise.

Reactions: Mountain Man Hawk
ADVERTISEMENT