ADVERTISEMENT

Big 12 voted this evening to move forward

There are, of course, no guarantees. But this vote fits with all the “insider” chatter at several Big 12 sites...that being that nearly all of the schools want to go forward and play..and are committed to making it happen.

I guess I'll actually be following Iowa State this year. Who else would I care to pull for from any of these other conferences? At least they're in my home state. This is so 2020.

Reactions: unclesammy
It doesn't mean that they'll play all of those games. It means as of today they are voting to move forward. The Big 10 didn't need to cancel today, but they did.

The decision to cancel was very knee jerk and caught many off guard. No reason to do it now. The fact Warren and those who voted yes can't even explain the decision or justify why now or the fact they kept so many in the dark is extremely odd. Very poor leadership in this decision that affects many lives.

the powers that be here in austin are making rumblings about not allowing football in austin. at least the fans anyway. if they can ban acl and sxsw they can ban this. there is talk of playing in jerry's world maybe

I doubt they will make it to 9 games. Then they will look like idiots

I guess I'll actually be following Iowa State this year. Who else would I care to pull for from any of these other conferences? At least they're in my home state. This is so 2020.

I hear ya. I’m in Georgia so I guess I’m pulling for the Bulldogs this year. Wife is an alum. How does this sound....warms up vocal chords....SEC SEC SEC!! lol. Ugh it just sounds terrible.

Reactions: TouchdownMyPants
Why would they look like idiots by trying to play football?
Football isn't going to raise or lower any percentage for any age group. I guess the fact that they would not be testing players weekly, conceivably could lower the numbers?

What if they make it to 5-6 games and no one dies... isn't that better than 0 games?At least they tried. I don't want to hear this fear of myocarditis crap. The Mayo clinic says it's bulls#it and the nba mlb and soccer leagues aren't worried about it.

What if they make it to 5-6 games and no one dies... isn't that better than 0 games?At least they tried. I don't want to hear this fear of myocarditis crap. The Mayo clinic says it's bulls#it and the nba mlb and soccer leagues aren't worried about it.

Yes, I do not get the people who say they shouldn't even try. They have protocols in place. They may not be able to finish the season. But we aren't even going to try? Why in the world did the Big 10 create the protocols back in June? It seems the decision was made way back then and the last 2 months were just for show. Once the age stratified data came out that said from a statistical standpoint college age kids are at no danger of dying from COVID the argument now is that we don't know about the long-term lung damage. By this standard, football should never have been played, ever, as something could happen that we don't know the answer to in the future.

Yes, I do not get the people who say they shouldn't even try. They have protocols in place. They may not be able to finish the season. But we aren't even going to try? Why in the world did the Big 10 create the protocols back in June? It seems the decision was made way back then and the last 2 months were just for show. Once the age stratified data came out that said from a statistical standpoint college age kids are at no danger of dying from COVID the argument now is that we don't know about the long-term lung damage. By this standard, football should never have been played, ever, as something could happen that we don't know the answer to in the future.

Yep,the freakn' BIG 10 just made these players less safe. Go big 12, ACC and SEC I hope you do great.

So what happens if the season goes similar to the mlb season where some teams have no issues and some have massive outbreaks? Lets say by mid oct some schools have played 5 games and others only 2 and they decide to pull the plug. Does the NCAA pretend the season never happened? Do all players get an extra year of eligibility? Do only teams that didn't play get an extra year? Will teams that play 4-5 games this year not be permitted to play in the spring? With half the schools playing (so far) and half not, it could lead to some interesting decisions to have to be made vs if every conference was all in agreement on how to proceed with the season

But but but that former FSU player who's been out of college for a few years now died from it....................

It doesn't mean that they'll play all of those games. It means as of today they are voting to move forward. The Big 10 didn't need to cancel today, but they did.
Correct. Jamie Pollard has said in an interview that no matter what the plan turns out to be, it is likely to change -- games that are scheduled will be canceled or delayed depending upon the result of weekly testing.

We're still a long way from seeing a kickoff.

Reactions: kceasthawk
Correct. Jamie Pollard has said in an interview that no matter what the plan turns out to be, it is likely to change -- games that are scheduled will be canceled or delayed depending upon the result of weekly testing.

yes and as soon as one player or coach gets tested positive then it's all over

Why should one positive "end" the season? Especially if its non or minimally symptomatic. Heck, odds are higher you'll have more kids get this WITHOUT football being played...this way, you catch it early, have solid tracing, and minimize the outbreak. Without football, these healthy kids get it asymptomatically...spread it all over the place as they aren't being tested, monitored or isolated...and off goes a localized outbreak. Having football IS the best way to keep these kids safe from this pandemic...but its never going to be 100% nor should that impossible standard BE the standard. And I'd dare say, its not the standard conferences will be going by.

There are still challenges with this process and the season may yet come unraveled...something a few people seem to be rooting for. But...deciding this far out not to even try...and to put the kids further at risk by throwing them out of the athletic "bubble" makes zero medical sense.

Reactions: Ldgator

They're a long way from kickoff, but I see no reason whey they wont get there. These kids are basically in a bubble right now at camp with trainers, health officials, etc...........They have plans in place and are already executing them and have been all summer with workouts. Once games start, we might see changes, but I see no reason why they wouldnt kick off in the fall.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
Big 12 will go down as well. It is just a matter of time. Remember, Big Ten was first to cancel non con as well. Big 12 was like "screw that, we are playing all games". Pollard went as far as to schedule another game to replace Iowa only to have their non con cancelled very shortly after that.

The other conferences now really have to worry about liability for any negative outcomes for players that get covid.

Big 12 will go down as well. It is just a matter of time. Remember, Big Ten was first to cancel non con as well. Big 12 was like "screw that, we are playing all games". Pollard went as far as to schedule another game to replace Iowa only to have their non con cancelled very shortly after that.
I think this is a horse of a different color.
The Big 12 never established a protocol on schedules and schools were free to explore options.

If the SEC and ACC are going to play the Big 12 will side with them.

Will see what the schedules look like. I don't think they can do the 9+1 given they are running out of teams to play.

Lastly Texas and OU run that conference, and there is always concern by the other members of them looking elsewhere.

If they want to play the league will want to play.

I hear the vote was 10-0 to play in the Big 12. So right now they are going to try, whether they succeed that is a different question.

Saying that professional sports aren’t worried about it is completely false. I took part in many of the conversations about the Walt Disney World bubble and the NBA is not taking this lightly. There’s a reason why the NBA is the only one to occupy an entire sports complex at Disney and their practice courts are in the convention centers at the resorts, completely off limits to anyone outside of the bubble.

The other conferences now really have to worry about liability for any negative outcomes for players that get covid.

Just as there is liability for shutting down the continuous monitoring, Covid testing, and oversight that was part of the seasonal preparation process...tossing a kid back into the student population or sending him home increases his risk...when the school could have maintained a safe bubble...is also actionable.

Reactions: millhawk
Just as there is liability for shutting down the continuous monitoring, Covid testing, and oversight that was part of the seasonal preparation process...tossing a kid back into the student population or sending him home increases his risk...when the school could have maintained a safe bubble...is also actionable.

Who says they won't still be being tested? They will be. Especially because I think they are still going to be doing workouts. Also they aren't tossing them back into the student pop. They were never out of the student pop.

David, you have no idea what the protocols will be without a football season...nor even what the practice schedule will look like. It will most certainly result in reduced contact between staff/admin at these schools as it officially becomes "off season"...and that means less monitoring and oversight. Its highly unlikely they'll be spending the $22,500 or so dollars per week they would during the season...to test each player weekly...which is evidently the plan/cost the Big 12 and other conferences are looking at.

In similar and just as relevant news, I voted last night to move forward and personally bang all the Kardashian sisters before the end of the year. These plans are fluid, however, and may change depending on a number of factors.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
In similar and just as relevant news, I voted last night to move forward and personally bang all the Kardashian sisters before the end of the year. These plans are fluid, however, and may change depending on a number of factors.
Hey now, watch those fluids around the K sisters...:p

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT