ADVERTISEMENT

Big 3 for next year

hawksense

HR MVP
Jan 16, 2002
The NBA does this Big 3 thing. Who are our Big 3 hopefuls for next year? And would the supporting cast be adequate? Throw in a sixth man candidate while youre at it.

Big 3 could look different if we get Aimaq. But smart money says that Perkins, Patrick and Kris would be our Big 3 with Sandfort as our 6th man.
Kris and Patrick I hope will be in that 15-19 ppg range each. Hope Perkins continues to improve--if he develops his 3 point jump shot that will only make him more tough to guard since he's so dynamic off the dribble.

My prediction is the scoring will be more balanced this year--that will especially be true if we land Aimaq.

My prediction is the scoring will be more balanced this year--that will especially be true if we land Aimaq.
I suspect you are correct. That said, I think it’s interesting that through most of the Fran era, we’ve almost always had a dominant scorer — guys like Keegan, Garza, White, Jok, Uthoff, Gatens, etc. (Not coincidentally, most of those guys were first-team All-B1G.) In fact, I think the only years when we’ve had a more balanced attack is when Cook, Bohannon, and Garza played together.

Big 3 could look different if we get Aimaq. But smart money says that Perkins, Patrick and Kris would be our Big 3 with Sandfort as our 6th man.
Kris and Patrick I hope will be in that 15-19 ppg range each. Hope Perkins continues to improve--if he develops his 3 point jump shot that will only make him more tough to guard since he's so dynamic off the dribble.

I just don't see us landing Aimaq ...(competing against Arizona and Texas among others) ...but I like Jake Stephens a lot and feel he could provide just as much impact in Fran's system.

I just don't see us landing Aimaq ...(competing against Arizona and Texas among others) ...but I like Jake Stephens a lot and feel he could provide just as much impact in Fran's system.
Think it's down to us, Tech, Houston, and Washington for Aimaq. Tom said he talked with someone last night that said Iowa is in a really good spot with him but there is a concern that someone comes in with a major NIL deal.
Stephens is a complete unknown as to where we are right now.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye

Perkins shot %32 from 3 so its not like he was bad.

He tried step back and off balanced shots too often IMO, when he shot with his feet set he was decent.

Reactions: Packer54
I suspect you are correct. That said, I think it’s interesting that through most of the Fran era, we’ve almost always had a dominant scorer — guys like Keegan, Garza, White, Jok, Uthoff, Gatens, etc. (Not coincidentally, most of those guys were first-team All-B1G.) In fact, I think the only years when we’ve had a more balanced attack is when Cook, Bohannon, and Garza played together.
I expect Kris to be the go to guy next year.

He just needs to get a little stronger and a little more confident and he won't be much different than Keegan was this year.

Think it's down to us, Tech, Houston, and Washington for Aimaq. Tom said he talked with someone last night that said Iowa is in a really good spot with him but there is a concern that someone comes in with a major NIL deal.
Stephens is a complete unknown as to where we are right now.
And Iowa was not going to try that?

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
And Iowa was not going to try that?
The way Fran talked in the radio interview he did last week, it seemed like most of the NIL money is being funneled towards football. I'd hope donors come in with some nice offers for him, but I have no idea what they even have available.

Do people think the schools are the ones funding NIL stuff? It's donors and businesses--I know Iowa is working on getting a collective together like many other schools have. But most of the NIL deals we're discussing is like Arkansas getting players in contact with the Waltons and Tyson. Money doesn't magically grow on trees--it has to come from somewhere.

The way Fran talked in the radio interview he did last week, it seemed like most of the NIL money is being funneled towards football. I'd hope donors come in with some nice offers for him, but I have no idea what they even have available.

Do people think the schools are the ones funding NIL stuff? It's donors and businesses--I know Iowa is working on getting a collective together like many other schools have. But most of the NIL deals we're discussing is like Arkansas getting players in contact with the Waltons and Tyson. Money doesn't magically grow on trees--it has to come from somewhere.
For cripesake who sponsors the court in CHA? I’m pretty sure they have deep pockets.

It's too bad there are so few locally owned big businesses in Iowa. You could go to a Wallace or any of the Pioneer family and come away with real big money in the good old days.

I think we will have a big four Kris, P Mac, Tony and Payton. The rest of the team is good enough to qualify for the round of 64.

Last edited:
Reactions: hawksense
For cripesake who sponsors the court in CHA? I’m pretty sure they have deep pockets.
Call them up and tell them to cut Fardaws a deal? I don't know what else to tell you. Tom talked about it in his podcast this week--there's a collective getting started but there is a significant booster population that wants nothing to do with paying players.

Some people want to blame Fran or Kirk for this, but I really think they'll utilize whatever is available to them. They both have mentioned that this "Is what it is" and recognize things have changed.

I don't know what people think.

I know the program now needs to be facilitating players getting paid.

Start a charatible foundation to hide transactions like all the politicians do.

Whatever it takes, that's the game now.

Charge a dollar more for tickets. Pass a collection basket during the games. Call the ice cream stands, NIL ice cream and expediate the service so we sell more/faster. I got a million of them.

• Haha
Reactions: BBHawk
Perkins shot %32 from 3 so its not like he was bad.

He tried step back and off balanced shots too often IMO, when he shot with his feet set he was decent.
If he develops the 3 a bit more he is going to be a lot to handle as his ability to drive is very good and he has that physical side to him. If he can drop some 3s the driving opens up even more for him.

ADVERTISEMENT