ADVERTISEMENT

BIG Championship game-meaningless?

hawkjt

HR Legend
Feb 14, 2004
As we debate the value of non-playoff bowl games I wonder about the value of BIG championship games with the new configuration of the league.

Putting aside the money it generates for the league, with the 12 team playoff setup, making the playoff becomes every schools primary goal.

Next year say OSU goes 12-0 with a bunch of teams scrambling for that 2nd slot in the title game.
So Iowa finishes 10-2(7-2) and wins the tiebreak with PSU and Oregon....then loses to OSU...and miss the playoff. It's stupid and could cost the BIG playoff slots.

Just have OSU be the champ as proven over 9 games.
In that scenario what will Iowa have to show for a strong season...no playoff..no division title.

Maybe this is temporary til the league adds 2 or more schools and they go to divisions..I hope so.

As we debate the value of non-playoff bowl games I wonder about the value of BIG championship games with the new configuration of the league.

Putting aside the money it generates for the league, with the 12 team playoff setup, making the playoff becomes every schools primary goal.

Next year say OSU goes 12-0 with a bunch of teams scrambling for that 2nd slot in the title game.
So Iowa finishes 10-2(7-2) and wins the tiebreak with PSU and Oregon....then loses to OSU...and miss the playoff. It's stupid and could cost the BIG playoff slots.

In that scenario what will Iowa have to show for a strong season...no playoff..no division title.

Maybe this is temporary til the league adds 2 or more schools and they go to divisions..I hope so.
10-3 in next year's B10 gets you in the playoffs...11-2 with a win over a previously undefeated tOSU gets you a higher seed...probably a home game in the 1st round

Well, if we have the tiebreaker over Penn State and Oregon, who would be passing the B10 runnerup?

Not anyone from the B10........

There's a lot of variables that could play a part in your scenario as well.

At 10-2, was Iowa really the 16th best team in the country this year?

F*** no.

I'd argue we probably didn't deserve to be ranked because of our offense and schedule, but that's another story.

But we were ranked that high because the CFP likes to have matchups that feature ranked opponents, particularly to help the higher ranked teams get a better matchup (on paper).

Joel Klatt had a nice breakdown on this working theory and Iowa was one such beneficiary of a boosted CFP ranking (higher than say the AP or Coaches poll).

The point being, rankings can and will be manipulated regardless, and we typically don't put ourselves in the best light to begin with (hopefully that changes with the offense next year), so if we ever get passed over by another team in your scenario (assuming our offense doesn't improve much at all) ............we will have to share some of the blame.

Last edited:
At 10-2 or 10-3, Iowa won’t sniff the play offs if they don’t have an offense that is worthy of being in the play offs. The CFP committee wants the prettiest teams in this contest and if KF continues to trot out less than entertaining offenses, Iowa will be bypassed by the committee for another team that has the ability to score points.

Yes, defense wins championships but you’ve got to have an offense that can actually move the ball down the field and score touchdowns. Iowa is no where near that right now due to KF reverting back to 1.0 for some unknown reason with basically a lifetime contract till 2029.

I don't know why some posters like to use the word "meaningless" or "irrelevant" when describing bowl games, and now the B1G Championship. It's as though the only games that matter are the playoffs and games that can get you into the playoff.

Well, in the world today, college football is meaningless. It's just guys playing a game to determine a winner.

So, the games are played for the players, the fans, prestige, bragging rights, pride, teamwork, entertainment, and of course, money.

I want to see a B1G Championship game. I want to see Iowa play Iowa State, and play in a bowl game. I want to watch to college football teams struggle to win games that are very meaningful to them - so much so that there is joy and heartbreak after the game - players, coaches and fans.

I don't want college football to become college basketball, where winning and losing games or even conference championships become "meh", until the Dance.

I don’t think people understand how this is going to go. I would be willing to bet teams like Iowa wouldn’t make the playoff at 10-2.

What you’re going to see is there will be the ND’s, PSU’s, Oregon’s, Florida etc of the world who might be 9-3 or 8-4 but will be pushed into spots 10-12 every year.

It’s still a popularity contest.

I don’t know what the answer is, but I personally was fine with the old system….if a couple of teams got to claim different “national championship” awards….who cares? It’s historically ALWAYS been that way in college football.

This playoff thing is just a money grab. Pure and simple, it and these NIL collectives are ruining the sport. If I wanted to watch the NFL I would.

They will keep playing it because of money. Will teams be able to opt out if they wish? Could we see a 5-7 Gopher team in the BTCG?

Unless OSU gets a QB, there is zero chance they are going undefeated.
And losing Harrison Jr. Huge loss.

They should have offered Phil P about $10 mill a year to be their DC. I am not sold on the one they have that came from Okie State.

At 10-2 or 10-3, Iowa won’t sniff the play offs if they don’t have an offense that is worthy of being in the play offs. The CFP committee wants the prettiest teams in this contest and if KF continues to trot out less than entertaining offenses, Iowa will be bypassed by the committee for another team that has the ability to score points.

Yes, defense wins championships but you’ve got to have an offense that can actually move the ball down the field and score touchdowns. Iowa is no where near that right now due to KF reverting back to 1.0 for some unknown reason with basically a lifetime contract till 2029.
This, I pointed out this year with 1 or 2 losses we weren't even close to getting to #12. This Offense has to take a step forward. I predict IF our offense is yet again awful combined with a BIG Champ loss with us finishing 10-3 we get left out.

This, I pointed out this year with 1 or 2 losses we weren't even close to getting to #12. This Offense has to take a step forward. I predict IF our offense is yet again awful combined with a BIG Champ loss with us finishing 10-3 we get left out.
Then opt out and stay 10-2. Opting out is all the rage!

Reactions: ButtersHawk

Cash is king.

Reactions: 250vertical
Iowa played two good teams and got zero points. Not a playoff team and will not be one until it gets at least a semi-effective offense. Deep down I think the new OC has to work or Iowa will move on from KF.
You won't know for a couple of years with a new OC, and really by that time Kirk is probably much more ready to take up mowing the lawn full time.

Iowa played two good teams and got zero points. Not a playoff team and will not be one until it gets at least a semi-effective offense. Deep down I think the new OC has to work or Iowa will move on from KF.
It should also be stated that Penn State and Michigan finished with the top 2 defenses in the nation. Iowa scored against Nebraska (13th), Rutgers (20th), Wiscsonsin (31st), and Northwestern (36th), who all finished higher in team D than Tennessee (40th).

I think Harbaugh is gone. McCarthy and Corum will be gone. I think Mich goes through a rebuild type year or two. I think the only Pac 12 team joining that has a shot at a stellar year in the first year is Oregon. Penn State??? History shows he can't win big games.

I think next year is a little more wide open than people think.

It should also be stated that Penn State and Michigan finished with the top 2 defenses in the nation. Iowa scored against Nebraska (13th), Rutgers (20th), Wiscsonsin (31st), and Northwestern (36th), who all finished higher in team D than Tennessee (40th).
Wanna hear a disgusting stat? Penn St I believe finished 1st at 3.91 yds/play. We at little 'ol Iowa finished 2nd at 3.99 yds/play. .....

Our defense played 210 more snaps than Penn St. Give Phil Kirk's salary.

Reactions: sober_teacher

I'd disagree they wouldn't get in. They may not have an "entertaining" offense, but they were an "entertaining" TV draw. We drew fine this year against some less than inspiring opponents, largely because people wanted to watch especially the second half of the year when the media made it a storyline and Brian was lame ducked (the Dejean screw job didn't hurt either in that regard because everybody covered it and knew it was a terrible call). FSU missed the playoff because they didn't have their starting QB and their defense wasn't a storyline in itself. You think if FSU had the best D in the country that people were interested in (or if Deion was there coach as was mentioned elsewhere) they would've left them out regardless of how many QBs they were down? No chance, because they could've put eyeballs on the product.

I would hope that a 11-1 Iowa that loses in the BIG title game would still make the playoff even if the offense is poor.
That would mean wins over Wash,UCLA, Wis, ISU NW Neb.

If not for the botched call in the gopher loss we would have been 11-1 going to Indy. We would have been in the top 12 easy with that gaudy record but losing to Mich might have knocked us out due to the offensive issues but would be close.
I hope wins are still the major factor in this selection process and not many power 5 teams have 11 wins.
Btw...personally I agree that every game is significant but as mentioned I too find "the Dance is all that matters" in college BB sad but I fear we now enter a new era for college FB that will mimic BB.

Ok..now get off my lawn!

Reactions: UalKoebs
I would hope that a 11-1 Iowa that loses in the BIG title game would still make the playoff even if the offense is poor.
That would mean wins over Wash,UCLA, Wis, ISU NW Neb.

If not for the botched call in the gopher loss we would have been 11-1 going to Indy. We would have been in the top 12 easy with that gaudy record but losing to Mich might have knocked us out due to the offensive issues but would be close.
I hope wins are still the major factor in this selection process and not many power 5 teams have 11 wins.
Btw...personally I agree that every game is significant but as mentioned I too find "the Dance is all that matters" in college BB sad but I fear we now enter a new era for college FB that will mimic BB.

Ok..now get off my lawn!
I get the point of being close to #12 by the end of the year if we beat MN but we were #24 when we played MN.
Its just another example of this offense dragging this program down.

College football is a game played by semi-professional 18-25 year olds. Give it whatever meaning you want.

I'm all for the 12 team playoff. No surprise that it took this long, but it's finally here and I say great.
There will always be an argument about who gets the last spot. But, I highly doubt that the #13 team vs the #12 team who got in will have anything close to the argument that florida state, georgia or tosu have for getting left out this year.

Reactions: ichawk24
I'm interested to know how the new playoff rules affect KF's contract stipulations?

I think KF is happy to finish 8-4 every season going forward.

He knows PP's defense can get him there every season.

I see no incentive to change the approach to offense and also don't believe Kirk wants this offensive explosion next year because it will make BF's results in the past even more pathetic.
Iowa isn't sniffing the playoffs.

I'm interested to know how the new playoff rules affect KF's contract stipulations?

I think KF is happy to finish 8-4 every season going forward.

He knows PP's defense can get him there every season.

I see no incentive to change the approach to offense and also don't believe Kirk wants this offensive explosion next year because it will make BF's results in the past even more pathetic.
Iowa isn't sniffing the playoffs.
Your hatred of KF is out of control.
You actually believe he does not want to win 12 games going forward because it make Brian look bad? That he is going to somehow orchestrate just enough offense to win 8 games but not 9 or ten?
That is flat out stupid, man.

I don't know why some posters like to use the word "meaningless" or "irrelevant" when describing bowl games, and now the B1G Championship. It's as though the only games that matter are the playoffs and games that can get you into the playoff.

Well, in the world today, college football is meaningless. It's just guys playing a game to determine a winner.

So, the games are played for the players, the fans, prestige, bragging rights, pride, teamwork, entertainment, and of course, money.

I want to see a B1G Championship game. I want to see Iowa play Iowa State, and play in a bowl game. I want to watch to college football teams struggle to win games that are very meaningful to them - so much so that there is joy and heartbreak after the game - players, coaches and fans.

I don't want college football to become college basketball, where winning and losing games or even conference championships become "meh", until the Dance.
Very good take..No bowl games WILL render a good portion of regular season games meaningless for MOST college football teams as they will not have a league championship nor the possibility of being a playoff team to play for. Bowl games give most every team something to play for. Hell, even Nebraska had a shot at a bowl game right up until their last game. Most teams in the bowl games I have watched are pretty damn excited to be playing, regardless of how many of their team mates have abandoned them.

Your hatred of KF is out of control.
You actually believe he does not want to win 12 games going forward because it make Brian look bad? That he is going to somehow orchestrate just enough offense to win 8 games but not 9 or ten?
That is flat out stupid, man.
KF doesn't get Iowa to anything.

His career has been riding the coattails of Norm and Phil.
Granted he hired them, but Iowa has always depended on the defense.

• Haha
Reactions: pistachio1999
Not denying the offense has stunk the last 3 years. That's on KF.
But it's like the old Dodgers of the koufax era...pitching and defense with little offense still won WS.

You have to credit KF for leadership in the program overall that has led to more wins than the 10 teams in the league not named Mich OSU or PSU over 24 years.

Schiano at RU is being celebrated for getting to 7-6 this year. rightfully so, cuz it is hard to make bowls and win them when you are not a glamour team. He does it with KF ball..blocked punt, running game and defense beat Miami yesterday, snapping an 11 game losing streak to Canes.

You have a point but I disagree that KF gets Iowa nothing.
Ten other league teams would kill for what KF gets Iowa.

Reactions: ichawk24

With the expanded playoff,it makes no sense to play a league championship game. OSU and Michigan probably play twice back to back. One wins the first matchup,then the other wins the 2nd..a possibility. All hell breaks loose on who gets the higher seed in the playoff. Then there is the wear and tear on the athletes that could get hurt in a 'meaningless game' ,then there is the extra travel expense that impacts the fans. Whats the upside to the league championship games?

Reactions: Iron Doc
Not denying the offense has stunk the last 3 years. That's on KF.
But it's like the old Dodgers of the koufax era...pitching and defense with little offense still won WS.

You have to credit KF for leadership in the program overall that has led to more wins than the 10 teams in the league not named Mich OSU or PSU over 24 years.

Schiano at RU is being celebrated for getting to 7-6 this year. rightfully so, cuz it is hard to make bowls and win them when you are not a glamour team. He does it with KF ball..blocked punt, running game and defense beat Miami yesterday, snapping an 11 game losing streak to Canes.

You have a point but I disagree that KF gets Iowa nothing.
Ten other league teams would kill for what KF gets Iowa.
Plus Ruckers has to play those 3 teams and had to play at Wiscy and Iowa. That was a ****ing tough schedule.

With the expanded playoff,it makes no sense to play a league championship game. OSU and Michigan probably play twice back to back. One wins the first matchup,then the other wins the 2nd..a possibility. All hell breaks loose on who gets the higher seed in the playoff. Then there is the wear and tear on the athletes that could get hurt in a 'meaningless game' ,then there is the extra travel expense that impacts the fans. Whats the upside to the league championship games?
$$$$$$$$$. That’s the only reason.

Going to find out a lot of things next season in terms of how the playoff field is selected.

Going to be very interesting.

College football is a game played by semi-professional 18-25 year olds. Give it whatever meaning you want.

I'm all for the 12 team playoff. No surprise that it took this long, but it's finally here and I say great.
There will always be an argument about who gets the last spot. But, I highly doubt that the #13 team vs the #12 team who got in will have anything close to the argument that florida state, georgia or tosu have for getting left out this year.
FSU is easily in the 12 team play off if it is held this year. Iowa is not.

FSU got held out of the play off this year due to losing their starting qb at 12-0. Iowa has a horrible offense and gets laughed at nationally on a daily, weekly, every Saturday game day basis so there is no comparison between FSU and Iowa. It would be the same kind of result with Michigan or PSU if they played. FSU would wear Iowa down and score points, enough to win. Iowa wouldn’t sniff the goal line vs FSU.

And losing Harrison Jr. Huge loss.

They should have offered Phil P about $10 mill a year to be their DC. I am not sold on the one they have that came from Okie State.
Why are you doubting their DC?

They were higher rated than us in both Total Defense and Scoring Defense this year. While likely playing a tougher schedule.

What? B10/SEC champs will likely get a first round bye under the new 12 team format. That's a huge incentive to win your championship game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT