ADVERTISEMENT

Big crash at the British GP

SSG T

HR Legend
Jul 10, 2002
Saw the start, they were showing the leaders through the 1st 2 corners, then I saw cars going through the gravel trap in the background. 1st thing I noticed "Wait, was that car upside down?"

Then I saw the replays

BTW, the driver is Zhou Guanyu. He's at the Medical Treatment Facility, but apparently is ok.

Also, his car nearly launched off the edge of the tires and nearly over the catch fence.

Twice today. This was earlier in an F2 race

Wow. And the halo on the car that was hit was fully intact.

The engineering is incredible. I remember seeing the Leclerc hit and thinking the same thing.
1000537.jpg

Reactions: SSG T
That race is easily the best race in a long while. The story lines were amazing. also **** max. How he hasn’t been penalized yet for trying to run Mick off multiple times in the last couple laps is stupid. FIA protecting their golden boy per usual.

I'll be honest, I don't have a problem with Max. Christian Horner, however, is the single most unlikable person in sports. Everything is either smarmy (when he's winning) or whining (when he's not). Nothing is ever just "matter of fact" with him, he always has to give a shot to someone.

He's been that way as long as I can remember. He's very good at his job, but he's a turd. And honestly, I think he rubs off on his driver's, especially the #1s. Vettel was kind of that way at Red Bull, as is Max. Seb left and he might be the most likeable person on the grid.

It was a great race. Hamilton hosed by a safety car...again.

Why Hamilton dropped the appeal last year I will never understand.

I hope this isn't his last year -- would be a sad way to go out with a bad car (I think he has a 2023 contract though).

Let the Silver Arrows get the car right next year, and let's see if he can get the 8th.

I hope this isn't his last year -- would be a sad way to go out with a bad car (I think he has a 2023 contract though).

Let the Silver Arrows get the car right next year, and let's see if he can get the 8th.
Honestly, with the improvements in safety, sticking around seems a lot more doable.

It’s a hard diet/workout regime and driving is hard on your body, but the crash risk isn’t what it was when Hakkinen got out of the game.

Reactions: St. Louis Hawk
I'll be honest, I don't have a problem with Max. Christian Horner, however, is the single most unlikable person in sports. Everything is either smarmy (when he's winning) or whining (when he's not). Nothing is ever just "matter of fact" with him, he always has to give a shot to someone.

He's been that way as long as I can remember. He's very good at his job, but he's a turd. And honestly, I think he rubs off on his driver's, especially the #1s. Vettel was kind of that way at Red Bull, as is Max. Seb left and he might be the most likeable person on the grid.
I agree on Horner. Max’s dad is also a trash influence too. Sucks that Ferrari is absolute garbage at managing a team otherwise we might have another decent driver/constructors battle. Sadly max and rb will run away.

I doubt it's his last year, I'd bet at least one more. And while it isn't quite there yet, the car is much improved from the 1st few races. Before the safety car, Hamilton was the fastest car on the track, and probably would have won, he was reeling the Ferraris in pretty quickly.

Reactions: St. Louis Hawk
Hamilton and LeClerc were both saved from at least serious injuries by the halo, which a lot of people hated when it was first introduced after Jules Bianchi died in 2015 (from injuries from an accident at Suzuka in 2014)

Hamilton/Verstappen at Monza
GettyImages-1235210988.jpg

LeClerc/Alonso at Spa

Charles_Leclerc_and_Fernando_Alonso.jpeg

Edited, because auto correct likes to make LeClerc into LeClair

Reactions: mnole03
Mark Gallagher spoke at our business retreat this year. The total commitment that F1 has made to safety is just extraordinary.
And it saved the brand. Group B and Can Am both died mainly because they became too dangerous.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aardvark86
And it’s saved the brand. Group B and Can Am both died mainly because they became too dangerous.
And there are still people complaining about the halo. After the F2 race some idiot was complaining that it's ruined racing because now drivers aren't afraid of dying, as if drivers being afraid of dying has ever happened while they're racing.

• Wow
Reactions: SSG T and mnole03
And there are still people complaining about the halo. After the F2 race some idiot was complaining that it's ruined racing because now drivers aren't afraid of dying, as if drivers being afraid of dying has ever happened while they're racing.
That’s such a bad take because Formula racing has never been so technically boring. These guys are all so good. Simulators and data changed the way drivers approach tracks. No one is feeling out their line.

Last edited:
That’s such a bad take because F1 has never been so technically boring. These guys are all so good. Simulators and data changed the way drivers approach tracks. No one is feeling out their line.
Definitely true. The double pass and then retaking of position by Hamilton/Perez/Leclerc may have been some of the more exciting racing I've seen before. But yes, the drivers already know the optimum line when they get to the tracks, they've practiced them hundreds of times. At the time of race it all becomes about managing tires, making certain to stay out of trouble and just don't make an error. Changes in position generally come primarily from either major mistakes (Which are rare amongst the top drivers) or a team taking a particularly poor strategy or just getting caught out by a safety car.

We'd have an actual battle between Leclerc and Verstappen this year if Ferrari's strategy wasn't so absolutely terrible.

That’s such a bad take because Formula racing has never been so technically boring. These guys are all so good. Simulators and data changed the way drivers approach tracks. No one is feeling out their line.

I will say this, the new regs have allowed closer racing than we've seen in the last few years. Before, you had about a 3 lap window to pass, otherwise your choices were to back out or shred your tires. There was no way to stay close to the car in front. Now they can race close for significantly longer.

And your right, the last 10 laps were some of the best racing in the last 15 years. Basically had 5 cars, from 5 different teams, shooting it out for a podium and no one really able to pull away.

Definitely true. The double pass and then retaking of position by Hamilton/Perez/Leclerc may have been some of the more exciting racing I've seen before. But yes, the drivers already know the optimum line when they get to the tracks, they've practiced them hundreds of times. At the time of race it all becomes about managing tires, making certain to stay out of trouble and just don't make an error. Changes in position generally come primarily from either major mistakes (Which are rare amongst the top drivers) or a team taking a particularly poor strategy or just getting caught out by a safety car.

We'd have an actual battle between Leclerc and Verstappen this year if Ferrari's strategy wasn't so absolutely terrible.

I listen to the F1 podcasts, Beyong The Grid w/Tom Clarkson. He has drivers, team principals, mechanics, designers, etc on for interviews. Some of the guests were around for both the 80s/90s and more recent. Listening to them talk about how dramatic the changes in design they've had just because of the wind tunnels and data acquisition programs is incredible.

Basically, up until about the last 15-18 years, they were completely guessing on the airflow. They'd make a change, see how the car ran, then decide to keep it or not. If they missed b3fore the season, it might take the entire season to fix it.

Now, they run it in the wind tunnel, get the data, make tweaks, put the upgrade on the car and go. The difference between the best and worst teams is the cost and availability in the airflow data.

Now, I haven't looked this year to see the difference in average times between the top and bottom teams, but it "feels" closer than in past seasons, so maybe the new regs have minimized that.

What kills me, everyone loves it when rain is predicted, because of the chaos it brings. Then it rains, chaos ensues, and people complain because the best drivers aren't winning.

Me, I'd rather see close racing, in the dry, with the cars blasting through high speed corners and passes in the tight corners.

I will say this, the new regs have allowed closer racing than we've seen in the last few years. Before, you had about a 3 lap window to pass, otherwise your choices were to back out or shred your tires. There was no way to stay close to the car in front. Now they can race close for significantly longer.

And your right, the last 10 laps were some of the best racing in the last 15 years. Basically had 5 cars, from 5 different teams, shooting it out for a podium and no one really able to pull away.
I think the product is excellent. There are tracks that I dislike, but that’s life. I think the rules and regs have certainly made for more enjoyable racing in the past few years.

I do think F1 is like the PGA, in that you have to have an understanding of exactly how good these guys are to truly appreciate it.

I think the product is excellent. There are tracks that I dislike, but that’s life. I think the rules and regs have certainly made for more enjoyable racing in the past few years.

I do think F1 is like the PGA, in that you have to have an understanding of exactly how good these guys are to truly appreciate it.

I mentioned this in a different thread, Monaco is easily the worst race to watch. It's just follow the leader for 70+ laps. It's the history and glamor that makes it fun.

I like, for the most part, the big, wide, high speed tracks that allow for more passing. Silverstone, Spa, Ricard, even Baku. A lot of that has to do with the size of the cars now. I mean, I love Zandvort, but it was better racing 20-30 years ago with smaller cars. Suzuka is kind of the same.

I mentioned this in a different thread, Monaco is easily the worst race to watch. It's just follow the leader for 70+ laps. It's the history and glamor that makes it fun.

I like, for the most part, the big, wide, high speed tracks that allow for more passing. Silverstone, Spa, Ricard, even Baku. A lot of that has to do with the size of the cars now. I mean, I love Zandvort, but it was better racing 20-30 years ago with smaller cars. Suzuka is kind of the same.
Spa is off the schedule next year 😡. Makes no sense.

it's not just simulators and data. when you have in-race strategy calls being made in a control center that is in sometimes thousands of miles from the track, you've truly changed the nature of the game.

The other part of Gallagher's talk that was really interesting was how they've reworked the revenue mix, given their history of having major ad sponsors (cigarettes) being yanked from them. IP licensing/consulting is now their biggest revenue source. My favorite example is that F1 engineers designed shelving for grocery stores that in essence keeps the "cool" on the refrigerated sections shelves, and not dissipating into the aisles.

it's not just simulators and data. when you have in-race strategy calls being made in a control center that is in sometimes thousands of miles from the track, you've truly changed the nature of the game.

The other part of Gallagher's talk that was really interesting was how they've reworked the revenue mix, given their history of having major ad sponsors (cigarettes) being yanked from them. IP licensing/consulting is now their biggest revenue source. My favorite example is that F1 engineers designed shelving for grocery stores that in essence keeps the "cool" on the refrigerated sections shelves, and not dissipating into the aisles.
Honestly, for pure racing I think I enjoy IndyCar better. Since all the cars are very similar (Although there are some differences, especially in relation to how hard you can afford to push an engine and in some small improvements to braking that are allowed) the top drivers don't always win. There are different teams on top every week and the top drivers often falling back in the pack. It feels more organic and to some extent, guessing like the older days.

They don't have the same kind of money to put into the cars so it's more just the driver and the team figuring it out.

Reactions: Aardvark86

I’m sure that was a fascinating talk.

I’ve always wondered about the engineers and how they feel about rule changes. Whether the cat and mouse thing is fun, or whether they’d rather further develop technology.

F1 engineers were on the cutting edge of traction control, active aero, materials based aero, and plenty of other things that were banned but paradigm shifting in the auto industry.

I listen to the F1 podcasts, Beyong The Grid w/Tom Clarkson. He has drivers, team principals, mechanics, designers, etc on for interviews. Some of the guests were around for both the 80s/90s and more recent. Listening to them talk about how dramatic the changes in design they've had just because of the wind tunnels and data acquisition programs is incredible.

Basically, up until about the last 15-18 years, they were completely guessing on the airflow. They'd make a change, see how the car ran, then decide to keep it or not. If they missed b3fore the season, it might take the entire season to fix it.

Now, they run it in the wind tunnel, get the data, make tweaks, put the upgrade on the car and go. The difference between the best and worst teams is the cost and availability in the airflow data.

Now, I haven't looked this year to see the difference in average times between the top and bottom teams, but it "feels" closer than in past seasons, so maybe the new regs have minimized that.
Toto better be looking over his shoulder!!

Absolutely the best wheel to wheel racing I've seen since I started following the sport. Great stuff. It's so much better this year now that the cars can actually follow closely without losing performance.

The amount of protection that F1 drivers now experience probably rivals that of the an Abrams tank driver. The same could probably be said about Indy car drivers as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT