ADVERTISEMENT

Big Day for Funerals/ Visitations today...

joelbc1

HR King
Gold Member
Sep 5, 2007
you can’t always get what you want!
Of course there is the Queen’s funeral, fully televised on TV for all to see. It will be spectacular I am sure. I will be paying close attention to the music played. (Rumor has it “Where the Boys Are” and “Papa Was a Rolling Stone” are surprise selections.)
Locally, entrepreneur and bartender to the masses, Joe Yacavona has his visitation this evening on Des Moines’ southside. Joe was a legend in the Des Moines bar business (PAL Joey’s) and a huge Hawkeye booster. Former radio broadcaster Jim Zabel is most excited to be joined again with PJ...Zabel hasn’t had a free drink in years! One of the best night’s I ever experienced at PJ’s was after a Spring football banquet in Des Moines, stopping off at PJ’s to have a cocktail, and there were 4-5 Iowa assistant coaches there tending bar, waiting tables while Joey sat back behind the bar, smiling! PJ ran one helluva joint back in the day! (There well might be a Barry Alvarez sighting this evening in Des Moines.)

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
Turning on American morning news when I got up only to to see wall to wall breathless live coverage was a bit of a roll eyes moment for me. I can’t believe how much attention our media continues to give to it. Big event and deserves some coverage but it’s been nuts for 10 days and there is a lot more important things going on.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT